Emergency SAAHS Disengage - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-26-2020, 05:09 AM   #1
lukeXIII

Default Emergency SAAHS Disengage

From the NATOPS flight manual:

Quote:
Pressing the emergency SAAHS disengage switch (paddle switch) located on the control stick grip interrupts the stability augmentation system in all three axes and also removes rudder trim. Releasing the paddle switch restores stability augmentation to those axes selected by the SAS switches and restores the rudder trim.
Quote:
Pressing the paddle switch also disengages the AFC and ALT HOLD switches if they are engaged. Both switches will remain in the off position when the paddle switch is released. The technique of “clicking” the paddle switch may be used to revert from the AFC mode to the SAS mode.
Currently pressing this switch completely resets pitch and roll trim which is not accurate. This is a problem as the use of clicking this switch to revert to the SAS mode results in unwanted pitch/roll action due to the trim reset. Also trying to test this, the rudder trim does not seem to be implemented.
lukeXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Unclezam

Is there any other way to reset pitch/roll trim? Or do you just have to fight the AP set trim after disengaging it, also in real Harrier?

My point is that there should be some way of resetting the AP trim after disengaging.
Unclezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Captain Orso

It's trim. There's no reason to suddenly remove all trim and so-to-say center all trim values, so no there is no center all trim button.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
Unclezam

I am not familiar with real Harrier stick control, is it force feedback where stick points to the direction of the current trim, which would alleviate the issue I am having with DCS harrier AP. Let me explain by example:

When using AP to anchor the plane in tight turn with high roll rate, AP trims nose up a lot. When you try to exit the loop in a hurry (get attacked etc.) disengaging AP will leave you heavily trimmed pitch up. Then it takes some joystick wrestling when you wait the trim button to get the pitch back to normal. This just feels unoptimal, but it is well possible that the real Harrier also has some quirks.
Unclezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
Dreamer 4-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclezam View Post
When using AP to anchor the plane in tight turn with high roll rate, AP trims nose up a lot. When you try to exit the loop in a hurry (get attacked etc.) disengaging AP will leave you heavily trimmed pitch up. Then it takes some joystick wrestling when you wait the trim button to get the pitch back to normal. This just feels unoptimal, but it is well possible that the real Harrier also has some quirks.
This is my experience as well. I am accustomed to seeing the aircraft emerging reasonably stable when I break out of AFC with assertive stick input, now it is all over the place. I see this AFC change as a hugely disappointing “update” by Razbam.

Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Win 10, Ryzen 3600, Msi B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16gb DDR4, RTX2060 Super, Benq XL2730z (1440p), 256GB ssd, 2TB hdd, TM HOTAS X, TM TWCS throttle, wired xbox one controller.

Dreamer 4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:21 AM   #6
lukeXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclezam View Post
Whilst the current AFC implementation has some issues, what you're referring to is not an issue with the AFC trim. A way to demonstrate is to manually trim yourself into level flight with the same roll angle, then perform your same escape manoeuvre. You should end up with very similar nose up trim.
lukeXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
piolin23000

the Harrier it's one of my favorites aircraft to fly and combat in dcs but the AFC change as a hugely disappointing like dreamer 4-2 say, go back before last upgrade, some times that's uncontrollable and it's
more difficult land in tarawa carrier

Last edited by piolin23000; 08-01-2020 at 09:52 PM.
piolin23000 is offline   Reply With Quote