Ka-50 failures

Hey guys,

As I am still not very proficient with the Black Shark, I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Is it possible to introduce - by using random failures - damage to the navigating system? Sorry for lack of my knowledge, but does Ka-50 use INS or GPS for navigating? And if so, what random failures to that can be introduced?

Many thanks!

BD

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

You can fall just about anything is all just s matter of using the mission editor. Poke around and find what you'd like.

The helicopter uses an ins assisted by GPS. Effectively, if everything is work is pure GPS, but because if terrain masking or other factors you may not have a signal, it will then switch to INS. I forget what the symbology is but it's explained in great detail in the manual.

The PVI 800 uses an internal INS that works like every other INS system, they aren't terribly complicated.

If you want a challenge, turn off your abris, and PVI and navigate via NBD and dead reconning. You'll have to fly a specific heading and airspeed or track an NBD all at the same time. It makes you really good in the helicopter. Then do it in the fog, in the rain, at night, from one airport to another. And land all with like 1000m of visibility.

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

The Shark uses GLONASS, not GPS :P
Oh, you know what I meant.

-Shadow

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

It actually uses both as you can see with the Garmin antenna mounted as well as the GPS status menu in the ABRIS. But that's not the point.

I haven't checked with the last patch but so far the ME's failure table is desperately empty whenever you want to add a failure. It looks like this feature has been temporarily removed.

It actually uses both as you can see with the Garmin antenna mounted as well as the GPS status menu in the ABRIS.

It does? Huh, good to know. I'd have sworn it was GLONASS only, but I'm not an expert on the Ka-50 and my answer would have been based on supposition rather than knowledge.

I haven't checked with the last patch but so far the ME's failure table is desperately empty whenever you want to add a failure. It looks like this feature has been temporarily removed.

Indeed; once again I'd have sworn there should be a huge list of items that can be failed for the player aircraft, but both 1.5.6 and 2.1 (both a few patches old here) only show me a pretty short list, and nothing to do with navigation (besides complete Abris failure).

Coming back to the nav system itself, the INU ("Inertial Navigation Unit", just another name for INS I guess) is modeled, but AFAIK it never decreases in accuracy, even when GLONASS isn't available. Which is too bad, because our KA-50 can actually update the INU using INU Fix Points, either by flying over them or by pointing at them with the Shkval. I loved to do that in some of the old campaigns for immersion, but since INU is always perfect, there's never been an actual necessity to do it. :(

INU drift would be *such* a cool feature for the Ka-50, I'd say it's almost as important as the working fans in the Mi-8 pit (and comes right after the working OAT gauge that we got with BS2). Here's to hoping it'll be implemented. :thumbup:

Coming back to the nav system itself, the INU ("Inertial Navigation Unit", just another name for INS I guess) is modeled, but AFAIK it never decreases in accuracy, even when GLONASS isn't available. Which is too bad, because our KA-50 can actually update the INU using INU Fix Points, either by flying over them or by pointing at them with the Shkval. I loved to do that in some of the old campaigns for immersion, but since INU is always perfect, there's never been an actual necessity to do it. :(

INU drift would be *such* a cool feature for the Ka-50, I'd say it's almost as important as the working fans in the Mi-8 pit (and comes right after the working OAT gauge that we got with BS2). Here's to hoping it'll be implemented. :thumbup:

You are right. INU drift was noticeable in BS1 (maybe a bit too noticeable) and required FIX INU points to be set up in missions. This was pretty cool although a bit of a hassle to perform. Then, in BS2 (or maybe in latest patches of BS1), this drift disappeared and left those FIX INU points completely useless. I don't know why ED did this.

You are right. INU drift was noticeable in BS1 (maybe a bit too noticeable) and required FIX INU points to be set up in missions. This was pretty cool although a bit of a hassle to perform. Then, in BS2 (or maybe in latest patches of BS1), this drift disappeared and left those FIX INU points completely useless. I don't know why ED did this.
Hmmm. That's too bad. I'm learning the shark and was looking forward to learning INU fix points.

Nothing is stopping you from still using it. It takes a small amount of imagination to pretend you need it. To me it seems about the same as the lights and tones test. I always do that and I know the lights are never broken.

-Shadow

• Like 1

Nothing is stopping you from still using it. It takes a small amount of imagination to pretend you need it. To me it seems about the same as the lights and tones test. I always do that and I know the lights are never broken.

-Shadow

Lol! Yes, you are right. I check my warning lights too from time to time although I know they will never fail. Just for having the satisfaction to do a bit more realistic pre flight check.

You are right to remind us that lacks of the simulator can be filled with your imagination. As PC and software are getting more and more powerful, we are forgetting this!

Oh, you know what I meant.

-Shadow

Actually no.... People don't know what you mean if you don't know what you say ;)

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It does? Huh, good to know. I'd have sworn it was GLONASS only, but I'm not an expert on the Ka-50 and my answer would have been based on supposition rather than knowledge.

The GG12 GNSS receiver used in the ABRIS is available in a GPS+Glonass and a GPS only version. So GPS is always an option.

• Like 1

-Shadow

Good attitude ! :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X