Controllable SAM: Radars

Ignition

Your first point is valid but let's turn the other point around. What's the use of insta-locking SAM site at max range?

A search radar will only give bearing to an aircraft, a rotating search radar of simple design, like the older SAM sites, cannot give you altitude (elevation) information because physics don't allow for it.

To get elevation, and with that, a 3D point in space where the target is, a separate radar is used which slews around the bearing to the target looking for a radar return at a certain elevation. Once that is complete, the target solution can be obtained (speed, direction, attitude, climbing or descending). After that comes the missile firing solution and you can send it on its way to intercept the target (which, by now, you still haven't identified as friend or foe). All of this takes time. Only very modern radars, coupled with each other over a data-link network may be able to ascertain bearing, range and altitude in one go but even than, the computers need some time to come up with a solution or fire a missile and send mid-course guidance updates.

All in all, 7 seconds in quick, the SA-8 needs 30 seconds whereas the TOR needs only 3 I believe.

Needing to obtain visual contact before launch is detrimental to having the radar in the first place, it doesn't give you a benefit. In fact, with the HARM released, SAM sites are now at a disadvantage because the HARM can be shot from outside visual range whereas, even if the SAM system has that capability, they're not allowed to lock on to a radar contact but need visual contact first to be able to fire. Mind you though, the SA-15 and perhaps other systems are capable of launching at missiles, giving you some degree of point defense.

Edited by Looney

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

I was using a SA-15, I had to point directly to the agm-88 with the crosshair presing enter enter enter enter... and when I got lucky I needed to wait another 7 seconds to launch the missile.

So, I could fire at 2nm to a missile coming at 500knots.

Its useless.

(Using the ctrl+f10 its not necessary to point directly with the crosshair)

Edited by Ignition

The time delay is supposed to represent the intricacies of the system going from detection to firing. It's not that the radar itself needs that long.

Being able to convert from PPI detection radar to the engagement radar in some other way than hunting for the target in the sky visually would be a drastic improvement though. Depending on the age of the system it's not automatic though.

I imagine if they locked the carrier, they could see the video separation for the HARM. Otherwise they'd be in a bit of a tough spot for attacking it, though not impossible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

A ship has a certain situational awareness and threat index to which it responds in kind. In my navy days we used to have ZIPPO calls where, upon detection of a threat (such as a Cyranose Super Etendard RADAR emission, corrolated with an Exocet missile), certain actions within the CIC would be taken as a Pavlov reaction.

The same we did for ARM in general although some actions are different depending on the expected threat.

A battlegroup, SAG or carrier battle group will rely heavily on radar pickets, AWACS / AEW and data-link to build up the threat picture. It makes no sense for every ship to shine its gadget all the time, it's basically the akin to holding up a big billboard with HERE I AM, SHOOT ME!!.

I'm going to try and build zuch a ZIPPO script specifically for ships to see if it makes sense as a HARM threat mitigation thingy :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo