Insert Carrier Template - how?

Not sure what you mean by a carrier template.

Generally, you make your own templates.

What do you want the carrier to do?

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

At least last time I tried with a carrier and positioned statics, the positioned statics all fell off when I saved it as the new Template feature in DCS.

Better to do it the other way around. Save the Carrier and all the fluff as a Miz, then insert other bit via templates over the top. --Assuming the templates still behave the same, that is.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

There doesn't seem to be any way to do that. The carrier templates available from user downloads seem to be base missions for you to build on top of.

Have you tried adding statics to your carrier yourself? The process is very simple, now that the Top Down view of models is available. Click on the tank icon at the bottom of the ME screen to see the Top Down view, then zoom in on your carrier until you see the flight deck. I usually zoom in as far as I can go and still be able to see the whole deck.

Click on the Add Statics button (the bridge icon on the left panel).

Select USA and planes or helicopters.

Select your desired aircraft.

Click on the flight deck where you want the aircraft placed.

Check the box marked OFFSET FIXATION and select the carrier unit name from the LINK UNIT drop-down menu.

Change the static model's heading to face the static aircraft appropriately relative to the flight deck.

Some tips: You're probably going to want to land on the carrier at the end of your mission, so put all your statics between the red-and-white dashed lines on either side of the landing area and the edge of the deck. Forward of the island, you'll want to avoid putting statics on the Number 2 (port side, forward) catapult, since that's the easiest one to get to from the player spawn point.

One of the changes that came this week is that AI aircraft will no longer try to launch from the same catapult the player is on. I don't know if this means that the AI won't push its nose through the jet blast deflector like it used to or if the AI will go find another catapult. If it goes to find another catapult, it might do so without considering the statics placed on the deck, so you might want to keep your statics placed forward of the island as far aft as possible, but again, close to the deck edge.

There are LOADS of pictures on the web to give you examples of how they park aircraft on the flight deck, so use those for ideas.

Good luck!

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann

I've tried to use static templates, but the problem is that it saves everything, including the carrier, in the template, and then won't let you load it because two units are superimposed.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

Smoke,

Are you selecting the JOHN C STENNIS from the LINK UNIT dropdown?

When I place a ship, I set its unit name to the ship's actual name: USS JOHN C STENNIS. That makes it more recognizable in other parts of the ME.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

Template

Can’t select that - not on the list. Just “Unit 001”

VR/Dave

Smoke,

Are you selecting the JOHN C STENNIS from the LINK UNIT dropdown?

When I place a ship, I set its unit name to the ship's actual name: USS JOHN C STENNIS. That makes it more recognizable in other parts of the ME.

When placing the carrier, I change the name from "unit 001" to "USS JOHN C STENNIS" to make it more recognizable when I'm working with it in the ME. Not necessary, it just saves me from having to keep track on paper.

If you don't want to do that, and assuming that "unit 001" is your carrier, select "unit 001" in your LINK UNIT dropdown menu. That should keep the static planes from falling into the water.

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

Glad you got it sorted. Happy to help!

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London