Handling on the ground

ebabil

During take off and landing, plane goes to right or left very violently. With other planes like hornet and tomcat, i don't get this problem that seriously, i can manage to keep them on the runway somewhow

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I had to dial in a decent curve into the rudder axis. I think it's down to the narrow wheel track exacerbating any lateral load shifting.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Turn NSW steering off once over 70 knots, as the rudder is much more gentle than the NSW

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi!

During take off and landing, plane goes to right or left very violently. With other planes like hornet and tomcat, i don't get this problem that seriously, i can manage to keep them on the runway somewhow

Just a question: do you disable the NWS over 60kts as required?

Regards.

Hi!

Just a question: do you disable the NWS over 60kts as required?

Regards.

yes if i don't do it, i would end up leaving runway from the sides before take off.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I’ve noticed this problem as well. It’s almost like the nosewheel loses traction after you advance the throttle to takeoff thrust. You have to correct the drift which by then is close to 50kts. I don’t know. Just seems odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

My experience is that since the last update behaviour on the ground is problematic and NWS is extremely sensitive. Flatten the axis does not solve the problem and has practically no effect.

Intel i5-11400 CPU @ 4.30GHz / ASUS Prime B560-Plus / 32GB DDR3 RAM 3000 Mhz Dual / MSI Nvidia GTX  1060 6GB /  SSD Samsung 120/250/500GB  / IIyama  27" 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz / Track IR 4+Track Clip Pro / Sennheiser PC 360 / Thrustmaster Warthog Throttel , VPC-Warbrd D+Warthog Stick, TFRP Rudder / WIN 10

Ever tried. Sometimes failed. No matter. Try again.Fail again. Fail better.

Samuel Beckett (?)

Hopefully NWS sensitivity will at some point soon be correlated to speed. Right now it's far too twitchy at anything over a brisk walk and tuning it out with axis curves kills rudder effectiveness.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

I'm getting a very distinct pull to the right side of the runway always on takeoff. I do disengaged NWS steering around 50-60kts, but I find I still need quite a bit of rudder to keep the jet in the middle of the runway until liftoff. It almost like taking off with a big prop motor with lots of torque. A single engine centerline thrust jet should not be veering off the runway so quickly with no rudder inputs. I can't imagine the real F-16 behaves this way.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I'm getting a very distinct pull to the right side of the runway always on takeoff. I do disengaged NWS steering around 50-60kts, but I find I still need quite a bit of rudder to keep the jet in the middle of the runway until liftoff. It almost like taking off with a big prop motor with lots of torque. A single engine centerline thrust jet should not be veering off the runway so quickly with no rudder inputs. I can't imagine the real F-16 behaves this way.

Same Effect..Same Thinking

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Which direction does the turbine spin? It is feasible that as the rotor of the turbine spins up the reaction force from the airframe causes an increase in weight on one wheel. Unlikely granted given the mass of the turbine rotor will be a small proportion of the overall weight, but I guess still possible.

Have ED commented yet on whether this behaviour is true to life?

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

If it was so skittish in RL I doubt it would be allowed. Certainly not safe for multi plane TO even with separation. As usual with these issues there will be some of us that apparently have no problems with it.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

If it was so skittish in RL I doubt it would be allowed. Certainly not safe for multi plane TO even with separation. As usual with these issues there will be some of us that apparently have no problems with it.

I know of four real jets that are able to take off with no issue in a fingertip formation constantly. Yet :joystick: our jet just :megalol::doh:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

at 80% rpm she starts hovering.

Take a clean jet with barely any fuel, have it roll around and look how your guncross moves up when you are just at 10 / 20 / 30 kt ground speed.

The nosewheel is center of lift.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

The problem is also exacerbated if you are using the keyboard for rudder / nose-wheel steering because it is either all or nothing. A depress of the X / Y key gives FULL nose-wheel or rudder. It is horrible.

I use my rig for dual use of both flight sim and racing. So when I do not have my flight pedals on because I have my racing pedals mounted, it is virtually impossible to take off with an asymmetric load out.

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

Interesting...... I wonder if there is a bug in the brakes that maybe the right MLG brake is dragging ever so slightly. I see this when I brake as well, the jet pulls ever so slightly right with both toe brakes equally applied. But a slightly higher brake setting on one side would be exacerbated at higher speeds such as takeoff and landing.

I may go and play with my brake setting curves and see if this has any effect.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Yes could be, I have had landings where i could not keep the plane on the runway always went off to the right side, when aero braking. Granted there was quite a bit of wind, it was controllable while still airborn and 2 m over the rundway, but as soon i touch down it went crazy full left rudder and still went off to the right. The plane even wanted to flip over to the left. both rear tires were on the ground speed about 100 IAS. had to put in full right stick to compensate.

So I played with my toe brake settings on my rudder pedals And I set the deadzone slightly higher on the right brake (10) than the left (5) and it definitely seemed to make a difference in tracking on the ground. When it was heavy weight at t/o, it seemed track straight ahead at high speed before NW liftoff. I even took my feet off the pedals and it didn't veer right all. Same on landing while heavyweight. If anything it seemed to want to pull every so slight left now. But nothing like it was doing before.

I then tried the same settings pretty lightweight on both takeoff and landing. It was much improved, but did seem to want to pull slightly more left now. But again, nowhere as drastic as it was doing to the right before I made the changes.

What I notice is when the jet is really lightweight on landing and you get in the aerobrake and get the nose up towards 10 deg at high speed - it wants to "dance" on the main gears quite a bit. Once you get slow and start to lower the nose, it really dampens out a lot. And then once you're fully on the brakes and the nose strut compresses, the steering is much easier to control.

Anyway, in conclusion - it appears that there may be some uneven drag on one of the brakes (suspect R) and perhaps tweaking the different brake settings will get it handling easier on the ground.

Prompted by =Panther= in another topic I trickled down the runway at sub 20knts trying both left and right toe break alternately. Initially I had the opposite to =Panther=. But after coming to a halt and moving off again a couple of times the zero toe break changed sides. So at takeoff I had only one side working and that side changed during the roll.

Edited by CobaltUK

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

• 4 months later...
Which direction does the turbine spin? It is feasible that as the rotor of the turbine spins up the reaction force from the airframe causes an increase in weight on one wheel. Unlikely granted given the mass of the turbine rotor will be a small proportion of the overall weight, but I guess still possible.

Have ED commented yet on whether this behaviour is true to life?

Just a note that the fans, compressors & turbines aren't really producing any real torque. They would only do so if there was a significant shaft output like a turboprop or I suppose if the engine or its mounings were significantly offset.

I have found the F16 to be extremely tippy. I can easily scrape my nose or a wintip, or even turn turtle just by turning too fast while taxying.