Kerman and Shiraz - setting expectations

Gierasimov

Just trying to understand what to expect from one of the recent updates regarding Kerman and Shiraz airfields. Both are located within the boundaries of respectively Kerman and Shiraz cities, so my question is - will this addition feature those cities or will airfields be located on the flat low - res textures only?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Just trying to understand what to expect from one of the recent updates regarding Kerman and Shiraz airfields. Both are located within the boundaries of respectively Kerman and Shiraz cities, so my question is - will this addition feature those cities or will airfields be located on the flat low - res textures only?

+1

very good question, only time will tell us, - 24 hours to go :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I think more than 24 hours as I believe it was said those fields would be added after the initial release. Of course I could be wrong.

My mistake, in fact you're right , these 2 news airfileds will be added after early access release.....;)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Where have they said that they will add Shiraz and Kerman? These 2 bases seem pretty far away and it would dramatically increase the map size and make it way more interesting on the Iranian side. It would also automatically include Qatar, I hope they model Udaid air base as well there.

Newsletter

Where have they said that they will add Shiraz and Kerman? These 2 bases seem pretty far away and it would dramatically increase the map size and make it way more interesting on the Iranian side. It would also automatically include Qatar, I hope they model Udaid air base as well there.

Weekend News - 11/05/2018

"(..) In addition to fixing a few remaining bugs and further tuning the map, our map team is already at work expanding the low-detail around the map and adding two new Iranian airfields. These two airfields, Kerman and Shiraz, or inland from the Persian Gulf and will add some great gameplay options for both new campaigns and online play. These will significantly expand the range between bases in the UAE/Oman and Iran. (...)"

Also, it would not automatically include Qatar as Shiraz is located in the XN grid. For reference to the map area, you can check this one: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206348&page=2

Edited by Gierasimov
quote added

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Weekend News - 11/05/2018

"(..) In addition to fixing a few remaining bugs and further tuning the map, our map team is already at work expanding the low-detail around the map and adding two new Iranian airfields. These two airfields, Kerman and Shiraz, or inland from the Persian Gulf and will add some great gameplay options for both new campaigns and online play. These will significantly expand the range between bases in the UAE/Oman and Iran. (...)"

wow, that's deep inside Iran, in fact, my hometown in 4 hours of driving away from Shiraz.

I'm pretty sure some eras of Iran-Iraq war, tomcats used Shiraz "shahid Doran AFB" as their base for their regular CAPs over the Persian Gulf, although as long as I know nowadays it's only home of su24, c130 and Il-76 squadrons ( and I think sometimes fitters and FrogFoots of IRGS, not sure about this one). there are some photos of Doran AFB 2017 airshow in this forum

http://www.aerospacetalk.ir/vb/showthread.php?t=59981

But Kerman is more of a reserve AFB, and I never heard of AF using it lately.

I was prompted to check grids by TomCatMucDe (thank you) and just discovered that the grid for Kerman is DU for air base and EU for the city. These grids are not in the current DCS: Persian Gulf map as seen here:

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/dcs-f-a-18c/2892/1674

Interesting indeed.

Nice info

I'm pretty sure some eras of Iran-Iraq war, tomcats used Shiraz "shahid Doran AFB" as their base for their regular CAPs over the Persian Gulf, although as long as I know nowadays it's only home of su24, c130 and Il-76 squadrons ( and I think sometimes fitters and FrogFoots of IRGS, not sure about this one). there are some photos of Doran AFB 2017 airshow in this forum

http://www.aerospacetalk.ir/vb/showthread.php?t=59981

But Kerman is more of a reserve AFB, and I never heard of AF using it lately.

Thanks for the insight. Interesting. I hope one day we will get these skis one day in DCS too.

I think I know what MY expectations are now..

So, upon looking at Early Access of Persian Gulf map - (which is, by the way, the most beautiful of all terrains in DCS and is well done too!) - I am expecting new air bases without cities or accurate terrain/texture. A good example of DCS vs. real difference is Lar air base in Iran.

I am expecting new air bases without cities or accurate terrain/texture. A good example of DCS vs. real difference is Lar air base in Iran.

?

Lar airbase on the DCS map is pretty much the same as the one I see if I look a the satellite view on google maps, and the new/old parts of the towns / settlements around it (lar, Berak, Latifi, Khour are also pretty much in the same places as they are in the real world ...

Cheers.

..well..point of view...

?

Lar airbase on the DCS map is pretty much the same as the one I see if I look a the satellite view on google maps, and the new/old parts of the towns / settlements around it (lar, Berak, Latifi, Khour are also pretty much in the same places as they are in the real world ...

Yes sure, it is pretty believable I give you that, but saying it is pretty much the same is a bit of overstatement I'd say. Settlements are there but if you compare said satellite view to DCS you can see that the area between Latifi and airbase itself looks deserted (in DCS) compared to photographs where you see at least some agriculture that would definitely add bit more nicer realism to the DCS. Perhaps at some point, this will improve, who knows. I'm lovin' it anyway.

Yes, but I didn't say they were accurate, only "about where they should be", which was in response to:

I am expecting new air bases without cities ... A good example ... is Lar air base in Iran. "

And, as you said, the cities are there, if not as sprawling as in real life.

Anyway, "pretty believable " is probably about as near as it needs to be to work & we're both there...

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
This may be old info by now, but it looks like they recreated the entire city of Shiraz.

Would be nice to see some important points of interest in the city like Darvaze Ghoran the tombs of Hafez and Saadi. And in the vicinity historical places like Persepolis, Naghshe Rostam and Pasargadae.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System: Windows 10 Pro | i9 9900K | 32GB RAM (3200 MHz) | RTX-2080s | SSD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

Would be nice to see some important points of interest in the city like Darvaze Ghoran the tombs of Hafez and Saadi. And in the vicinity historical places like Persepolis, Naghshe Rostam and Pasargadae.

x10000000

I really hope they're going to add also the surrounding city with high-res for Shiraz and Kerman,

adding only the airfield with the rest of it on low-desert resolution would be a big mistake and failure from ED.

Honestly 99% of this map is desert and water even tough I love the high details, so I really hope that non only the airfields will be added but the cities around as well.

Cheers ;)

• ED Team

Here is a look at the expanded area into Iran. Not only does this include the new airbases, but it also includes expanded road and rail network, increased mesh and texture resolution in the expanded area, many new towns and cities, and other elements.

This update is currently in external testing.

We are now moving on to add some additional airfields and landmarks in the UAE.

Thanks,

Matt

Screen_180712_075228.thumb.png.04c9de445dc53b49b0dd9014e24acf7a.png

Thanks Wags. This will add so much to this theatre! You guys are kicking some serious ass these days.

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Here is a look at the expanded area into Iran. Not only does this include the new airbases, but it also includes expanded road and rail network, increased mesh and texture resolution in the expanded area, many new towns and cities, and other elements.

This update is currently in external testing.

We are now moving on to add some additional airfields and landmarks in the UAE.

Thanks,

Matt

whoa that's a lot

i didn't realize you guys were going to expand it that far north.

you don't think we could get say, diego garcia down there?

or maybe a few hundred miles of ocean would suffice..

also are we going to get the more southeasterly airbases on the coast?

i'm going to put together a campaign or six and so the more i have to work with the better. in addition, we still need tactical ballistic missiles and TEL-launched anti-ship missiles if you guys have some spare time sometime :music_whistling:

I'm more surprised ED didn't expand the map towards Katar yet tbh.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence