Barefoot Bandit

Seeing as it's 40% off and all...

I already had the A-10C and Huey,

I've added:

Black Shark II

P51

FW190 D-9 Dora

Mig-15

Is there any "must have" aircraft module I should add? to the above? I'm looking at picking up the Normandy pack as well.

Ideally, I like realism, but if there is a particular module that is super fun, even if it's not quite the peak of authenticity, I'm interested.

For the record, I'm pretty new and just learning to fly the A-10 (as its my first module) and the Huey.

I got the Black Shark because it brings back memories of Gunship back on my Atari ST as a kid.

I'm open to all aircraft types...

Z...

Maybe get some campaigns instead of a plane module

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Get the Mirage2000. It has one of the best campaigns I've played so far. Teaches you to fly the aircraft properly instead of just dumping you in the "deep end" of the pool.

• Like 1

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Seeing as it's 40% off and all...

I already had the A-10C and Huey,

I've added:

Black Shark II

P51

FW190 D-9 Dora

Mig-15

Is there any "must have" aircraft module I should add? to the above? I'm looking at picking up the Normandy pack as well.

Ideally, I like realism, but if there is a particular module that is super fun, even if it's not quite the peak of authenticity, I'm interested.

For the record, I'm pretty new and just learning to fly the A-10 (as its my first module) and the Huey.

I got the Black Shark because it brings back memories of Gunship back on my Atari ST as a kid.

I'm open to all aircraft types...

Z...

I know the F-15 isn't a clickable cockpit...but it's lots of fun an still has lots of interactive systems.

You can get the FC3 package with lots of planes including the F-15.

:thumbup:

Get the Mirage2000. It has one of the best campaigns I've played so far. Teaches you to fly the aircraft properly instead of just dumping you in the "deep end" of the pool.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

get nevada

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'm a big fan of Baltic Dragon's "The Enemy Within" campaign. You really need to know your stuff in the A-10C to enjoy it, like inputting target coordinates mid flight and making good use of sensors and weapons. Unfortunately, there are some DCS bugs that affect the campaign, like JTAC problems. But it's still an amazing campaign.

Ranger 79's "Piercing Fury" is excellent as well!

And a big +1 for the M-2000C - the campaign was created by Baltic Dragon as well and it's amazing. :thumbup:

As far as must-have aircraft go, with A-10C and Huey you've got the 2 modules I enjoy the most. If you want to get good at them, put everything else aside for 2+ years. :smartass:

But seriously, your choice of modules looks pretty good.

I think Normandy is going to be amazing, and the pre-purchase bundle for map + asset pack is well worth it for me. Might be a better deal to have different maps to fly in than to have a big bunch of different aircraft. Then again, I'm a long-time DCS pilot and I have almost all of them - but I mostly fly A-10C, Huey and Gazelle.

Why not Cliffs?:thumbup: You get a handful of aircraft that are all Fun to fly:pilotfly::music_whistling::D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

Thanks for the suggestions all!

BTW - I already have Nevada - forgot to mention... I travel to Vegas frequently, and am quite familiar with the surrounds, so wanted it to fly around the areas I normally drive around, and see just how accurate it is.

Anyways, thanks again, I think I'll be adding quite a few of the above suggestions.

Z...

I am more a collector, currently, basically bought any module over the last decade, but if I would pick a preference from the fun perspective... Flaming Cliffs for the F-15C and SU-27 (...and a bunch of other "non-clickable").

The Mirage 2000C from Razbam and for simple "flying" (not so much fighting) the Hawk, but be warned it is currently, still in beta with a couple bugs the Team is ironing out along with giving it dual cockpit in Multiplayer and optimizing.

It boils down to your preference, anyway.

I still need to find a "bad" DCS module I cannot enjoy. ;)

EDIT .. to give you an idea about the "fun aspect" in the Hawk. And mind that I suck at this. :D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185274

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I am more a collector, currently, basically bought any module over the last decade, but if I would pick a preference from the fun perspective... Flaming Cliffs for the F-15C and SU-27 (...and a bunch of other "non-clickable").

The Mirage 2000C from Razbam and for simple "flying" (not so much fighting) the Hawk, but be warned it is currently, still in beta with a couple bugs the Team is ironing out along with giving it dual cockpit in Multiplayer and optimizing.

It boils down to your preference, anyway.

I still need to find a "bad" DCS module I cannot enjoy. ;)

EDIT .. to give you an idea about the "fun aspect" in the Hawk. And mind that I suck at this. :D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185274

^ this.

While we all have favourites, each module has something unique to offer and will provide enjoyment (and frustration at times) while you lean to handle its flight characteristics and systems.

Then again, I'm a long-time DCS pilot and I have almost all of them - but I mostly fly A-10C, Huey and Gazelle.

hey yurgon, i wanted to get gazelle for some time now but i keep hesitating about it. I have the huey and i love flying it. On the other hand i dont really enjoy flying ka-50 that much, module is pretty good but i dont know what it is, huey is just different. And the reason for my hesitation about buying gazelle is if the same thing about ka-50 happen on gazelle too. Can you compare them a bit for me since you have both?

ps: i dont mind learning systems or reading manuals, i just need to enjoy it^^

Can you compare them a bit for me since you have both?

Sure. The Ka-50 has this incredible autopilot, which is intimately integrated with the trim. Or the other way around. Once you wrap your head around it, you can fly it hands-free, which is awesome. The Ka-50 packs a tremendous punch. 12 ATGMs + rockets + gun, that's impressive firepower. But it also makes the flight model feel somewhat sterile unless the pilot disengages all AP channels, which AFAIK is actually prohibited in RL operations.

The Gazelle on the other hand is very agile and nimble. It's very easy to overcontrol and get into pilot induced oscillations. The trick really is to do less with the stick. Properly trimmed, the chopper can be actually lifted into a hover hands-free. In some regimes, the flight model feels unusual compared to all other DCS choppers. I'm not saying its wrong, just saying it feels a bit weird. AFAIK the stability augmentation system that is unique to the SA-342 (and not integrated in the civilian SA-341) can also take a lot of work out of the pilot's hands. Still, the chopper feels a lot more nimble than the Ka-50.

In terms of systems, the Gazelle is a lot easier, I mean a lot. Learning the cold start takes like 3, 4 tries, unlike the Ka-50 with its gazillion switches and buttons and knobs and systems. With only 4 HOT missiles, it's even more important to make every shot count.

All things considered, I love the Ka-50, it was my first DCS module and I have so many fond memories of missions, both SP and MP. The Gazelle is really cool, I enjoy flying it because of its fun flight characteristics. The MP cockpit is a really cool feature, but still work in progress. I hope PC will eventually finish the module. I can't currently recommend it 100%, more like 95%. If you have the cash and some time to check it out, I think it's worth it, but if you're unsure, it might be better to hold off on it until the devs get back to it. In any case, I really enjoy it and I didn't regret buying it for a second.

Once you wrap your head around it, you can fly it hands-free, which is awesome.But it also makes the flight model feel somewhat sterile unless the pilot disengages all AP channels, which AFAIK is actually prohibited in RL operations.

Thats the reason i dont enjoy it that much. Huey was my first sim helicopter experience and before that everything i know about flying a helicopter came from the Battlefield etc. Ka-50 s too smooth flying probably reminded me of that. I mean the first time i tried to land huey on the runway i actually managed to crash-land it on the field next to the runway:d.

The Gazelle on the other hand is very agile and nimble. It's very easy to overcontrol and get into pilot induced oscillations.

I think i ll enjoy flying that and youve convinced me, thanks for your answer.

Thats the reason i dont enjoy it that much. Huey was my first sim helicopter experience and before that everything i know about flying a helicopter came from the Battlefield etc. Ka-50 s too smooth flying probably reminded me of that. I mean the first time i tried to land huey on the runway i actually managed to crash-land it on the field next to the runway:d.

I think i ll enjoy flying that and youve convinced me, thanks for your answer.

What Yurgon said, plus the Stability Augmentation System is very different from the Ka-50.

It helps you in forward flight, even has very simple Autopilot modes, but it still requires full concentration to fly the SA-342 with SAS engaged.

There is an SAS "master" override on the Cyclic to disengage/re-engage the SAS, that is what you do when slow and in tight turns etc.

I recommend to dampen the X and Y Axis Y-Saturation to about 60% unless you use a specific "long throw helicopter cyclic".

It is how the PolyChop CEO is flying that chopper and his tipps helped a lot, to handle it properly.

Our Joystick-Axis don't translate well to the real life ones.

When transitioning from the Huey to the Gazelle, take your time, it feels sooo twitchy at first, but after a couple hours muscle memory "clicks" and you get used to it. Do NOT switch between Huey and Gazelle, until you have that "click" moment... I did and it was a source of frustration to overcome the "Huey memory" everytime, until I focused a couple days on the Gazelle, only.

Enjoy the new toy, and happy flying. :)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

What Yurgon said, plus the Stability Augmentation System is very different from the Ka-50.

It helps you in forward flight, even has very simple Autopilot modes, but it still requires full concentration to fly the SA-342 with SAS engaged.

There is an SAS "master" override on the Cyclic to disengage/re-engage the SAS, that is what you do when slow and in tight turns etc.

I recommend to dampen the X and Y Axis Y-Saturation to about 60% unless you use a specific "long throw helicopter cyclic".

It is how the PolyChop CEO is flying that chopper and his tipps helped a lot, to handle it properly.

Our Joystick-Axis don't translate well to the real life ones.

When transitioning from the Huey to the Gazelle, take your time, it feels sooo twitchy at first, but after a couple hours muscle memory "clicks" and you get used to it. Do NOT switch between Huey and Gazelle, until you have that "click" moment... I did and it was a source of frustration to overcome the "Huey memory" everytime, until I focused a couple days on the Gazelle, only.

Enjoy the new toy, and happy flying. :)

i ve just tried it out, seems like a fun little bird to fly^^. I dont now if its cos of the axis saturation or not but it feels like there is a lot of delay between my inputs and heli s reaction. I will try changing saturation values just in case.

No it actually is what you need to train... The axis Y-Saturation helps with not over controlling too much.

IRL the stick is much longer and the inputs translate to very little movement. With a normal joystick every movement is virtually amplified about 4 times.

You move the real life cyclic 2cm and with a short throw Warthog 25% of the length it should be 4-5mm of movement... Hope I explain it correct. :D

Shagrat

No it actually is what you need to train... The axis Y-Saturation helps with not over controlling too much.

IRL the stick is much longer and the inputs translate to very little movement. With a normal joystick every movement is virtually amplified about 4 times.

You move the real life cyclic 2cm and with a short throw Warthog 25% of the length it should be 4-5mm of movement... Hope I explain it correct. :D

got it:d

i saw couple of people doing some modifications on tm warthogs stick to make it longer, do you know anything about that? is it worth doing it?

got it:d

i saw couple of people doing some modifications on tm warthogs stick to make it longer, do you know anything about that? is it worth doing it?

Have a look at my signature. I built an extension myself so I reduce the Y-Saturation much less... ;)

Shagrat

To be precise, an extension of about 15-20cm already helps a lot, when it comes to helicopters and WW II Warbirds.

Most planes with a center mounted stick have a longer axis than we have.

Shagrat

I really want SEPECAT Jaguar and AV-8B+, and AH-1W SuperCobra

You should at least invest the 35 sec to read the first post of a thread to understand what it is about... :music_whistling:

Shagrat