Default Liveries

AH_Solid_Snake

Reading this past weeks ED Newsletter they mentioned having got a lot of detailed liveries for the F-16 through cooperation with the community skin makers, this got me thinking of skins such as the VF-103 and VF-32 packs by flying_isoko available in the user files - they set a standard for well researched liveries with meticulous weathering.

Is this kind of cooperation something Heatblur has / would consider trying to setup?

Reading this past weeks ED Newsletter they mentioned having got a lot of detailed liveries for the F-16 through cooperation with the community skin makers, this got me thinking of skins such as the VF-103 and VF-32 packs by flying_isoko available in the user files - they set a standard for well researched liveries with meticulous weathering.

Is this kind of cooperation something Heatblur has / would consider trying to setup?

IIRC Jabbers did a podcast with HB recently and I think this was mentioned. I could be remembering wrong tho. I too would like to see this as there are some fantastic skin makers out there.

Honestly, I think the amount of default liveries for the B is more than enough with most early to late B squadrons covered, stuff like the Diamondbacks, Swordsmen and Sluggers have at least two modex variations. If we get the same variety and quantity for the A then it's all good.

Honestly, I think the amount of default liveries for the B is more than enough with most early to late B squadrons covered, stuff like the Diamondbacks, Swordsmen and Sluggers have at least two modex variations. If we get the same variety and quantity for the A then it's all good.

Yeah, I guess with the -A the skins we will get more skins due to more squadrons using the -A. What liveries are you looking forward to in the -A?

I have a ridiculous list of hoped for A liveries:

VF-41, VF-14, and VF-211 from OEF

VF-154 circa 1999 and OIF

VF-2, VF-102, and VF-114 from ODS

VF-74 and VF-103 from the mid 1980s

I know we aren't getting a -75-GR, but VF-1 first cruise and Ferris schemes

VF-194, 202, and 302 low vis.

We'll probably only get one or two out of this list. The rest will have to be created by the community.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Two modex variations from different time periods and different cruises: One of the Dbacks is 1996 and the other is 2000. The only default liveries that have consistent cruises with multiple modexes are the Swordsman 101, 102, and 103. And three is not enough to make a cohesive CVW. The two biggest visual immersion-breakers I experience are repeated modexes and tail codes/carrier names that don't match across all the aircraft on the deck.

Edited by Nealius

The challenge with the Bs at this point is limited references for many skins to be truly "accurate". Trying to go through B model squadrons found a lot of gaps on photos of each BuNO/MODEX across VF-211, VF-24, and VF-74. I haven't even gotten to VF-11, VF-32, or VF-103. Heatblur likes to ensure their skins are as correct as possible, down to the stencils.

Another thing is timeframe. For Heatblur, they're not really covering the GWOT period B model, which I believe included JDAM capability, so the skins Isoko has done technically don't fit the included B model. In that regard, theoretically neither do the VF-24 and VF-211 ones because they only had them for a couple of years around I think 89-92?

There's also the test squadrons, like VX-4, VX-9, VX-30, the NAWC Weapons Division, and Weapons Test Squadron at Pt Mugu. Those cover a few Bs but those were not deployed/line birds. Certainly usable for fun on Vegas if you want to pretend it's Fallon.

Really the big thing right now is size. Adding full MODEX options to cover a single squadron means anywhere from 8-12 or so skins, which take up space using the BC7 compression Heatblur is using.

While dynamic MODEX would work for most folks, it would mean using blank BuNOs and MODEX that may not reflect how squadrons did their numbering. I get this is not a deal breaker for some, but it's one of the known holdups from HB using the dynamic MODEX right now.

At this point, the folks wanting more default skins should hold until dynamic MODEX happens, that way you can have maybe 3 skins per squadron. A CAG bird, CO color bird, and line skin with dynamic MODEX setup. That's going to be the most efficient for multiplayer servers. Most squadrons doing RP would supply and support a custom skinpack of individual MODEX and pilots for their squadron so no real issue there, it sounds like this is more a concern for those who like to be on Hoggit or elsewhere and have more options.

I mean the other option is, get a Adobe CC subscription and take a whack at it. There's a whole ton of us on Discord doing this skinning stuff, the Tomcat certainly has a learning curve but it can be a really fun hobby just painting jets.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]