Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

I got "Chuck's A-10 Guilde, to work in VR!!!

Kewl, what did you do to get it to work?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I recently moved DCS to a separate drive from my Windows C drive and now the Kneeboard builder won't work.

https://i.imgur.com/z9O86Dd.png

When I click save and re-open the Preferences window, the install directory will be blank.

For one thing, KBB is pointing to the OpenBeta installation, while you have selected the 'DCS World Install Directory' parameter 'Standard', which should be 'OpenBeta'.

I am having trouble with preference in Kneeboard I get an error (see screen shot)when saving in spite of having the proper location of DCS on my E drive any ideas why and its the same if E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta as location

First off, in KBB Preferences you have selected 'E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics' and not 'E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta'.

I see that your '\Users' folder is on 'C:', while your settings shows '\Program Files' on 'E:'. Now, I'm not saying that such and installation is impossible --I've done some wild things on Windows installations back in the day as well--, but I suspect that you might have originally installed into 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta' and later moved your installation to the 'E:' drive.

--

With regards to moving the DCS installation folder, principally it is possible to do this and have it work without issue. I've done it myself. But there is an easy and simple way to do it, and a lot of other ways, which can be... problematic.

The Easy Way

1. Move your 'DCS World[ OpenBeta]' folder to it's new location on another disk (moving to a new location on the same disk makes no sense an will give you no advantage).

2. Create a Directory Symbolic Link --NOT A WINDOWS SHORT CUT!!-- in 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics' pointing to 'DCS World[ OpenBeta]' in its new location.

E.G.:

A: Open a Command Prompt Window with Administrator privileges in 'C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics', or open it elsewhere and navigate to here.

B: Type 'mklink /D "DCS World[ OpenBeta]" "E:\Some Folder Name\DCS World[ OpenBeta]"' and press <Enter>, where '[ OpenBeta]' is optional depending on the DCS version, and all apostrophes (') are to be left off, as they are only for illustrative purposes only, but all quotes (") must be included.

That's it! You don't have to change anything else like icon properties on your desktop, nor do a repairs or clean runs of your installation. Just start and enjoy as usual :thumbup:

--

Command Prompt Window with Administrator Privileges

Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

Open command window here as administrator - Add in Windows 10

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I have increased my monitors size from 3840x1080 to 4820x1080 by adding a 3rd screen to my right. However, in the Kneeboard setting, DCS resolution, it still has the width as 3820 even though I have changed the DCS resolution in the game. Any thoughts on how to increase the kneeboard settings so the KB will appear on my 3rd screen (starting at 3841)?

Did you update your Kneeboard profile for the aircraft in question and save it again?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Version 1.7.1.0 Released

Version 1.7.1.0 is now available.

-Added support for aircraft mods like the A-4E installed in the Saved Games/DCS/Mods directory.

-Added 'Custom' option to the DCS Install Directory drop down in Preferences to allow for using saved games folders that don't match up with DCS installs. When using the 'Custom' option the saved games folder must point directly to the subfolder for DCS, ie ...Saved Games/DCS.openbeta.

-Changed the 'Kneeboard Settings' option to 'Kneeboard Profiles' with 'Modify' and 'Reset Default' submenu options.

-Added F/A-18C and A-4E images to Kneeboard Profiles page.

A few notes:

1) I originally coded the DCS Install Directory paths to automatically locate the correct paths when 'Standard', 'OpenBeta' etc were selected to make it easy for people to setup. This also automatically linked the DCS installation with the correct DCS saved games folder for default installations. However, it hasn't playing well with some folks' setups so I have added the 'Custom' option. When you select the custom option you can manually select a saved games subfolder that doesn't have to match with the Standard or OpenBeta schema. So technically you should be able to have an OpenBeta install but use the Standard install's saved games folder for example. It should also fix problems that arise when you move DCS installs to different drives. Hopefully that makes sense and solves some issues a few of you have been running into.

2) Whenever you select a Kneeboard Profile to change the kneeboard size or position for an aircraft, Kneeboard Builder modifies a single line in that aircraft's 'device_init.lua' file (generally located in .../Mods/aircraft/aircraftname/cockpit/scripts) to point to the custom kneeboard settings in your saved games directory. This allows for the custom settings to pass integrity checks. I added the 'Reset Default' submenu to the 'Kneeboard Profiles' (formerly Kneeboard Settings') menu. This will restore those files that were modified and revert to the default kneeboard for all aircraft. This has no effect on your custom kneeboard images or groups and will not delete or modify any of your saved kneeboard profiles. It is an easy way to revert to back to the default kneeboard sizing and positioning.

Feel free to contact me with any problems or concerns.

Thanks a lot ... the A-4E support is very welcomed :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

for some time impossible to move or change the size of the tablet, it remains in the same position I can change the colors, add images by ...... I play VR and I really need the tablet If someone has an idea !

dcs.jpg

Thanks

Same issue here exactly. Did you ever get an answer to the issue? Even after I reposition to a different location and save it, it places it in exactly the same place (cut off as well) but colors do change. I do not want to have to deal with a failed integrity check so would like to get it work in the saved game section.

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

Hello

doesn't work any more, I always have this at start, if i click OK, it closes

error.png

Looks like there is a bug with the 'lite mode' option. For now you can disable it by opening the 'KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config' file in the Kneeboard Builder folder with a text editor and change the line:

<add key="LiteMode" value="True" />

to

<add key="LiteMode" value="False" />

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try working on a fix for it.

• 2 weeks later...

PDF Import Resolution DPI

In digital images, the DPI is actually only in reference to printing the image; eg Dots Per Inch on the printed page. In digital display, only the image size in pixels(WxH) plays a role.

When using Photoshop to change the DPI of an image starting with 150 DPI to 300 DPI will double the linear size of the image. EG starting image size: 300x400, ending image size 600x800.

When importing a PDF file into KBB, regardless of what is set in the DPI Import Resolution, the resulting images will have 96 DPI, or very nearly --withing a fraction. What will change with the the PDF Import Resolution DPI is the actual size of the created image(s).

Setting the PDF Import Resolution DPI to 96 will result in an image(s) created with the same dimensions as the page size of the PDF file.

The use of DPI is confusing and misleading. IMHO what would be useful for the user would be to determine the output size of the image(s) at the time of import.

The easiest way would be to change the PDF Import Resolution DPI parameter to Size Factor. When set to 1.100, importing a page with the page size of 300x400 would result in an output file dimension of 330x440.

The problem with this is that it would require a large amount of planning and organization on the part of the user to make use of any other setting than 1.000.

What would be extremely useful would be if the user could select a Kneeboard Profile as a reference just before importing. The profile has the definition of the kneeboard display size and using this and the page size of the PDF, it would be simple to calculate the output image size, even if the Kneeboard Size and PDF Page Size do not have the same WxH ratio, the output size could be calculated to allow for the output image to fit on the kneeboard without distortion.

Not fitting the output image size to kneeboard size and ratio, results in distortions and edge clipping.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

This has probably been asked before but is it possible to move the kneeboard Down to the “knee” position for us VR types?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but not without manually editing the file defining the kneeboard position in the lua file defining that.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

When you say "mission related" do you mean the map sections along your waypoints?

From my experience, the kneeboard pages generated by the ME will stay there, even when you add your own pages through the KBB.

However, if you manually add pages, and then add pages through the KBB, the KBB will replace those, which you added manually. In that case, just use the LBB to add those pages as well.

About kneeboard position, you must add a profile for the Viggen as follows:

Start KBB -> Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify -> Aircraft [Viggen] -> Profile <LMB>[+]

-> New Profile Name (Recognizable Name) -> Background Image [Viggen]

-> --(Leave DCS Resolution and Kneeboard size alone)--

-> Drag the Kneeboard window to the position you prefer

-> <LMB>Diskette Icon (Save Profile) -> <LMB>[Close]

Now in the System Tray:

<RMB> [KBB Icon] -> Profiles -> Viggen -> Profile name you choose above -> in DCS -> Start mission in which you fly the Viggen.

If you want to return to the default position settings: Options -> restore defaults.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I don't know why, but now when I chose my default profile and click the minimize button, the mod does NOT appear in the system tray but seems to disappear.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

When you say "mission related" do you mean the map sections along your waypoints?

From my experience, the kneeboard pages generated by the ME will stay there, even when you add your own pages through the KBB.

However, if you manually add pages, and then add pages through the KBB, the KBB will replace those, which you added manually. In that case, just use the LBB to add those pages as well.

About kneeboard position, you must add a profile for the Viggen as follows:

Start KBB -> Options -> Kneeboard Profiles -> Modify -> Aircraft [Viggen] -> Profile <LMB>[+]

-> New Profile Name (Recognizable Name) -> Background Image [Viggen]

-> --(Leave DCS Resolution and Kneeboard size alone)--

-> Drag the Kneeboard window to the position you prefer

-> <LMB>Diskette Icon (Save Profile) -> <LMB>[Close]

Now in the System Tray:

<RMB> [KBB Icon] -> Profiles -> Viggen -> Profile name you choose above -> in DCS -> Start mission in which you fly the Viggen.

If you want to return to the default position settings: Options -> restore defaults.

Thank you for your response. I have the profile created and the kneeboard moved and nothing more. I haven't changed anything else and I'm missing information from the maps. Here is an image of the kneeboard map from the Viggen cold start mission. There should be a number of waypoints on the map.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9vjwzEyBYe8JhBJeA

Firstly, a great program idea and stirling effort for the community. I have 1.7.1.1 and have MFDs exported to my smaller screen (see specs below). Unfortunately my kneeboard wants to stay on that smaller screen, hiding one MFD and only showing a small portion of the kneeboard anyway. I have run your program for both my stable and open beta versions and neither overcomes this issue.

I have noted a couple of things. The program thinks I am running a 3584px x 1440px screen. This may be the problem. I have tried moving the kneeboard over to the left to sort of compensate for this. Doesn't work. I cannot adjust the numbers above.

On a seperate note, the location of my open beta version of DCS World doesn't remain in the preferences. It does on the stable version.

Intel i9-9900K processor at 4.60GHz OC

Windows 10, 64 bit

16GB Corsair DDR4 3200 RAM

Asus GeForce RTX 2080, Dual OC 8GB

27" IIyama screen at 2560x1440

Oculus Rift S

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Saitek Combat rudder pedals

Logitech G13 pad

Thrustmaster MFDs

Firstly, a great program idea and stirling effort for the community. I have 1.7.1.1 and have MFDs exported to my smaller screen (see specs below). Unfortunately my kneeboard wants to stay on that smaller screen, hiding one MFD and only showing a small portion of the kneeboard anyway. I have run your program for both my stable and open beta versions and neither overcomes this issue.

I have noted a couple of things. The program thinks I am running a 3584px x 1440px screen. This may be the problem. I have tried moving the kneeboard over to the left to sort of compensate for this. Doesn't work. I cannot adjust the numbers above.

On a seperate note, the location of my open beta version of DCS World doesn't remain in the preferences. It does on the stable version.

It sounds like you will need to use the 'Width Offset' option in the DCS Resolution panel. By entering -1024 in to the Width Offset it will restrict the kneeboard to your main screen resolution of 2560x1440.