Why should i get Combined Arms? I need a bit of convincing!

MadTommy

Hello all...

I'm on the fence with regards to CA... and i am looking for some good sales people to convince me. As i'm struggling to see what the draw really is. I'm a supporter.. i have every other product in this line, from LockOn to the P-51. I don't have a lot of time to play what i already have.

I'd love it if people could let me know the feature that makes it a must have for them!

My main concern is: The DCS world cannot cope with very large and busy missions... lots of action and units is enough to bring any PC to its knees and cause stability issues. Without a lot of action do i want to be sat in a tank or AA vehicle for hours? I don't mind slow games and being patient.. but i can't imagine enough going on on the ground to make it a fun experience. if i man a AA vehicle in multiplayer.. i can see myself sitting around for hours without much action. Also the AI in DCS concerns me.. its not exactly the sharpest tool about... and the MP scene is limited to low numbers.

I have read the news posts and watched the promo video, but am just not convinced.. and i want to be! But having wasted too much money on games i hardly play i feel i owe it to myself to be cautious...

So why did you buy it.. and how will you make use of it?

Thanks.

Edited by MadTommy
typos

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I dont know it well enough yet to sell it to you but it would give you an even number of icons in your sig. Otherwise, I wouldnt be too interested in it for single player.

I do like the possibilities for MP with someone doing jtac etc via TS. I do like that someone can take control of ground forces when your teams AI is useless and can help in some scenarios. I see it as a bloody good tool for MP but not sure if I would be the person wanting to take on that role.

Edited by metalnwood

I promised myself not to buy it. As usual with ED products, this lasts only a few days. It's great fun after an intensive (airborne) mission to drive around with a vehicle and shoot stuff. Being JTAC is also very rewarding, if I have to believe the guy who lased over 15 tanks for me yesterday. Laser on! SHIFT! Targets destroyed!

'Frett'

I'm on the fence with regards to CA... and i am looking for some good sales people to convince me. As i'm struggling to see what the draw really is.

Hey Bruno, go around to theese MadTommy heh ... and take the .22 and pop him in the left kneecap a-couple of times. He needs to be convinced.

If he doesn't join the party in a couple of days pay him another visit (neighbourly like) and pop him in the right knee. Capiche? :D

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Only the JTAC and the ability to relocate assets on the F10 map during a mission is worth getting it for. As a bonus you also get the ability to control certain vehicles, which is fun but very simple and in no way comparable to the other modules.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me the largest draw was the RTS aspect, controlling the whole front and assisting from the Air when necessary. I could spend 4-5 hours on the one mission easy.

Sadly this RTS aspect seems to have gotten lost among the Coolness factor of controlling the vehicles - being JTAC online. For me it is the Single biggest improvement CA offers.

But really you don't need us to sell it to you - you'll buy it anyway, you know you will :)

Nate

For me the largest draw was the RTS aspect, controlling the whole front and assisting from the Air when necessary.

Oh yeah. Fond memories of early A-10C: "let's play some Command & Conquer!" :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I promised myself not to buy it. As usual with ED products, this lasts only a few days. It's great fun after an intensive (airborne) mission to drive around with a vehicle and shoot stuff. Being JTAC is also very rewarding, if I have to believe the guy who lased over 15 tanks for me yesterday. Laser on! SHIFT! Targets destroyed!

With all respect for those who love the P51, I think that CA is a better investment....:thumbup:..However this A10 RCTRL+J is driving me crazy...no sense at all

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

I plan on buying it, with dreams of rolling up on the enemy base blasting fools with my tank! Hitting people all up in they mouth :D

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

But really you don't need us to sell it to you - you'll buy it anyway, you know you will :)

Nate

There is a worrying amount of truth to that statement.... but the I have a nagging feeling that I'll only use it to get a better understanding of mission creation dynamics with it in mind. I just want to understand what it brings to the table.. not really play it..not sure if that is a reason to buy it

Thanks for the input do far.. keep it coming.. I'm not sold yet! ;)

Some developer's notes kind of thing would help me understand more about the product.. hint hint :P

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

I had a blast earlier today taking command of the Red forces on one of the China servers, and driving a T-80 to Batumi, where I absolutely slaughtered the A-10's attempting to take off. A couple got airborne and started strafing me and firing rockets - I managed survive for a while and even disable the gun on one of the A-10's with my coaxial turret... before I was unexpectedly hit by a Maverick. Still, it gave me smug satisfaction to catch those tank-killers on the runway :D

That sort of armoured exploitation has been my favourite aspect of CA in the short time I've had it, and I consider it worth buying. Even if you choose not to buy it, the existence of CA has already made multiplayer games more interesting for everyone.

There is a worrying amount of truth to that statement.... but the I have a nagging feeling that I'll only use it to get a better understanding of mission creation dynamics with it in mind. I just want to understand what it brings to the table.. not really play it..not sure if that is a reason to buy it

It just adds a whole new dynamic to the battlefield. Instead of relying on mission creators to set arbitrary waypoints so that forces meet someone in the middle - particularly if you're playing force on force - you can now command units on where to move, where to strike and not know what the enemy may well be planning.

Much better for an A-10C pilot to have a raging war underneath you and actually make a difference for a win than to take off from A, bomb B, land C. Prior to CA, there really was no conclusion to a battle for me. I flew a mission, if I had a successful strike on the targets I was assigned then I was satisfied I did my job. Now with an active, controllable ground force, where I strike can make an actual difference.

I said I wouldn't buy it too.....that plan didn't last very long. But it is well worth the money! I can now easily lose myself in single player missions for 3+ :music_whistling: hours! I now actually care about my troops down there, and take it personally when they're getting shot at.

Being able to take control of the vehicles is cool, but the new RTS element is the best feature for me!

PC spec: i9 9900KS @ 5.1ghz, 32GB RAM, 2 TB NVME M2, RTX 3090

Peripherals: TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, Rift S, Custom UFC

The reason to buy it is...It is 1000% better than Wargames European Escalation concerning playability, future upgrades, multiplayer and more:thumbup:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Wargames is awesome, but hard.

There's one deciding factor in picking this up, and that's if the commander can create, in real time, a mission that someone else can then jump in a vehicle or aircraft and carry out said mission, with waypoints loaded as applicable.

Ie, one guy is playing RTS, and the other is his A-10 "unit" Anyone know if this is possible?

For me it's the exchange of tracer fire in the early morning and the growl of triple A into the still air, watching the streaks of yellow shooting up and floating slowly down and the return of green tracer thumping off the dirt around you and bouncing up sharply.

OK here's a point you might consider: What will be developed continually long after each mod has moved to bug support? The core framework of course. For as long as the framework exists it will get updated. And CA is basically the core of the entire shebang. Its the start and end of everything. Sure the main event is death from above right now, but polishing them off face to face when you aborted early is at least some come back. The options it brings are huge and I suppose.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Well for me im holding off till its out of Beta. With steam sales going on I can get 4 good games for the price of CA. Now thats not saying I will not buy CA because I buy all of ED products its just DAM ED why you had to go ahead and release it when the steam sale is going on!

Well for me im holding off till its out of Beta. With steam sales going on I can get 4 good games for the price of CA. Now thats not saying I will not buy CA because I buy all of ED products its just DAM ED why you had to go ahead and release it when the steam sale is going on!

so the steam sale holds value up against this DCS goodness ? get you priorities right man !<joke> but seriously. that stuff will last you a month or two. this is the future battlefield right before you. spend wisely !

i did just purchase portal 2 for a few quids.

Edited by Ali Fish

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam just vapourises my limited time.

I'm lucky to get an hour straight, even on a weekend; which is why flight Sims are my only thing.

But I'll get CA for sure.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!