1.2.12 -- radar modeling - fighters vs helos

SDsc0rch

Yes, but I'dont know what you want to say with it (sry, english is not my native language). As I would imagine the Fan Song activation for Missile tracking should initiate a RWR warning for missile launch!?

PS: I have most of my knowledge by documentary books, if you have better hands on material I will believe it.

Edit: Ok I think I know what you mean with it but that strategy was used after some days into the war. During the first raids the missiles were shot in guided mode. A good review could be "Viper pilot" where these change in tactics is described really good. I don't know if there were modifications on iraqi SA-2 but i think it speaks for itself if a whole flight can't pick up a single launch were dozens of missilles flying around. Some days later after some reprogramming you can read of exactly working RWR's during further raids.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS you probably can't recreate a realistic historical moment in time because all the hardware is frozen in shapes that match the data ED has to work with and that data is either

• locked to a specific hardware specification unique in time and place and manufacture and deployment.
  • or it is a generalized mash-up of multiple hardwares, times, places, manufactures and deployments.

You might think one of those is a better option than the other, but both approaches will still not be realistic when you produce a mission because the times and dates of the snap frozen elements don't match up. The only way to have something realistic is to choose a SINGLE flight sortie that is well documented and create modelling for all the hardware involved in that mission and then fly only that mission. Yay Realism.

ED seems to use the snap frozen approach interchangeably with the generalized approach and their decisions on edge cases seem to err on the side of sanity and more than some people realize, they do err on the side of playability.

Playability is a form of sanity that I enjoy in the game, and arguments for 100% realism is form of insanity I seem to enjoy - in the forum.

I think you missed one important point here, because if it was just like you write here, you would basicly spot a Rotor on radar at any speed, because it's at the same rpm basicly.

It's the gearbox that change the angle of attack on blades that rotate backwards to keep balanced lift on both sides.

At slower speed, the angle of attack is much lower, and the radar beam would just bounce away in a different direction.

Only when the speed is high enough, the area of leading or trailing edge on blades, will increase enough to reflect back to a radar. And probably not in just any direction either. (doppler radar mode)

And ,you can actually buy better results. The big advantage western RWR and radars have, is not the slightly better power. It's much more important the ability to detect weaker signals and filter away noise, and this is the most costly part i guess.

The rotor blades are aerodynamically more challenging to design and build than airplane wings. They as well have dramatically more limited design differences to be made as even slightest change requires to redesign basically whole helicopter again as everything needs to be checked and changed somewhat. Like if blades material is changed, whole rotor needs to be redesigned. If blade length is changed, everything redesigned again. Change a blade tip angle or shape, redesign whole rotor. There are only a few rotor hub designs and more complex the hub, simpler the design, more simpler the hub, more complex the design.

Basically said, with helicopters even a small change on rotor can take a decade to get it in production.

The angle of attack of blade (what is changed by the swashplate, not by gearbox) is assymetric because depending your speed, the retreating blade has a slower air speed than advancing blade, so the angle of attack is changed so it is bigger on retreating side.

There is always echoes coming from helicopter rotor regardless of the helicopter airspeed itself, as long the rotor blades are rotating the radar can very easily pickup it, regardless of the helicopter airspeed.

And you can't buy innovations or better results when it comes to humans as you hit to The Candle Problem. You can buy materials to speed up testing, but not possible to solve problems faster by paying more to engineers or hiring more of them. To usually it goes other way around, it slows down the innovation and capability invent new things.

In western countries it was decades tried to claim that with money you get inventions and people work better, higher efficiency. While it just backfires when time passes because competition.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

No, everything should be modeled realistically as possible. There are no reasons not to apart from personal opinions. This is the entire point of a sim.

This was ment ironically, as both SAMs and MANPADS are currently just not realistic.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

But this is also game no matter how "realistic" it trys to be...:smartass:

What would you mean by that? Because the more realistic the simulation, the way off the "game" call would become. Cause in the end that's what DCS is all about for many of us here, to reflect the reality as close as possible, and if it's more than 90-95% accurate according to RL, then the word "game" has nothing to do with something like that, even though you don't actually feel the G forces on any axis, if this might be the reason why you called it game. Yes..., many of us fear that we will be forced in some amount to select a specific type of aircraft if we don't want to loose in combat because of the possible "unbalancing" of the challenge (because there are people who play the sim or game, just to have better score and hate loosing) if one aircraft has a more advanced combat capability simulated than another. Well..., I tell you something: You could be better to defeat the more advanced tech if you know how! If you were in a real life war and your enemy has much more advanced and capable weapons against you, what would you say? So, you could think from this point of view until both sides (US and RUS fighters) have the latest tech being simulated.

There's a great difference between a game and a simulator, and this is suppose to be a simulator, not a role playing game.:thumbup:

Edited by Maverick Su-35S

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your correct flight model simulation advisor!