i can see an aircraft starting at 37nm

b7ufzw01KUhEMk50HJV4Jcfvi0jqE3XX50_O6mkU7Y9aRIxOhmrIJaOVn37Usiw8oZ4pAyyXEbcbgBsJmdoaQvO6wBRwxobPqp5kTEBzMomNgqX7FoTEJvdzZSr8y4uSNuMfjriaXJ5xqadPha_tLnOV6XiEoXqW3zKmCg7RG4UNh49edKQecZB8uraYRNXTVOI581Jecc0KrnnGSg2H7ikIq1A5JAqci6777GY2jhOJi9FKQhaIdHhf1z76FdsI4bCfrCiDEEeLZHMtuWN3HVcYIHx0YPR1AHUe_nw_dBOzOcEdrrY-kvXYXgRK0g5yTrrrbz06yX3nLcwz5zRql-C6n_4TII0-j5j7aKawarWkzbHDZSxpox48hSheQvOLdviU7QBrP4AMkYTbboZcnd--vWKmf89Ya9bxjM9SlTBwzgrOd2xYeLsHYCDgUSvVTw2t8fDNlGeRVd624TOvpZH3piRDobBZXKs0qVjz0WzGeON69_VKgE4ZlML20hludTcSX_Z_uLzBaaSn1IfgK1qT5vGMrud1lA4rQY1c7SHfQXVUc_kfBjleERtOLh87Da77Wa0Xg8hyM5-ggGYH1MXObdfdOm83VLhbY9wqDfbizWkPBB1QL9zRtQ=w1020-h558-no

that is rather... optimistic

here is the youtube where that screenshot comes from

when i shoot a missile i can follow it visually all the way to impact - that is also "optimistic"

ref: quora post written by an F-15 pilot

...The AIM-9X is simply an awesome frigging missile. But you aren’t going to defeat it by relying on your eyes to see that it was launched and then reacting with flares. And even if you see it in the moment it is launched because you were looking right at the bandit, you WILL NOT see it the rest of its short flight. Your best defense against an AIM-9X is to eject before it gets there and hope it doesn’t switch to your ejection seat rocket motor signature.

I shot a non-warhead AIM-9M missile at about 11,000 feet almost head on at a QF-100 (F-100 converted to a drone) at Tyndall AFB about 1986. They put the drone into a left, 6 G break turn with flares and the missile hit the right wing root and knocked that wing off with just its kinetic energy at which time it went into a spin . . . and then they blew it up, which looked pretty cool.

My wingman and the test supervisor IP . . . both about 500 feet from me on either side . . . saw the missile launch and saw the wing fall off. But even though they knew I was going to fire it and saw it launch, neither one was able to see the missile at all during the time of flight.

The AMRAAM and and AIM-9X have both been fully tested with a s—-load of actual live missile firings. They have both done very, very well. The AMRAAM’s much bigger warhead makes it a much more effective killing machine, however.

Usually, an IR missile’s warhead might be good for taking out an engine and do some stab and/or a little wing damage. Against 2-engine fighters, it is often not enough to cause a kill right there . . . though a significant percentage of the time it is. Of course, losing an engine and not egressing right away is likely to result in an eventual kill.

i would like to request ED change the visibility of objects to more closely match subject matter experts' values for acceptable visual distances

DCS wasn't always like this - i don't recall seeing objects (aircraft, but also missiles, parachutes, drop tanks, etc) from such extreme distances

thank you for your attention

have a great day : )

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i dont think in rl you can do the zoom you have done there... maybe that?

The size of the HUD on this screenshot when displayed on a typical monitor corresponds roughly to the size of the HUD in real life. It's roughly what you would see when using VR, without zoom function.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

i dont think in rl you can do the zoom you have done there... maybe that?

actually.. the "dotwars" effect is strongest at the normal zoom level - you actually LOSE visibility as i "lean in" to zoom in - it is actually MORE DIFFICULT to see the "dot" as you zoom in ---- just sitting still and looking around, the "dots" are much more visible

but again.. i'm just politely requesting ED to solicit the input from SMEs (pilots) who can give accurate feedback

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shhhhhhh. This is how I win in the cold war server.... I became a seasoned dotwarz dot-spotter back in the WT beta, when the FRB mode was slightly decent. It's the one skill I carried over from that game.

Don't take this away from me!

Can also confirm, the further zoomed out you are, the easier they are to see.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Edited by Kraut