New caucasus map

-IRRE-Rolluptito

So, Novorossiysk airport is there and Marneuil Air base is still missing?

Re-done also implies correct it. :music_whistling:

No it does not.

Re-Done Implies it's being Re-Built for the New Terrain and Rendering Engine from the Source Material used to build the Previous Caucasus, Except this time the Terrain Mesh Resolution is Greatly increased, the objects, trees, forrests, map assets, the environment and textures have all be re-done for the New Engines.

No where does it state that Re-Done means re-collection of source data to modernize to 2017 Operational Accuracy.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-Done Implies it's being Re-Built for the New Terrain and Rendering Engine from the Source Material used to build the Previous Caucasus, Except this time the Terrain Mesh Resolution is Greatly increased, the objects, trees, forrests, map assets, the environment and textures have all be re-done for the New Engines.

No where does it state that Re-Done means re-collection of source data to modernize to 2017 Operational Accuracy.

So I gather the map is staying the same? I mean ED have stated something about a southern extension...

From 30/06/2017 Newsletter:

"...New Caucasus Map. Based on the existing map in DCS World 1.5, we are working on a huge update that will include:

Improved textures for all seasons

Improved and higher resolution ground elevation mesh

Improved ground object textures for buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, etc.

Adding terrain shadows based on time of day

New tree system for more and better-looking forests

Additional map area in the southern portion of the map

Added procedural grass..."

Just a side note, if Marneuli air base was present for the time period of the map, should it not be in the map regardless? I mean I can sorta understand why ED may choose not to include, I'm just saying that if this is the case it should be there...

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Lunatic98,

I get what you are saying and it does make sense. What I wanted to achieve with my post though, was to alternate the expectations a bit. For example my expectations for the DCS 2.5 are placed around late 2019 / early 2020. That's why I said future is clear - new features are coming but with the multitude of things in progress one should not expect this anytime soon - as you said - Q4 17 is just around the corner. Now, Su-33 is getting "just" PFM and they expect to have it in Alpha in late September, which means around December alpha + critical fixes. Now imagine how much more they need to do and there is just that many of them.

No update or progress status usually means there is load of stuff done (coding) that is not visible to the customer eye. So what good would it do to us to hear they finished xxxx amount of code lines...

Edited by NineLine
removed 1.1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

So I gather the map is staying the same? I mean ED have stated something about a southern extension...

From 30/06/2017 Newsletter:

"...New Caucasus Map. Based on the existing map in DCS World 1.5, we are working on a huge update that will include:

Improved textures for all seasons

Improved and higher resolution ground elevation mesh

Improved ground object textures for buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, etc.

Adding terrain shadows based on time of day

New tree system for more and better-looking forests

Additional map area in the southern portion of the map

Added procedural grass..."

Just a side note, if Marneuli air base was present for the time period of the map, should it not be in the map regardless? I mean I can sorta understand why ED may choose not to include, I'm just saying that if this is the case it should be there...

Correct it's extended south, i was just making a statement in regards to the definition of "re-done"

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Lunatic98,

I get what you are saying and it does make sense. What I wanted to achieve with my post though, was to alternate the expectations a bit. For example my expectations for the DCS 2.5 are placed around late 2019 / early 2020. That's why I said future is clear - new features are coming but with the multitude of things in progress one should not expect this anytime soon - as you said - Q4 17 is just around the corner. Now, Su-33 is getting "just" PFM and they expect to have it in Alpha in late September, which means around December alpha + critical fixes. Now imagine how much more they need to do and there is just that many of them.

No update or progress status usually means there is s***load of stuff done (coding) that is not visible to the customer eye. So what good would it do to us to hear they finished xxxx amount of code lines...

Sure, no problem :) I fully understand the scope of what ED plans to do as far as we all know. I'm not trying to say that my expectations for it are earlier, I would just like a small status update. Obviously if it's going to be the same thing for weeks on end (like coding everything) then sure, the updates don't mean much but it's nice to see some life.

I agree with your idea that lack of information most likely means 'under-the-hood' changes so to speak, but again that's speculative (though logical speculation nonetheless) it would be good to see some form of clarification from ED on what the status is - not necessarily exactly (referring to your example of the exact amount of lines of code) but at what stage in development it is, i.e coding, implementing of technologies, reworking bits of the map etc etc etc... Just so we can better be sure what stage we're at.

Correct it's extended south, i was just making a statement in regards to the definition of "re-done"

Ah okay, fair enough. I just thought you we're strictly saying that ED won't be adding anything to the base map aside from improving it, which wouldn't necessarily be the case given the proposed extension to the south and improvements to Batumi present in the screenshot.

Well, what do you expect us to say here? Other than ... "Welcome to DCS World!" ? :D

Oh believe me, I know what updates for things can get like. But in comparison to NTTR and Normandy, which IIRC had more frequent development updates detailing the status of the map, all we've got is an official status update that's a over a year out of date and some screenshots, that's it. IIRC NTTR and Normandy had more frequent status updates saying what has been done recently. If you look at the weekend news thread - you'll see that this is more or less the case.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Oh no...

Probably more trolling than kidding. The map re-build is going quite well. No need to assume its 2+ years out...

Neither I was kidding nor trolling. I said that my expectations for the DCS 2.5 are placed around late 2019 / early 2020. Let me stress most important bit of my post : My expectations. I don't assume or suggest, I expect which puts me in a rather comfortable position.

You don't need to agree with my expectations but I was not trolling at all.

I should maybe expand on my thoughts though as to what I mean by what I originally said.

I received NTTR back in late 2015, that map is still in Alpha release and also getting some fixes/tweaks / or as announced recently even a new type of train. So it is almost 2 years since it was released, is it finished yet? So getting DCS 2.5, let's say September 1st, 2017 does not mean it will be ready and done with, right? Surely there will be bug fixes and performance tweaks or other ironing needed to get it 100% released. And I expect that to happen late 2019 / early 2020 considering amount of things that ED has in the pipeline.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Thats a completly different thing.

Expectations for a complete full featured DCS 2.5 will be around what you are talking about, "maybe". But the release of 2.5 an the new caucasus map will be not far way,

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

But the release of 2.5 an the new caucasus map will be not far way,

Esac I am not trying to be confrontational, but what is your definition of not far away and second what is your source of info on possible timing? Please share my friend! :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Key word "W¡ll".

Source of info:

Sith-Wags.

There are several post about Caucasus map development going well. Last one only a few minutes ago from Sith but if you want me to say something i expect the new map between tomorrow and Q1 2018.

Next key word "Expect"

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Neither I was kidding nor trolling. I said that my expectations for the DCS 2.5 are placed around late 2019 / early 2020. Let me stress most important bit of my post : My expectations. I don't assume or suggest, I expect which puts me in a rather comfortable position.

You don't need to agree with my expectations but I was not trolling at all.

I agree. I don't play the waiting game anymore that most people seem to like. It's an evil game. I don't even expect 2.5 to be released this year. I remember a few months ago Chizh mentioned in the russian side of the forum that Caucasus 2.5 will be released this year but knowing ED I don't believe it. More like by the end of 2018 at least stable and playable in VR.

If developers mention that the development is going well does not imply how far they are. Only way to inform progress without a target release date would be informing the progress in percentage.

E.g. Caucasus map progress is 75%, 1.x and 2.x merging progress is 56%.

This is what management usually wants to see if a release day is not realistic to hit.

The downside of this method is that people (management) need to learn that progress can degrade if things become more clear. E.g last week progress was 55%, but this week it is 45%, as the new AI code is much more complex than anticipated.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

I don't think they are moving so much to the South... but we can hope;)

On the map posted Marneuli is very interesting, and I think will be included.

In Turkey, the Kars airport is not of much interesting(civilian international airport), but at same laitude, more on the left, is present Merzifon, an active military airbase.

In Armenia, Shirak and Erebuni are interesting...

According to devs, no new infrastructure will be added. Just terrain.

According to devs, no new infrastructure will be added. Just terrain.

Source? I don't recall seeing anything about no new infrastructure... Then again I could well be mistaken...

It's a bit of a shame because Marnueli would be a cool airbase to operate out of plus it's in an area we've already got on the 1.5.x Caucuses map...

It would also be nice if Poti actually looked more like the real thing...

System:

• ED Team
If developers mention that the development is going well does not imply how far they are. Only way to inform progress without a target release date would be informing the progress in percentage.

E.g. Caucasus map progress is 75%, 1.x and 2.x merging progress is 56%.

This is what management usually wants to see if a release day is not realistic to hit.

The downside of this method is that people (management) need to learn that progress can degrade if things become more clear. E.g last week progress was 55%, but this week it is 45%, as the new AI code is much more complex than anticipated.

ED has decided a long time ago not to share too much on progress and release dates, many times they have tried to share this info, and if its missed, the community, or parts of it roasts ED. So we tend to get less info than is available.

It's close, but I know they have some issues to still work through, how long those take are up to the code gods.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

It's close, but I know they have some issues to still work through, how long those take are up to the code gods.

Close is good. I've been waiting for the new map to start recording a multi part Caucasus Tour. Even if the cities/towns aren't redone to reflect the true architectural flavor of the region, a more accurate topographical & geographical representation of the area, at the very least, will yield some benefits.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• ED Team
Close is good. I've been waiting for the new map to start recording a multi part Caucasus Tour. Even if the cities/towns aren't redone to reflect the true architectural flavor of the region, a more accurate topographical & geographical representation of the area, at the very least, will yield some benefits.

I believe it will be similar to how it was, and how NTTR is, that it will have buildings and structures to make it believe-able, but not necessarily accurate as far as actual buildings, business etc... I would love to see them add some landmarks if they havent done so already, but I would rather seem the map out for all then things that ultimately arent super important to most peoples enjoyment of blowing things up.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

...I would love to see them add some landmarks if they havent done so already, but I would rather seem the map out for all then things that ultimately arent super important to most peoples enjoyment of blowing things up.

Considering the number of World Heritage sites in the Georgian region and elsewhere, historical landmarks would make an interesting addition that could complicate mission planning. :) Blow this or that thing up but be sure to not damage this or that site. And the reason for the restrictions would be obvious rather than it looking like just another rectangular building. Of course, for the Airedales, none of that matters much, I suppose. For the mud movers, life would get more interesting.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the new map. The geographical landscape should provide some interesting flying, if you know what you're looking for. And, hopefully, more representative architecture will be added later.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

It's close

Interesting definition of "Close": Being on the brink of: close to tears.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I agree

Considering the number of World Heritage sites in the Georgian region and elsewhere, historical landmarks would make an interesting addition (...)

The geographical landscape should provide some interesting flying, if you know what you're looking for. And, hopefully, more representative architecture will be added later.

Yes! Hopes are up, however, I would imagine that SoH is prioritized higher on the list of things as it is going to be a payware.

• ED Team
Yes! Hopes are up, however, I would imagine that SoH is prioritized higher on the list of things as it is going to be a payware.

You would be wrong, that is not to say we couldnt see one before the other, remember the updates to the Black Sea map were started after SoH was well underway... but assuming ED is doing stuff because it's payware doesnt take into account that it will need to be released into Open Alpha, getting 2.5 out as the release version is the priority, and that means getting the Black Sea map good to go.

64Sig.png

Cool... so seems like a probable order could be Black Sea Map>2.5 Unfication>F18>SoH>P47....with Normandy optimizations and asset pack adds along the way.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10