[CAN NOT REPRODUCE]The fog does not limit the visibility of airport lights

discwalker

In the sample tracks horizontal visibility is 2500m.

An Su-25T landing to mozdok rwy08 (inverted approach lights: 6 green, 2 red)

Airport lights clearly visible from 10km+ distance.

and the fog is blue in dense cloud conditions, even in 8 can blueish sometimes:

VR Issues » Blue fog

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=209854&highlight=blue+fog

Release Version Bugs and Problems (Read only) » Blue fog

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215381&highlight=blue+fog

Thread: Yellow Fog View Single Post

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3424159&postcount=23

2,5,3,21016_mozdok_rwy08_lighting_error_Vis2500m_cloud10.trk

2,5,3,21016_mozdok_rwy08_lighting_error_Vis2500m_cloud8.trk

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• 1 year later...

Visibility in fog

Nothing new on this matter.

Setting fog to 20 meters, you can see the runway lights all the way to the end of the runway. This is incorrect.

Lowering visibility (using the fog selection in the weather menu) means you should not be able to see anything beyond that value: no runway lights, no mountains, no buildings, no outlines.

DCS 1.5.8 still more realistic than 2.5 wrt visibility. Don't know why they changed it, and why they don't fix such a fundamental feature.

• ED Team

Testing internally on the above tracks shows it is working correctly.

It maybe something has not been merged, I will check.

If you have other examples please attach them, make them as short as possible.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Testing internally on the above tracks shows it is working correctly.

It maybe something has not been merged, I will check.

If you have other examples please attach them, make them as short as possible.

thank you

Here are 4 tracks, 2 day and 2 night; 2 clear and 2 with 50 meters visibility.

day_nofog.trk:

aircraft at take-off position

day, unlimited visibility

runway lights visible to the end of runway

normal condition

day_50mfog.trk

day, 50 meters visibility, fog thickness to maximum

Runway lights should not be visible past 50 meters.

night_nofog.trk

night, unlimited visibility

Runway lights visible to the end of runway

normal condition

night_50mfog.trk

night, 50 meters visibility, fog thickness to maximum

Runway lights should not be visible past 50 meters.

(DCS Version 1.5 works correctly.)

day_50mfog.trk

day_nofog.trk

night_50mfog.trk

night_nofog.trk

• ED Team

Hi all

thank you for the tests.

this is fixed in our internal version and will be in a future update.

thank you

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...
Hi all

thank you for the tests.

this is fixed in our internal version and will be in a future update.

thank you

Hello, any news on when it will be available? We miss IFR flying in real fog conditions.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, any news on when it will be available? We miss IFR flying in real fog conditions.

I too would like to know... So far I've been flying IFR ignoring ATC so they keep the runways dark :( ... Also this means no IFR night flying as well.

I found a way to get a ceiling below 300m.

Start off at one of the coastal airports at sea level (Batumi, Sochi etc), and plan a flight to an airport with higher elevation. IIRC, Tbilisi elevation is 1500 feet ASL. So you want a 200 foot ceiling there, set the clouds at your departure point at 1700 feet, converted =520 meters. You will have a ceiling of 520 meters at the point of departure, and when you get to minimums at destination Tbilisi, you'll pop out of cloud at 200 feet AGL.

The C101CC seems to be the only aircraft with an ILS, ADF and radar altimeter together. Anybody use any other A/c with ILS? Would be nice with an aircraft with a bit more pep.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest OB, fog is present now, but at night on rwy, the airport surroundings trees, buildings etc. look strange.

Edited: after more testing.

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• ED Team
Latest OB, fog is present now, but at night on rwy, the airport surroundings trees, buildings etc. look strange.

Edited: after more testing.

Good to know the fog is ok, can you add a track and screenshot of what you are seeing now

thanks

Good to know the fog is ok, can you add a track and screenshot of what you are seeing now

thanks

Tracks with fog OK & not OK + test missions added in rar.

After more testing it's not only buildings but the whole sky that is strange.

Sometimes fog is OK & sometimes not. I dunno what's exactly the pattern for it besides that I adjust weather in ME, maybe when I select presets-weather & change it? Been testing for 2h so I'm beat & confused what I did & when, but at least tracks are reliable.

The below pics are all taken at Kobuleti at 01:00 (night) on same mission. The 1:st pics everything looks fine, but after i changed weather in ME the sky gets very bright/blue.

Fog not OK and Ok.rar

Screen_200609_013115.thumb.png.0a59eb4b97a5e15df38accb0fa26b3c5.png

Screen_200609_013136.thumb.png.fcbb2b159dff3b7d929da00abcd4818a.png

Screen_200609_013311.thumb.png.1de791669007442c47b043e082a6becd.png

Screen_200609_012826.thumb.png.ee711972db0faf2b3db7f1dbc4807e8f.png

Screen_200609_013324.thumb.png.2df7558978d0c119259a8d886f8013d7.png

Screen_200609_000538.thumb.png.94c2600102f435b7c61f00bafde3e8ff.png

Edited by CoBlue

thanks

It is not fixed.

Loaded the most recent version 2.5.6

At night, with 50 meters visibility, while on the runway, you can see the runway lights all the way to the far end, and taxiway lights beyond 50 meters.

I suspect that the coder does not understand the concept of visibility. It is not some kind of texture function that is tweaked on video graphics, but a limit on how far you can see. Foggy in a video game is not fog in a flight simulator.

If the visibility is 50 meters, then you should not see anything beyond 50 meters, even the lights.... just blackness at night or gray in daytime beyond that setting. So any object beyond the set visibility limit should be inhibited and not be rendered.

Here is an example of 200 meters visibility. You do not see anything beyond 200 meters, and certainly not the runway lights at the far end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway_visual_range#/media/File:Lisbon's_Runway_21.jpg

• ED Team
Tracks with fog OK & not OK + test missions added in rar.

After more testing it's not only buildings but the whole sky that is strange.

Sometimes fog is OK & sometimes not. I dunno what's exactly the pattern for it besides that I adjust weather in ME, maybe when I select presets-weather & change it? Been testing for 2h so I'm beat & confused what I did & when, but at least tracks are reliable.

The below pics are all taken at Kobuleti at 01:00 (night) on same mission. The 1:st pics everything looks fine, but after i changed weather in ME the sky gets very bright/blue.

Bright sky at night in certain conditions has been reported, thanks

• ED Team
It is not fixed.

Loaded the most recent version 2.5.6

At night, with 50 meters visibility, while on the runway, you can see the runway lights all the way to the far end, and taxiway lights beyond 50 meters.

I suspect that the coder does not understand the concept of visibility. It is not some kind of texture function that is tweaked on video graphics, but a limit on how far you can see. Foggy in a video game is not fog in a flight simulator.

If the visibility is 50 meters, then you should not see anything beyond 50 meters, even the lights.... just blackness at night or gray in daytime beyond that setting. So any object beyond the set visibility limit should be inhibited and not be rendered.

Here is an example of 200 meters visibility. You do not see anything beyond 200 meters, and certainly not the runway lights at the far end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway_visual_range#/media/File:Lisbon's_Runway_21.jpg

If you have a track replay showing this please attach it, I will take a look.

Marked the thread investigating again for now.

If you have a track replay showing this please attach it, I will take a look.

Marked the thread investigating again for now.

Had a second look:

30 meters visibility set, night.

Non-light objects are rendered correctly: cannot see them beyond the set visibility.

However, looks like they forgot the lights, not just runway and taxi lights, but all the lights, including street lamp posts. They can be seen miles away with 30 meters visibility set.

In the attached track, you cannot see the runway markings beyond 30m, which is correct, but the runway and all other lights can be seen all around. Lights should not be seen beyond 30 meters.

night30mfog.trk

• ED Team
Had a second look:

30 meters visibility set, night.

Non-light objects are rendered correctly: cannot see them beyond the set visibility.

However, looks like they forgot the lights, not just runway and taxi lights, but all the lights, including street lamp posts. They can be seen miles away with 30 meters visibility set.

In the attached track, you cannot see the runway markings beyond 30m, which is correct, but the runway and all other lights can be seen all around. Lights should not be seen beyond 30 meters.

Ive just tested and it is looking fine for me, are you using any shader mods? or reshade?

Screen_200610_141404.thumb.jpg.0c522ea28753ebf71f5dbf52a11c1420.jpg

Ive just tested and it is looking fine for me, are you using any shader mods? or reshade?

I am not using any mods that I know of. Version 2.5.6 appears otherwise stable, including rendered graphics (do not see odd colours or textures).

Please confirm that you did not see the lights in my track.

Is there a setting that I am unaware of that would make the lights disappear beyond the set visibility limits?

• ED Team
I am not using any mods that I know of. Version 2.5.6 appears otherwise stable, including rendered graphics (do not see odd colours or textures).

Please confirm that you did not see the lights in my track.

Is there a setting that I am unaware of that would make the lights disappear beyond the set visibility limits?

Correct I dont see the lights in your track.

Try a cleanup and repair and delete your metashader and fxo folder in dcs saved games location.

restart dcs, first load will take longer while it generates shaders

let me know if it helps

Try a cleanup and repair and delete your metashader and fxo folder in dcs saved games location.

let me know if it helps

Had loaded new graphics drivers.

Still see the lights. Got the clear blue fog, like diskwalker

Deleted metashader and fco. No difference.

Reloaded older graphics drivers, no difference, see lights except clear blue fog occasionally.

Maybe a graphics card incompatibility.

I have the AMD Radeon RX570

Radeon Settings Version - 2019.1023.1545.28374

Driver Packaging Version - 19.30.31.05-191023a1-347941E-RadeonSoftwareAdrenalin2019

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01410

OpenGL® Version - 26.20.11000.13572

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.12

Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.106

Vulkan™ API Version - 1.1.119

Radeon Software Version - 19.10.2

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin 2019

Graphics Chipset - Radeon RX 570 Series

Memory Size - 8192 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1268 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor

Using Oculus Rift S.

HI,

Is this issue still being looked at, or is the matter closed?

Can it be confirmed that the issue is related to the video card and/or drivers?

Considering getting another video card, but don't want to waste my money if it is not the problem.

BTW, reloaded the latest drivers for the AMD RX570, and consistently get the issues reported by diskwalker: at night, selecting Fog at any visibility makes all lights visible, makes the horizon visible and the sky turns light blue; non-light objects do not appear visible beyond the set visibility number. In daytime, sky is normal, fog is apparent, except runway lights visible beyond the visibility limit.

Thanks!

Edited by Goggles

And with overcast blue fog came back.

Just discovered that the night blue sky [non] fog happens when the cloud density is set to 9 or 10 (horizon seen, light blue sky)

(fog option is checked, 40 meters visibility, thickness 1000, cloud height 300 meters, thickness 1000m)

If cloud density is set to 8 or below, fog conditions are rendered correctly, except the lights remain visible beyond the set visibility.

Edited by Goggles

let me know if it helps

Did all that again, plus installed a new NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 1660 card with the latest drivers.

No change except better frame rate.

Lights still visible in fog, and strange blue sky and horizon visible when cloud density set greater than 8 (with fog).

Makes no difference whether VR or not.

Guess I won't be buying any new modules for a while. Sunk 300 bucks on a video card that didn't make any difference.