Setting Up TM Cougar Throttle Radar Cursor in DCS??

msmith301

For some reason when I try to setup the radar cursor knob on my Cougar Throttle to emulate real life I can't get DCS to recognize the control or hat when I move it around. But if I push in on it to "lock" to target as it's meant to do it gives me button 29. However I can pair up any other hat on my target designator left, right, up and down and it recognized the control movement and allow me to attach it.

But when I move what should be the real life radar cursor around the game doesn't recognize it's movements.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

Thanks.

I presume both cursor axis work when you calibrate them?

You have to set them up as horizontal and vertical axis under Axis commands.

If they don't "activate" if you move the cursor, just use the drop down menu under Key/Button and select the correct axis.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I presume both cursor axis work when you calibrate them?

You have to set them up as horizontal and vertical axis under Axis commands.

If they don't "activate" if you move the cursor, just use the drop down menu under Key/Button and select the correct axis.

I can't calibrate them in DCS because it won't recognize the control when I try to assign it to the "designate target" controls. I don't have T.A.R.G.E.T. set up for my controllers because DCS has always recognized them.

Also I don't see any radar cursor assignments in the "Axis Commands" section.

For some reason when I try to setup the radar cursor knob on my Cougar Throttle to emulate real life I can't get DCS to recognize the control or hat when I move it around.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

The Microstick, as it is called, is like a minature joystick .. so, it is not a set of buttons like a Hat, but rather it contains two axes and a single button.

The problem is that the Cougar registers 10 axes (2 on the stick, 5 on the throttle and 3 on the rudders); however Windows' DirectX only allows 8 axes per device, so it is likely that your Microstick axes are at number 9 or 10 ... or maybe you have not tried to bind them as axes instead of buttons.

Show a capture of your Cougar Control Panel to make a better guess at your problem, like this:

MTj790q.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The Microstick, as it is called, is like a minature joystick .. so, it is not a set of buttons like a Hat, but rather it contains two axes and a single button.

The problem is that the Cougar registers 10 axes (2 on the stick, 5 on the throttle and 3 on the rudders); however Windows' DirectX only allows 8 axes per device, so it is likely that your Microstick axes are at number 9 or 10 ... or maybe you have not tried to bind them as axes instead of buttons.

Show a capture of your Cougar Control Panel to make a better guess at your problem, like this:

MTj790q.jpg

Im not sure what program you're using but I see what your saying.

As I said before I never loaded anything up when I started using my old Cougar HOTAS controllers on DCS the game just automatically recognized them.

Im not sure what program you're using ..

I’m using the software that came inside the Cougar’s box when new .. maybe you purchased yours 2nd hand?

Nowadays, the software can still be downloaded from Thrustmaster, on this threads are links for that:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181049

As I said before I never loaded anything up when I started using my old Cougar HOTAS controllers on DCS the game just automatically recognized them.

Yes, it recognized it as a standard DirectX run of the mill joystick, instead of the 400 dollars piece of kit that it really is :) The Cougar has a processor and memory, that go completely unused by DCS.

Using the TM software the Cougar Can do things that the DCS Controls page cant achieve, for example when I need to eject, instead of pressing some button three times, I can hold three buttons for half a second and presto, I’m on my chute :) ... a second example, I can make a button do one thing when pressed briefly, and another when pressed longer, etc etc.

Best regards

Eduardo.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Also I don't see any radar cursor assignments in the "Axis Commands" section.

Look for Target Designator Controller (or TDC) in the axis commands page. There should be 2 of them, one for the x-axis, the other for the y-axis.

Then click assign and in there use the drop down menu of key/button to assign your 2 axis of the microstick.

If you load up the Foxy software (there's a guide here on how to install them under a 64-bit windows), you probably need to set both microstick axis to axis 6 and 7 as shown Rudels screenshot of the CCP (Cougar Control Panel) because they are probably asigned to axis 9 and 10 and Windows only sees 8 axis per controller. Just swap them with the toe brakes.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

A few screenshots of the axis commands:

They are named a bit differently across the different airplanes.

F-16:

sFYXvaY.png

F-18:

CkwAWcO.png

A-10C:

e0OknN1.png

A few screenshots of the axis commands:

They are named a bit differently across the different airplanes.

F-16:

sFYXvaY.png

F-18:

CkwAWcO.png

A-10C:

e0OknN1.png

My biggest problem is that DCS doesn't even show the radar cursor control as even existing.

No matter what I try to assign it to it doesn't show up as active, however I can assign the BTN-29 that you get when you press down on the cursor which would be the target lock for the cursor.

Edited by msmith301

If your Joy_RX and Joy_RY axis are not showing in the dropdown menu as on the screenshot below, this probably means that they are defined as axis 9 and 10 within Windows.

do3Vfpq.png

I'll steel Eduardo's CCP (Cougar Contol Panel) screenshot (he won't mind...;)) and add an oldie of mine to point you in the right direction.

In the screenshot below, you'll see that both the Microstick axis (Joy_RX and Joy_RY) have the axisnumbers 9 and 10 assigned to them and that these numbers have a red circle drawn on them.

This means that they are not seen by Windows since Windows sees only 8 axis per controller.

OZTJiK3.png

Since your throttle is hooked up to the Cougar through one of the two gameports on the stick base, Windows will see both devices as one controller and assigns by default the 3 rudderaxis to axis 6, 7 and 8 even if they are not attached to the Cougars base (that's what the second gameport is for). A bit the same as why DCS sees your rudder as a throttle input by default and the toebrakes as pitch and roll. If you would have a separate throttle attached through USB, like a combo of the Cougar stick and a Warthog throttle you would not have this problem because Windows sees these as 2 controllers which can both have 8 axis assigned.

Now with the Cougar software or Target you can change these axis assignments of both the Microstick axis to axis 6 and 7 (or 7 and 8 or 6 and 8 ) and move two of the rudder axis over to assignments 9 and 10 and in the screenshot below. Then they become visible in Windows.

PS: In general this does not render you rudder useless because i don't know many people who have their rudders hooked up through the gameport of the Cougar. Most use an separate rudder through USB and is therefore recognized by Windows as a new controller with it's own 3 axis so they are obsolete in the CCP, that's why you can assign them to axis 9 and 10 without a problem.

MTj790q.jpg

You can either use Target or the Cougar software to do this.

This gives you also the option to calibrate your axis and gives you (a lot) more control over your DCS inputs because you can use the software to make the buttons do a lot more then a single press can do when assigned directly into DCS.

If you install the Cougar software, this is your starting point (also by Eduardo's hand): https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181049

The Target software has a little advantage over the Cougar software that it comes with two options to program the buttons, either through a GUI (Graphical User Interface) or directly as a C/C++ derivate (which for a lot of people is a step to far). Cougar software does not has the GUI but the programming software is much more readable and understandable for non programmers then the Target one.

Personally i find the Cougar software more straight forward then the Target one.

PS: There are other options to do this like Joystick Gremlin or RSMapper to program your buttons but i don't know if they allow you to change axis assignments.

Edited by Lange_666

Great explanation. I'm finally starting to see some possibilities for fixing this.

The only conflict I see in your suggestion is that my rudder pedals are the older Elite pedals that are seen as the RZ axis I believe in DCS so they have to have a spot within the software.

If I move them to 9 and/or 10 won't this render them nonusable?

Those Elite rudder pedals have a gameport so they are hooked up to your 2nd Cougar game port right?

In that case it won't work since that entire combination has a total of 10 axis on one (combined) controller.

But... there are options to make the pedals (or the throttle) connect to USB through an adapter: (i would opt to go for the rudders on USB and keep the stick and throttle combined).

Example adapter 1:

Example adapter 2:

Tip (which might help without an adapter depending on your setup): If you don't use the Range & Antenna axis on the throttle, you can move these to location 9 and 10.

Tip 2: If you would use the Cougar Foxy software you can program both microstick axis to output continious keypresses "only while moving" and then use those as keyboard commands to move the TDC cursor. It's an option to override the 9th and 10th axis since Foxy will output a stream of keypresses instead of axis values to DCS.

If you want, you can let everything as is in game and only program both microstick axis under Foxy. But i'm sure once you use Foxy, it will open up an entire can of new possibility's and you want to do more with it.

Edited by Lange_666

• 3 weeks later...
Those Elite rudder pedals have a gameport so they are hooked up to your 2nd Cougar game port right?

In that case it won't work since that entire combination has a total of 10 axis on one (combined) controller.

But... there are options to make the pedals (or the throttle) connect to USB through an adapter: (i would opt to go for the rudders on USB and keep the stick and throttle combined).

Example adapter 1:

Example adapter 2:

Will DCS recognize my throttle with some as minimal as these adapters?

I was under the impression that you had to use something that actually had software built into it like Real Simulator's TUSBA.

https://realsimulator.com/tusba/

I can't tell 100% for sure since never tried it.

I just gave you some options to go from gameport to USB.

IMHO it should work.

The TUSBA connecter is made for those who switched to an FCC stick. You then can't use Thrustmasters software anymore and to male the throttle compatible (software wise) with the F CC stick, you need the TUSBA connector.

If i was you i would keep my throttle connected through the gameport on the Cougar stick's base and connect your gameport pedals through a simple gameport to USB adapter (i already mentioned this setup above).

This way you can keep your HOTAS combined and working within the same software (if using Foxy) and use separate rudders. It worked for me for 17 years...

Edited by Lange_666

I can't tell 100% for sure since never tried it.

I just gave you some options to go from gameport to USB.

IMHO it should work.

The TUSBA connecter is made for those who switched to an FCC stick. You then can't use Thrustmasters software anymore and to male the throttle compatible (software wise) with the F CC stick, you need the TUSBA connector.

If i was you i would keep my throttle connected through the gameport on the Cougar stick's base and connect your gameport pedals through a simple gameport to USB adapter (i already mentioned this setup above).

This way you can keep your HOTAS combined and working within the same software (if using Foxy) and use separate rudders. It worked for me for 17 years...

I purchased this so when I get back to my out of town rental house where my setup is I'll try it and see what happens. For only $20 it was worth the gamble to try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6TS8KZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will DCS recognize my throttle with some as minimal as these adapters?

]

Probable no, these Gameport to USB adapter are not made for "advance controllers like TQS", but basic josyticks, they are limited to 4 axis and around 6/8 buttons.

They are solution for simple devices like TCS or Elite rudder pedals.

I purchased this so when I get back to my out of town rental house where my setup is I'll try it and see what happens. For only $20 it was worth the gamble to try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

msmith301 is offline Report Post

But this is video adapter, not gameport adapter.

Edited by Sokol1_br

@msmith301: You made a bit of mess by posting 3 different threads about different problems which leads to a variation of solutions in each from which you then pick a solution which is a mix of the suggested solutions.

First is this one about recognizing the microstick on your Cougar throttle, then their is that other one about Virpil CM2 Throttle vs Warthog Throttle (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278292) and then the one about the Target software (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278674).

I suggested a gameport to USB adapter to unload your rudders from your setup (which was, in fact, not needed because you then said that the rudders didn't have toe brakes in which your problem of the detection of your microstick could be solved by switching the position of the axis in the CCP). In the end you picked up this info, turned it around thinking you could use the same for unloading your Cougar throttle. This is wrong as the VGA to USB adapter will probably not work as Sokol1_br points out. It might be the correct plug but the wiring inside will 9/10 be different.

If you want decent answers, keep everything together and don't start to mix things up. In the end it will be you who will be frustrated.

@msmith301: You made a bit of mess by posting 3 different threads about different problems which leads to a variation of solutions in each from which you then pick a solution which is a mix of the suggested solutions.

First is this one about recognizing the microstick on your Cougar throttle, then their is that other one about Virpil CM2 Throttle vs Warthog Throttle (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278292) and then the one about the Target software (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278674).

I suggested a gameport to USB adapter to unload your rudders from your setup (which was, in fact, not needed because you then said that the rudders didn't have toe brakes in which your problem of the detection of your microstick could be solved by switching the position of the axis in the CCP). In the end you picked up this info, turned it around thinking you could use the same for unloading your Cougar throttle. This is wrong as the VGA to USB adapter will probably not work as Sokol1_br points out. It might be the correct plug but the wiring inside will 9/10 be different.

If you want decent answers, keep everything together and don't start to mix things up. In the end it will be you who will be frustrated.

I started this Thread specifically centered around trying to get the Cougar HOTAS mini joystick on the Throttle Quadrant System working.

My biggest problem is I don't have the CCP anywhere on my computer despite using the controls for some time now.

So far I haven't been able to find any software including the new TARGET GUI that lets me see my axis the way they used to in the older CCP formats as you showed me in this thread on 5-29-2020.

Trust me if I could find this format and move them around as simple as that I would be a happy man.

The VGA to USB connector did not work as you guessed. The problem is the other gameport to USB adapters that you suggested are not the same structural format as my TQS. I have a 3x5 stacked pin where those where a longer narrower 2 stack.

I'm not sure what you mean about mucking up other threads. I'll have to go back and look.

I do know that I was searching around for answers and might have attached a post in a couple.

I've also been doing some posting regarding building control panels for some of the more complicated keyboard macros. Can't stand trying to fly and having to type in some three key combination to do a simple command. Drives me crazy!! But again that has nothing to do with trying to find an answer for TQS radar cursor control problem.

The same with the thread for the Warthog vs. Virpil was not associated with this problem although if I mentioned it in there I apologize.

I was simply looking for input because I was considering upgrading if these problems persisted. Didn't mean to start any confusion.

I know some people read some threads and not others.

Anyway I very much appreciate the input and the help.

I haven't done a lot of computer work in the last 15 years since my son became old enough to tie up all my time. Not complaining. I've loved every minute of it and him.

Now he has been in college for the last 2 years and I decided to check out the DCS add that kept annoyingly popping up on the Youtube videos I was watching.

Holy S**T who knew flight sims had come so far. These were what we always dreamed of back when we were editing European Air War files and increasing bombing runs from 5 B-17s and escorts to 30 B-17s. Man talk about immersive. Scanning the skies as you fly over Europe looking for a 109 to go after. Can't tell you the hours I spent buried in my back room looking at a little 14" monitor.

Believe or not the controls I'm "trying" to use now are the same controls I used back then.

20 years ago.

Any way you can tell me how to find that CCP table that you showed me?

Edited by msmith301

Any way you can tell me how to find that CCP table that you showed me?

Sure. In Rudel_chw topic (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181049) you can find step by step on how to install and setup the 64-bit version of the Cougar software.

There's also a download link to the software in there:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/hotas/exe/hotascougar/2007_hco_vista_64_rc1.exe

Once you go through Rudel_chw's steps to install, you'll find amongst the installed software the CCP and you can play around with the axis setup...;)

Sure. In Rudel_chw topic (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=181049) you can find step by step on how to install and setup the 64-bit version of the Cougar software.

There's also a download link to the software in there:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/pc/hotas/exe/hotascougar/2007_hco_vista_64_rc1.exe

Once you go through Rudel_chw's steps to install, you'll find amongst the installed software the CCP and you can play around with the axis setup...;)

Sounds Good.

If your Joy_RX and Joy_RY axis are not showing in the dropdown menu as on the screenshot below, this probably means that they are defined as axis 9 and 10 within Windows.

do3Vfpq.png

I know this is a little late for when you posted but I was finally able to see what my axis are doing in DCS.

When I pull up this window in DCS it does show RX and RY as a selection.

However it does not show up when I go to the axis commands but when I turn the antenna elevation know it shows up as the RX axis.

So I definitely need to load up the old CCP panel and change the axis commands.