Do static objects explode

Hi guys, a bit of a request for assistance from those with greater knowledge than me. I'm trying to get to grips with the mission editor, and I'm just trying to create something like a simple training mission, with an airfield with enemy planes parked up that I can use for target practice.

I've got this set up OK, but whatever I put on the field and shoot it up, nothing seems to catch fire or explode, including fuel tanks.

So, in simple terms, I just want to blow some stuff up with my Spitfire, and my question is, out of the WW2 assets, which things have you chaps found that will explode the best? Does it have to be AI controlled, or will static assets catch fire too?

I'm steadily adding lots of friendly ships and vehicles just to build the atmosphere, and that is working quite well, but I just feel the need for a bit of pyrotechnic spectacle. Thanks in advance for any advice.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Thanks for the help, I'll stick in a few of those and see what happens. It's probably as much to do with my lack of shooting accuracy as anything. Need to practise more.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Thanks for the help, I'll stick in a few of those and see what happens. It's probably as much to do with my lack of shooting accuracy as anything. Need to practise more.

You'll need proper ordnance (not guns - I assume by "shooting" you are referring to guns) to have an effect on most objects.

In 2.0 (at least for the normandy map) even the static houses on the map will react to bombs and rockets.

If you are only firing MGs or Canon you will be restricted to pretty soft targets like trucks and AA guns.

The tanks will not react to guns, neither will ships or most other statics.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

That's right, I was basing my question on using the machine guns and the cannons on the Spitfire to shoot German (static) planes on the ground. I would expect a plane to perhaps catch fire even with the spit's guns, but nothing seemed to happen.

If you use an actual aircraft on the ground, unless you can program it to do nothing, in other words, just sit there and be a target, then it will try to take off and fight back.

If you give an actual aircraft starting on the ground delayed activation, it will not appear on the ground until its delay has expired.

Static aircraft ought to react to hits fairly similar to real aircraft. I don't think they ought to be exactly the same as real aircraft, because that would mean having all the overhead of the new DM system, and with a large number of static AC on the ground, that could cause a huge hit on performance. Besides, there's no necessity for the huge amount of fidelity the new DM will offer on an aircraft that is going to do nothing other than be a target.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

So I've been spending a bit more time on this one. It is certainly the case that if you have live aircraft on the runway, they will catch fire after a few good shots of the Spitfire's machine guns. As the Captain says above, they are trying to take off, so you don't have long before any that you don't get on the ground are airborne, then they fight back as they are quite upset. At this point I started to learn more about the AI damage model; they do seem to be able to soak up quite a bit of punishment music_whistling.gif

To be honest, in most of my time in DCS so far I have enjoyed using it as a straight flight sim, I haven't ventured into the shooting stuff phases, but as I get the hang of flying the Spitfire, and start to get to grips with the mission editor, I am beginning to delve a little deeper.

The static planes though, do not seem to catch fire or take any discernible damage, they just seem to be inert props rather than planes full of fuel.

So I have set up a little practice mission on the Normandy coast, taking off and raiding an enemy airfield down the way, and I'm enjoying it. I have 8 live BF109s which I have two or three passes on before they get airborne, so the more I get on the ground, the better chance I have in the air. However those AIs are tough cookies, and seem to take a lot of damage without any loss in performance once they are airborne. They always seem to get me in the end, but it's fun while it lasts.

Planes on the ground need either bombs/rockets or a lot of ammo to explode.

The AI is also using a different flight model than the user and damage does not affect them the same way like it does with player controlled aircrafts. Ed is trying to improve the damage model at the moment.

@Captain Orso you're right about those two things, but I just want to pop in one quick note:

Place a plane on the ground with "takeoff from ramp" selected for the waypoint type, and then check the "uncontrolled" box. This will populate a non-static plane on the ground, which you can load with fuel/ordnance as desired.

You then use a trigger AI TASK PUSH (start) to make them takeoff if desired, but if you take no further action they'll just sit there.

Edited by feefifofum
  • Like 1

feefifofum, nice tip! Thanks.

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

@Captain Orso you're right about those two things, but I just want to pop in one quick note:

Place a plane on the ground with "takeoff from ramp" selected for the waypoint type, and then check the "uncontrolled" box. This will populate a non-static plane on the ground, which you can load with fuel/ordnance as desired.

You then use a trigger AI TASK PUSH (start) to make them takeoff if desired, but if you take no further action they'll just sit there.

Aha, that is an excellent tip. Thanks for the advice, I shall report back.

Edit: that seems to work well. The live planes on the ground take damage and catch fire, so at least you have an indication that they have been hit. I'll keep the static planes in there just for a bit of atmosphere and window dressing, but they are no fun to shoot at. All I need to do now is practice shooting straight.

It's interesting looking at the AI behaviour, scrolling through the F2 views, those planes that are still programmed to take off are happy to do so with about forty bullet holes in the engine cowling. This new incoming damage model will hopefully improve the realism here, looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the advice guys, any more tips are very welcome.

Edited by John Hargreaves

Thanks FFFF, that's a great tip. :thumbup:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1