Does T.A.R.G.E.T Software Enhance DCS Enough to Use?

Flightsmmr

In my opinion NO. Never really used TARGET and uninstalled it a few years ago. Never missed it since then.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

In my opinion YES,

some behaviours cannot be replicated without (like cycles action pressing the same button multiple times.)

I think is also useful to edit, clone, store and restore profiles/configs.

I love also the feature that auto-make infographics abouts commands.

For me is a must have tool

If you invest some time and effort to understand how the full set of features work, it is well worth it. It opens a whole new feature set and enhances the gameplay no end, put in the time and you won’t be sorry. Also plenty of help from the community if you get stuck and need help.

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

Definately yes. Without Target you're missing a lot of your (Warthog?) Hotas potential. You can make use of each switch positions, for each module regardless wich function you want to bind. Without editing the .lua file. Yet alone this is worth the time getting into it IMO. And Target offers much more options, such as sequences and delayed input. When getting used to Target, it becomes a very powerful tool.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Nope, use RSMapper.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Nope, use RSMapper.

Didn't use it for years then I downloaded the F18....

Needed it for two/three way switches to work. Now I use Gizzy's profile on the throttle for all aircraft.

I understand it can do a lot more such as having "shift" like functions to give buttons multi use. Not for me but some find that aspect useful.

Yes it's worth it but then it depends on what you want your HOTAS (buttons/axis) to do for you.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

In my opinion YES,

some behaviours cannot be replicated without (like cycles action pressing the same button multiple times.)

I think is also useful to edit, clone, store and restore profiles/configs.

I love also the feature that auto-make infographics abouts commands.

For me is a must have tool

Skeinon/

could you elaborate the "cycle action"?

I am most keen to learn how to use this.

is it part of "sequence" function?

what I cant figure out is that by the time you click twice, the 2nd click would have triggered an action, ie before you could reach 3rd click....

thanks

From the Target Manual:

Sequences:

The SEQ (from sequence) function is used to generate different keystrokes each time you press the button. This way you can manage all external views or select your weapons just by pressing one button:

MapKey(&Joystick, S1, SEQ('a', 'b', 'c'));

In this case, pressing TG1 once will provide an 'a' that can be held until you release the trigger; press the trigger again and you will get 'b'; press again and you will get a 'c' that you can hold, and then from the beginning again – 'a'...

There's more in the manual to read.

Could you explain your question about the 2nd and 3th click a bit more because i don't really understand your question.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Skeinon/

what I cant figure out is that by the time you click twice, the 2nd click would have triggered an action, ie before you could reach 3rd click....

thanks

That is what would could happen with a "multi tap" function. The Sequence (Cycle) that Target propose isn't that, see previous post. Afaik we can not do multi tap in Target, at least not without writing your own function.

When we use multi tap, we usually make a delay. For exemple on a button we could have a multi tap with 3 different event. But nothing would happen before a pre-defined delay which would let you multi tap the button without triggering first and second event if you wanted to trigger the third one.

Even if you press the button only once, the event would occurs only after the delay.

You could use Joystick Gremlin to set multi tap easily :

https://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/overview/

thats very difficult, as TARGET is fundamentally a programming language ... so let me give you a simple example I have the F-16 stick and i use this

MapKey		(	&Joystick,	H3U,		DX15);	
	MapKey		(	&Joystick,	H3D,		DX16);
	MapKey		(	&Joystick,	H3L,		TEMPO(	DX17,
														DX78,	500)); //acts as a DMS depress on a long press
	MapKey		(	&Joystick,	H3R,		DX18);

to map a long press of the DMS key to be like the depress button for the F-18.

generically where there is a switch state absent natively i can likely code it in via TARGET

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

So you you set up your mapping functions in T.A.R.G.E.T. or in the DCS controls profile or both?

Has there been anything with T.A.R.G.E.T. conflicting with DCS controls setup?

not that i can remember, all i do in TARGET is set up the buttons, so if i want a long press to do something different ... ala the DMS switch, then i do that, and then just map it as per normal.

but in this specific example if you use a button that has a long press function, or something that want to be held down (like the S3 button for NWS), then that wont be compatible ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

So you you set up your mapping functions in T.A.R.G.E.T. or in the DCS controls profile or both?

Has there been anything with T.A.R.G.E.T. conflicting with DCS controls setup?

You set up everything in Target and it just generates a keep output, DCS sees it as a combined virtual controller, all you have to set up in DCS is the axis bindings and ensure the key presses correlate between Target and what is in DCS keymap.

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

It's the only way presently to have your Afterburner detent match the physical device precisely and linearly. So I use it. And also because trackIR makes no distictions between DX Button # on my stick and my trottle.

Ive been impressed with Target for the warthog throttle since I started flying F/A-18. Theres a mod on here to let you simulate 128 buttons which means you can model a button press for each position (On/Off) on the throttle and assign the lights to functions like gear. For me its made the Warthog much more practical for the Hornet, though if you were flying warthog or something simpler you may not notice. Current config attached as reference

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS Layout Template.pdf

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 6 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, Flightsmmr said:

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if the T.A.R.G.E.T software enhances

DCS enough to use?

The obvious parallel is FSUIPC, which is definitely worth the time

it takes to improve FSX.

Thanks in advance.

Flightsimmr

Tried it, gave up on it, use JoytoyKey instead and am very happy with it.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

As others have already said it depends what you want to do, if you're looking to just map, keys then probably no (although it can enhance flexibility.............a lot).

If you really want to get the most out of what the HOTAS is capable of then its a must.

TARGET can also do Trims, curves and change axes limits on the fly. It can turn axes to button presses, and have buttons replicate axes albeit in a limited way. I use it in conjunction with Voice Attack and love the flexibilty it offers.

That said it needs some time invested with it to understand the programming, but even starting with the GUI is useful then moving to the Editor later. To realize its true potential you really need to have a rudimetary understanding of the programming language. The TM Script guide is IMHO the best place to start with that.

I would hate to be without it now and wish there was a commercial standalone software equivalent that I could use with other devices. Voice attack is the nearest I've found for buttons and switches, but can't help much with axes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, Weegie said:

I would hate to be without it now and wish there was a commercial standalone software equivalent that I could use with other devices. Voice attack is the nearest I've found for buttons and switches, but can't help much with axes.

Vjoy+Joystick Gremlin. And optionally Hid Guardian to hide physical device like Target is capable of.

• Thanks 1

My Warthog talks to me.  Tells me what layer I'm in (Up, Middle,Down).  Tells me how my Mic Switch is going to work ( SRS, ViaCom Pro, DCS Easy Coms, DCS Realistic Coms) witch I can switch on the fly by use of a custom function.  By use of a custom .tmh file I have 120 controller buttons and still have access to 102 keyboard keys and as many Macros as I can think of.

At the flip of a switch I can make my throttle mounted mini stick go from an axis behavior to a standard 4-way hat switch.

TARGET Script Editor is a handy bit of kit.

• Like 1

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS