Can I mix these two memory modules?

On my Z97 Sabertooth motherboard, I currently have the following memory modules:

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R

I want to add some more memory, but cannot find the above make/model anywhere. Is it OK if I add one of the following to the system alongside the above?

Ballistix Sport XT 8GB Single DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL10 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLS8G3D18ADS3

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-PC3-14900-240-Pin-Memory-BLS2C8G3D18ADS3/dp/B00D9QFSUE

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233278

16GB Module DDR3 1866MHz PC3-14900 / PC3-15000 240-pin DIMM 1.5V CL10 PC Desktop Memory

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7S65619004

Otherwise, would you be able to suggest some alternative options?

Any advice/help appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by Bearfoot

The modules are not what designates the ram to single or duel channel, it's the motherboard. Ideally you want matched pairs for dual channel, but it's not always needed.you can take two of the first sticks and run them in dual channel no problem. You can also run different brands if you must as long as you are matching them in dual channel. Ie ist pair one brand and second pair a different brand.

With respect to making sure matched pairs in a dual channel, I have 4 memory slots, counter-shaded tan, dark, tan, dark, as can be seen here:

https://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z97/assets/img/thumbs/enlarge/sabertooth-z97-1.jpg

I assume that the adjacent tan + dark are a matched channel? Or is tan + tan one matched channel and dark + dark the other matched channel?

So, if I have 2 sticks of Type "A" and two sticks of Type "B", should I put them in as:

AABB

or

ABAB

?

Right now, they are in: "AA__" configuration. The leftmost stick is touching my CPU fan box :(

For dual channel you should usually put them in the matching color slots. Check your motherboard manual, I'm sure it explains it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

For dual channel you should usually put them in the matching color slots. Check your motherboard manual, I'm sure it explains it.

Ah, yes, RTFM!

Ok, here is the relevant page:

wPWhKQ0.jpg

The next page of the manual says,

"""

You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel con guration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.

"""

It seems that the first two slots are one channel, "A", and the next two are the other channel, "B"? Am I reading that correctly? If so, then in my case, each pair of different color slots forms a channel pair, and I should go for the AABB configuration?

Or am I reading that wrongly, and it "1" and "2" are the two channels, and "A" and "B" are the sequence, in which case I should be going for the "ABAB" configuration?

Edited by Bearfoot

The color indicates the pair of RAM.

A1 and B1 for the first pair (Vengeance Pro), A2 and B2 for the second (Vengeance).

Hi Demon_!

Thanks ... but then why does the text say "You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B", which implies A(1+2) forming one channel and B(1+2) forming the other? Or is the pairing of RAM different from the pairing of channels?

Size?

That mean the first pair (Channel A) can be 2x8GB, or 2x4GB, or 2x16GB, or 2x2GB ...

the second pair (Channel B) can be 2x4GB, or 2x2GB, or 2x16GB, or 2x8GB ...

Both pair don't need to be the same size ( Ex: 2x8GB).

The two pair will run at the speed of slower one. For you, that will be the Vengeance 1866Mhz 10-11-10-30.

Both run at the same voltage 1.5v.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

It's not that it is not allowed to put them in any slot you want, just that timings will be likely off due to different length of the connecting circuits on the motherboard, that is why SLOT-2 is your DEFAULT slot on any recent Intel board with Dual Channel ( 4 Slots ), since...way back.

You can, sometimes have to to revive the board, install modules in DIFFERENT slots, dont ask me why but it has happend more often recently. SOmetimes putting them in thew first 2 slots will make your board boot, sometimes only 1 module in SLot 1...you never know what it may be if the board wont boot due to overclocking or just a bad day, seen all that. It is not common but it does happen.

2 modules = always Slot 2+4

4 modules = all slots

1 module = SLot 2

3 modules = like 2 modules and the third goes into 1 or 3, try either one.

Any other combination is a temporary fix to get it booting, then revert to the default layout.

Mixing RAM may work, may not. You will only know when you try. The faster, the denser, the further apart from specs both pairs are...the lesser your chances, keep that in mind !

*edit; Look at Asus Apex board, it only has 2 slots for one reason, signal integrity. With any combination with more than 2 Slots occupied you sacrifice potential overclocking headroom.

Signal quality is assured to JDEC specs, any above may or may not make you happy ! Asus decided to make you surely happy and left 1 and 3 out of the equation.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

2 modules = always Slot 2+4

4 modules = all slots

1 module = SLot 2

3 modules = like 2 modules and the third goes into 1 or 3, try either one.

This is great info!

In my ignorance, for the last two years, I've had my two 8G sticks in 3+4!!!!

Right now, in preparation for the incoming (new) RAM, I moved them to 1+2 ... still wrong!!!

When the new sticks coming, I will have old sticks on 1+3 (mainly because I had to work VERY hard to squeeze stick into slot 1, due to the Evo fan/cooler block, so I don't want to move it), and new on 2+4.

Thanks!

This is great info!

In my ignorance, for the last two years, I've had my two 8G sticks in 3+4!!!!

Right now, in preparation for the incoming (new) RAM, I moved them to 1+2 ... still wrong!!!

When the new sticks coming, I will have old sticks on 1+3 (mainly because I had to work VERY hard to squeeze stick into slot 1, due to the Evo fan/cooler block, so I don't want to move it), and new on 2+4.

Thanks!

That's a crucial thing to know when you work on RAM !

tripple or quad channel have similar rules !!!

It's a RTFM :smartass:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

3+4 is a SINGLE CHANNEL SETUP as well, REAL BAD !!!

you skipped 64bit width and have cut your bandwidth in HALF by doing so !

Download Aida64 and check the speed with it's tests, you will see the bandwidth numbers double when properly configured

3+4 is a SINGLE CHANNEL SETUP as well, REAL BAD !!!

you skipped 64bit width and have cut your bandwidth in HALF by doing so !

Download Aida64 and check the speed with it's tests, you will see the bandwidth numbers double when properly configured

Ha! For years I have been running this crippled set up!!

Ignorance is bliss :( :( :(

I just moved the current sticks to 1+3. On Thursday, the new sticks arrive, and they will go into 2+4.

Will check with Aida64, as you suggest ...

I'll Chime in late,

I have extensive background in building PC's.

Mixing Memory Brands and Kits is not recommended.

So if you want to upgrade from say 16GB (8GBx2), to 32 GB (8GBx4), it's best to buy an Actual 4 DIMM Kit and sell the 2 DIMM Kit to make up some costs.

Mixing Kits (even 2 Kits w/ the same model number) isnt recommended because each kit is Produced and matched, while the general specs are identical (DDRx-XXXX), the Advanced Timings are likely different per kit, when the Memory Profile is generated, based on the Memory Chips Quality etc etc.

I've had people buy Dual 2X Dimm Kits from the same store, and while they were the same model and rated speed, with Identical CAS, some of the advanced timings were in fact different and when pushed, the memory would cause errors.

Mixing Brands and Models is even Worse

(ie Muskin DDR4-2866 w/ G.Skill DDR4-2866 or Same Brand But Different model #'s w/ Same General Specs).

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Even mixing identical make model does not work

I had 2 x 4g corsair ram ... 6 months later bought another 2 x 4g corsair ram

identical model and exactly the same type, buggers refused to work together

no matter what I tried

Ended up selling them and buying 2 x 8G , no issues

lesson I learnt , buy bigger then you think you might need

Still rockin Windows 7 64bit

I'll Chime in late,

I have extensive background in building PC's.

Mixing Memory Brands and Kits is not recommended.

So if you want to upgrade from say 16GB (8GBx2), to 32 GB (8GBx4), it's best to buy an Actual 4 DIMM Kit and sell the 2 DIMM Kit to make up some costs.

Mixing Kits (even 2 Kits w/ the same model number) isnt recommended because each kit is Produced and matched, while the general specs are identical (DDRx-XXXX), the Advanced Timings are likely different per kit, when the Memory Profile is generated, based on the Memory Chips Quality etc etc.

I've had people buy Dual 2X Dimm Kits from the same store, and while they were the same model and rated speed, with Identical CAS, some of the advanced timings were in fact different and when pushed, the memory would cause errors.

Mixing Brands and Models is even Worse

(ie Muskin DDR4-2866 w/ G.Skill DDR4-2866 or Same Brand But Different model #'s w/ Same General Specs).

Thanks.

As I said, I've already ordered the memory. However, I have the option to return them within 30 days.

Is there a way for me to check if everything works before I decide to either keep it or return it? For e.g., can I assume that if everything boots up and I can get into my desktop, things will be OK? Or if I run, e.g., the Aida64 test, without problems everything will be OK. Or will these issues crop up much later or randomly in an unpredictable way?

I'm doubtful of being able to recover much money from my 2 year old RAM if I were to sell it :(

Boot Windows, Use Windows MemTest86 (there are abotu a dozen+ Windows Versions of memTest now by different publishers.)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Boot Windows, Use Windows MemTest86 (there are abotu a dozen+ Windows Versions of memTest now by different publishers.)

Thanks!

You're right about all the versions! What's curious is that some seem to require you to run off bootable media, e.g. :

http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.memtest.org/

While others are a normal executable, e.g.:

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Running the latter now on my existing memory to make sure things are good even before the new memory is installed!

Dont assume that because it boots it is ok

I recommend you do a proper memory test, the windows one is useless

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Get this use it on a cd or usb stick

reboot pc and boot from the cd or usb you stuck memtest on

I have used this one on 100's of machines

Hirens boot cd also has a version on it (its older but works well)

Edited by wash_hoban

Still rockin Windows 7 64bit

+1 to SkateZilla's tip to not favour mixing modules !

Memtest x86

IntelBurnTest IBT v. 26

Aida64

All thise can check ram, memtest is maybe the most straight forward tester there is. Prefer to boot it vs. Win-version

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk