So I got Gazzele on sale.

DmitriKozlowsky

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have the Huey and the Shark. My main concern is how close real pilots find the flight model to the real thing.

Twin axle rotors aren't so common and the shark has computer assist for flight. It's a one man weapons platform and hunting tanks is really fun in this chopper but flying it would not relate much to anything in real life.

The Huey seems to be something close to what a real Huey would fly like (according to people who claim to know) so it's been fun to fly.

Now the Gazelle is a light chopper and so it would be a lot more responsive then the big Ole Huey plus it has cool weapon systems.

I've read the forums and a lot of people who claim to know say the flight model isn't close to real so that's what's been holding me back.

That's my thoughts on it. Be curious to hear whether others recommend or not.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also have UH-1H and KA-50. For a combat helo, KA-50 seems slow and sluggish, but thats just me. Visibility in Kamov is abysmal, for a helicopter. I think that when Russians designed her, they wanted A-4M Skyhawk that can do VTOL. When Russians designed KA-52, they wanted A-6E Intruder that does VTOL. Compare GW and stores weights. Obviously not the same, but similar enough. As are crew cabin visibility.

Vis in UH-1H is great and appears fantastic in Gazzelle. Though it seems to me that a bad guy with a 9MM Luger or carbine can put little birdie permanently on the ground. Everything is exposed. Engine, gearbox, hub. Gazelle and LH-6 of Vietnam, are basically infantrymen with rotors. They fight at same distance as infantry, and their base is just behind FLOT of own infantry.

yep she's pretty fragile, but more of a lightly armed scout/sniper, so as such treat her that way.

bought her in sale too so I have all the copters, was the last as I didn't think it would add anything, and I'm pleasantly wrong.

such a different bird to fly very nimble needs no trimming fly's very well with small inputs, when airborne needs virtually no pedal inputs till coming to a hover(for general flight)had a few probs with finding things of how they work in the manual, but yea glad I have her

I don't have MI-8. Not really a fan of Sov/Russian helicopters, except perhaps MIL-2 Hoplite. Russian rotors feel like flying an 'old crate'. Perhaps if MI-8 is on sale for cheap, sometime in the near future, I may get it. But Hip is a bus, a truck. Huey can, at least be a gunship of sorts, KA-50 is great but sucks in sensor area and at night. KA-50 pit, really is not good for ship or small pad landing, or confined area ops. My thing to landing Shark is to slowly side-shimmy sideways to the port(left), as there is more visibility through door.

In regards to Gazelle and UH-1H in DCS. The degree of deflection of pedals are inversed between the two for same flight attitude. Fwd and RWD cyclic positions are way different. Thus right now, my UH-1H muscle memory is interfering with Gazelle. Its also extremely sensitive.

In UH-1H to take off into GE hover, pedals LEFT a bit, cyclic back and to the left (like in JFK film. Coincidence?), then slow collective UP.

In GZL its pedals to right a little but, cyclic center with a slight amount of FWD pressure (depending on relative wind), and very very carefull collective UP. It is extremely sensitive to sideslip/crosswind. Use that silly string to align into wind before coming to hover landing. For forward flight cyclic is almost center. Very different from UH-1H and KA-50, where there is considerable fwd cyclic for forward flight.

I guess you also have learned from Instant Action, that tactically GZL needs to be flown 20 meters radAlt, or less. Bit of a surprise to me.

It will be a while before I have hang of GZL.

FWIW if you can afford it get the Mi-8 as well. :thumbup:

Pedals are different because the rotor spins in the opposite direction.

Cyclic is a lot more responsive in Gazelle compared to the other helicopters I have a 25cm extension and that seems about right for me with no curves etc.

Something to keep in mind depending on what you use for cyclic control is the centering mechanism can be a hassle for fine control of the Gazelle.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

MI-8 module is not a question of affordability. I have no motivation to learn that module. Its a large slow, creaky helicopter, that is a truck. I have no interest in being a truck driver. maybe if it is an interesting big truck. CH-53, MI-26, H-60/S-70 family, MI-24/35 family, Merlin, CH-146, NH-90. V-22 would be a buy for me, it it is aerodynamically accurate. When it comes to helicopters I like small. OH-58, OH-6, MI-2, Lynx/SeaLynx, KA-27/28/31, Augusta 412, UH-72/EC-145.

I don't like the how the co-pilot/WSO is looking at me. He has this WTF! R U DOIN! look. Especcially when I try to land. Not sure if this is a bug or feature, but its creepy.

Nah, I get it all the time, he is probably thinking about all the virtual paperwork he has gotta do one more time. :D

Mi-8 's not a bad ride and surprisingly agile given it's weight ,. :thumbup:

Mind you I would also like some of those helis in your list, waiting. :music_whistling:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

That poor man has seen a lot of crashes hahaha

Indeed he has witnessed my flying. :D

Its a large slow, creaky helicopter, that is a truck

You must be talking about the Huey, since the Hip is much faster and a very agile chopper for its size too. It's clearly the better of the two IMO.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

You must be talking about the Huey, since the Hip is much faster and a very agile chopper for its size too. It's clearly the better of the two IMO.

Good points and yes the Hip is surprisingly agile. :thumbup:

You can't expect UH-1H or Gazzele, after loading full fuel, guns, rockets and expect them to fly like an empty Loach.

For combat take no more then 60% fuel, and sacrifice some fire power for weight reduction.

For Gazelle no more then 60% fuel. Main tank is full when fuel load 80%-ish. 50% is enough for FLOT work. Anything more then 80% is fuel in spare tank, akin to ext tank for fixed wings.

Same for UH-1H take 1 minigun mount for co-pilot, 1 M60 gunner, 7 rocket pod (WP),and 45% fuel. This retains a good measure maneuverability ih Huey.

MI-8 with gunpods, rocket pods, etc.. is a pregnant mad cow. Why mad cow, cause, in RL, the crew would be insane to take MI-8 into combat thus loaded. Hip is a truck. It is a Lada of helicopters, IMHO.

You can't expect UH-1H or Gazzele, after loading full fuel, guns, rockets and expect them to fly like an empty Loach.

For combat take no more then 60% fuel, and sacrifice some fire power for weight reduction.

For Gazelle no more then 60% fuel. Main tank is full when fuel load 80%-ish. 50% is enough for FLOT work. Anything more then 80% is fuel in spare tank, akin to ext tank for fixed wings.

Same for UH-1H take 1 minigun mount for co-pilot, 1 M60 gunner, 7 rocket pod (WP),and 45% fuel. This retains a good measure maneuverability ih Huey.

MI-8 with gunpods, rocket pods, etc.. is a pregnant mad cow. Why mad cow, cause, in RL, the crew would be insane to take MI-8 into combat thus loaded. Hip is a truck. It is a Lada of helicopters, IMHO.

There have been a number of Huey sim pilots that have come to grief trying to keep up with me flying low and fast. not bad for a truck. :D

its funny how people perceive an old transport copter as slow and useless, in fact its probably the fastest in game (can remember if the 50 is quicker?) also carries an insane amount of ordinance and troops, when you fly her right its very nimble as well.

DmitriKozlowsky, is right about fuel though, no need to top off the tanks in any of them

It is a Lada of helicopters, IMHO.

Yeah, in your opinion. Goes to show that knowledge indeed beats an opinion every single time, since you clearly don't know anything about the chopper itself.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I do not consider MI-8 as useless. It is in fact an excellent transport helicopter. I just have little to no interest in it.

No but no one else said that either, so if you don't fly it, why bag it then? :)