VR getting worse?

Quekel

Dont know if it is DCS, NVIDIA, or SteamVR but VR performance is just getting worse and worse..

I’m not sure, but maybe this is related to lower performance (latest ED’s Newsletter)

DCS World Open Beta Update

For the second week in a row, we are updating the DCS World Open Beta. Highlights of the update this week include:

DCS World

- AGM-154A now corrected for wind conditions.

- Increased draw distance of static objects to compare to AI/Player objects.

- Increased draw distances of Map objects.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Maybe it's me but after an update the screen door effect seems to be increased on my Rift S..I checked the settings and everything is as it was supposed to be. The image quality decreased and it appears harder to read MFDs in my Hornet..

Anyone else having the same / similar issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Whodat seems to be suffering from something similar with his Pimax on Large FOV (see here: Pimax 5k+ aliasing only on large FOV), but I personally am not seeing it and performance is great for me, although I'm just using the Hornet training missions as my benchmark here...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dont know if it is DCS, NVIDIA, or SteamVR but VR performance is just getting worse and worse..

I've actually noticed a big improvement with the VR and DCS. Able to turn more and more settings up, even ones that I didn't dare touch before.

Most current Nvidia driver (20190820), current version of DCS OB, no mods and using CV1 (with a measly "little" GTX980).

Not sure what gives, but every update gets better on this side.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

The 8/14 update was where performance has gotten REALLY BAD for me and I only fly in SP. I'm hitting mid 20s fps where I usually get 45+. I haven't tried the 8/21 update yet, but more likely i'll be doing a 8/07 patch back. I don't care about a Harpoon so I won't be missing much.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I'ts BADLY worse. I was getting 45+ FPS with everything high/medium with pixel density of 1.5. Sometimes 90fps. After the patch on the 14th.. my FPS has TANKED HARD. 15fps.

SORRY ED.. I'm not buying anything from you guys anymore with the game like this. Why would I can can't play this game like this! It's SO BAD I can't even play. It's bad on a SCREEN... and forget VR... 15FPS in VR? No thanks. I want to keep my lunch in my stomach.

Uninstalling. All this money spent on this game and I can't play it now. FIX THIS.

Running a RTX 2080, 32GB DDR4 RAM, i7 6700k. NVME SSD on a Rift CV1 on Windows 10. There's no reason it should run like this. It's not acceptable. Ran fine with windows 10 before the patch on the 14th.

Edited by csdigitaldesign

I'ts BADLY worse. I was getting 45+ FPS with everything high/medium with pixel density of 1.5. Sometimes 90fps. After the patch on the 14th.. my FPS has TANKED HARD. 15fps.

SORRY ED.. I'm not buying anything from you guys anymore with the game like this. Why would I can can't play this game like this! It's SO BAD I can't even play. It's bad on a SCREEN... and forget VR... 15FPS in VR? No thanks. I want to keep my lunch in my stomach.

Uninstalling. All this money spent on this game and I can't play it now. FIX THIS.

Running a RTX 2080, 32GB DDR4 RAM, i7 6700k. NVME SSD. There's no reason it should run like this. It's not acceptable.

I'm having the same problems as you, but why uninstall it? Just patch back to the version before the 8/14 until they fix it. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem like many people are having this issue.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

I'm having the same problems as you, but why uninstall it? Just patch back to the version before the 8/14 until they fix it. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem like many people are having this issue.

They are. I hear about it more and more. The thing is MOST people are not using VR. It seems to be an issue with ONLY VR.. mostly on multiplayer..... on Windows 10. Not sure if Rift or Vive / Index is any different.

So that's not a HUGE amount of people. But for DCS that is a larger number then most games... more sim players use VR then other PC gamers do.

At any rate this performance is ridiculous. I can't play.

Well, the more people report, the better. There's still a lot of people saying they do not have a decrease in performance. I hope ED can reproduce the bad performance on their end in order to fix it. However, with the announcement of a stable version update next week, it doesn't seem like this issue is important enough to resolve. I feel like if they could reproduce it, this issue would not make it to the stable version.

• 3 weeks later...

HTC VIVE - unplayable

On my PC , i7 8700, 1660Ti, 16GB Ram, it works relativly well, i would say acceptable, but on my friends pc - we want to fly as pilot and rio in the f-14 tomcat, yay , with an even better system, it just doesnt work.

every few seconds the DCS Loading Screen shows up and vanishes after some seconds, so that it s basically unplayable.

He turned down all settings to low and zero.zerozero, but it is the same.

All drivers and firmware (vive and gra-card and so on) are up to date, the vive works well with other apps, so it s not a pure vive issue.

it runs on ssd - we just have no damn clue why he has so big problems and i dont.

it is unplayable, and we both spend good money for GREAT F-14 - but when we cant play it, it SUCKS.

Does anyone else have this specific issue?

No freezes, no whitescreen, instead DCS-Loadingscreen 50 times per Min.

Any ideas what to try to fix that???

• 2 weeks later...

Same story here. Have had O+ and are now sporting the Reverb. The performance have degraded lately to a level where I’m not able to complete a mission. The sound volume adjusts back and forth and also the Steam screen flickers in and out. This might be a steam issue? When flying 2D I didn’t have the issues.

I have a high end system.

Hi folks,

flying in VR for a long time, I can say the following about all perormance issues, no matter which version of DCS i fly:

It took a while to figure out what caused low frame rates in VR (below 45), but the issue simply speaking was a far too high load on the graphic card (NVidia 1070, 8GB, no specials).

The processor is bored (at 30-50% depending on map and mission, it is a 4,4 GHz Quadcore i7600, cStates and Multithreading turned OFF).

Removed: Terrain shadows (DCS)

Removed: MSAA (DCS)

Removed: SSAA (DCS)

Removed: FXAA (NVidia)

Anisotropic filtering: 8x (DCS)

Terrain textures: LOW (DCS)

Water: MEDIUM (DCS)

Visibility: MEDIUM (DCS)

Mirrors: Only when needed

Sync: OFF

And some other settings in NVidia control panel

Oculus: reduced to "small size" of 30MB folder size on the SDD, and "SERVICE ONLY MODE" instead of running freaking Oculus Home (having totally useless 10GB shit stuff on the SDD).

I am starting the OVRService by hand only when I need the Rift. Windows 7, not 10!

Now, when flying on a medium filled map I have constant 90 frames per second (e.g. in all flaming cliffs a/c, also in the F-5E). When flying on BLUE FLAG server I have constant 45, no matter which aircraft I use.

If I increase some of the above values, I land at 45. Only when using mirrors I sometimes have 30 (Viggen, F-14).

Found my way, but it took quite a while ... :D

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Hi folks,

flying in VR for a long time, I can say the following about all perormance issues, no matter which version of DCS i fly:

It took a while to figure out what caused low frame rates in VR (below 45), but the issue simply speaking was a far too high load on the graphic card (NVidia 1070, 8GB, no specials).

The processor is bored at 30-50% depending on map and mission (4,4 GHz Quadcore i7600, cStates and Multithreading turned OFF).

Removed: Terrain shadows (DCS)

Removed: MSAA (DCS)

Removed: SSAA (DCS)

Removed: FXAA (NVidia)

Anisotropic filtering: 8x (DCS)

Terrain textures: LOW (DCS)

Water: MEDIUM (DCS)

Visibility: MEDIUM (DCS)

Mirrors: Only when needed

Sync: OFF

And some other settings in NVidia control panel

Oculus: reduced to "small size" of 30MB and "SERVICE ONLY MODE" instead of running Oculus Home having totally useless 10GB shit stuff.

I am starting the OVRService by hand only when I need the Rift. Windows 7, not 10!

Now, when flying on a medium filled map I have constant 90 frames per second (e.g. in all flaming cliffs a/c, also in the F-5E). When flying on BLUE FLAG server I have constant 45, no matter which aircraft I use.

If I increase some of the above values, I land at 45. Only when using mirrors I sometimes have 30 (Viggen, F-14).

Found my way, but it took quite a while ... :D

I’m not sure if my next move will be to go for a better graphics card. Going by your impressions it could be worth it. It gets disappointing as it wasn’t long ago that I built a new rig with VR in mind. And we never really got confirmation if the VR improvements were implemented into the game or not. I did notice an improvement a while back, but it certainly hasn’t improved since. Can we expect this to be looked at again? Will we see any further improvements? Or is it a case of spending more ££££ on hardware?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Oculus: reduced to "small size" of 30MB folder size on the SDD, and "SERVICE ONLY MODE" instead of running freaking Oculus Home (having totally useless 10GB shit stuff on the SDD).

Hi mate, is this easy to do and is it worth me doing it? I’m not fussed about the Oculus Home running all the time...

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

As soon as I get back to my computer, I will publish the listing of which files are still on my SDD (not much ...).

BTW: Tried this trick yesterday on my friends' machine under Windows 10, worked like a charm too!!

Edited by TOViper

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Planes with the most detailed (and possibly un-optimized) cockpits tend to have lower frame rates in VR. Perhaps more should be done to make cockpit detail more VR friendly?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I’m not sure if my next move will be to go for a better graphics card. Going by your impressions it could be worth it. It gets disappointing as it wasn’t long ago that I built a new rig with VR in mind. And we never really got confirmation if the VR improvements were implemented into the game or not. I did notice an improvement a while back, but it certainly hasn’t improved since. Can we expect this to be looked at again? Will we see any further improvements? Or is it a case of spending more ££££ on hardware?

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the best thing you can do to improve VR performance is to put the CV1 on reserve and get a Reverb. When I was using my CV1 for DCS, on the same rig, I went from a 1080ti to a 2080ti, and had no real noticeable performance gain. Once I had the 2080ti for a while, I got the HP Reverb, and the performance is smooth as silk now. With the much higher native resolution of the Reverb, you'll no longer need to use PD above 1.0. Setting PD higher and higher is what really kills VR performance in DCS. Better visuals, better performance, half the cost of a new GPU. Win, win, win! :D

Also, especially in the A-10C, something that hasn't been mentioned is the "Resolution of cockpit displays" setting. That has a big impact on performance when you have an image being displayed on the MPCDs from the TGP and/or Mavericks. I have mine set to 256, and I can see everything I need to see with the Reverb.

Setting visibility to medium had undesired effects. Even on a CV1, I was seeing ground objects suddenly appearing, well within visual range. Setting that to high makes it so that doesn't happen. Going higher than that? I haven't seen any reason to.

I have my water set to low. But, I mostly fly the A-10C. I don't spend much time over water in it, because I'm not sure if my seat cushion can be used as a flotation device in the event of a water landing. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi mate, is this easy to do and is it worth me doing it? I’m not fussed about the Oculus Home running all the time...

This is what is left of Oculus Software on my SDD:

dirlisting.txt

I download this package somewhere from the net, but please don't ask my where I got it from :/

Edit: In fact it is the Oculus Client Version 1.30.0.20647

Edited by TOViper

my computer:

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the best thing you can do to improve VR performance is to put the CV1 on reserve and get a Reverb. When I was using my CV1 for DCS, on the same rig, I went from a 1080ti to a 2080ti, and had no real noticeable performance gain. Once I had the 2080ti for a while, I got the HP Reverb, and the performance is smooth as silk now. With the much higher native resolution of the Reverb, you'll no longer need to use PD above 1.0. Setting PD higher and higher is what really kills VR performance in DCS. Better visuals, better performance, half the cost of a new GPU. Win, win, win! :D

Also, especially in the A-10C, something that hasn't been mentioned is the "Resolution of cockpit displays" setting. That has a big impact on performance when you have an image being displayed on the MPCDs from the TGP and/or Mavericks. I have mine set to 256, and I can see everything I need to see with the Reverb.

Setting visibility to medium had undesired effects. Even on a CV1, I was seeing ground objects suddenly appearing, well within visual range. Setting that to high makes it so that doesn't happen. Going higher than that? I haven't seen any reason to.

I have my water set to low. But, I mostly fly the A-10C. I don't spend much time over water in it, because I'm not sure if my seat cushion can be used as a flotation device in the event of a water landing. :)

Thanks for this information, I’ve had my eye on the reverb but didn’t want to make a £600 investment on something that wouldn’t run very well. But it sounds like a good bit of kit. The CV1 has been good for a start in VR but it is starting to piss me off a little now.

How are the colours on the reverb? I find colours just off with the Oculus particularly Normandy, and does it have a software similar to Oculus or do you run it through steam VR?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Thanks for this information, I’ve had my eye on the reverb but didn’t want to make a £600 investment on something that wouldn’t run very well. But it sounds like a good bit of kit. The CV1 has been good for a start in VR but it is starting to piss me off a little now.

How are the colours on the reverb? I find colours just off with the Oculus particularly Normandy, and does it have a software similar to Oculus or do you run it through steam VR?

I think the colors are just fine after an in-flight adjustment of gamma correction, but opinion on that varies from one person to the next. The Reverb is a WMR headset, so it doesn't have its own software. You run it through Steam VR, and the Steam VR for WMR plug-in. Once you get both of those installed and set up, the process of going into VR is as simple as it is with the CV1. Just start DCS and pull the HMD on. Everything that needs to happen should happen automatically. Since you currently have the CV1, you can keep Oculus Home from running automatically by going into the compatibility settings of the .exe file and checking the "Run as administrator" box. After you do that, you'll still be able to run your CV1, you just have to manually start Oculus Home. This will prevent the software for the two HMDs from interfering with each other, which has been known to cause weird performance and control issues. You may see a lot of talk about setting SS in Steam VR to around 188%, but I haven't found that setting it to anything higher than 100% has any benefit to the visual quality in DCS. My theory on that is that DCS isn't capable of rendering VR in a resolution higher than the native resolution of the Reverb, so all higher PD and SS settings get you is dramatic decreases in performance.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Although I'm not happy to be having issues, I am glad to see that other people are getting the "steam flicker" thing. I thought there was something wrong with my system or VR but, if others are experiencing it, then it is way more likely to be a DCS issue.