Are there any plans to allow DCS to use multiple cores? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
Zeagle

My 8 core machine appears to be lightly but evenly loaded. And the video card is probably doing most if not all of the simulation math. I am sure it's very complicated and not as simple as one would assume.

Last edited by Zeagle; 06-09-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Zeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
Worrazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherbattx View Post
they already use 3 or 4, but there is nothing preventing them from using more.

the trick is finding tasks that can be offloaded without adding latency and locking.

it’s not easy and most sims don’t do it, either.
There are major ones that could be separated. Mission management (triggers, ATC, F10 view and icons) and AI, can't think of more right now but I'm sure there's some misc stuff.

That would take some 20% off the main thread, IMO.

I doubt AI is deeply integraded into physics simulation, even if it is, for some reason, it can be spunned off, those two things shouldn't need to rely on each-other.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 06-09-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
SirJ

After the 2.5.5 update I have maxed out CPU load from DCS >>90%

CPU 6C/6T 9600K...
At least at Caucasus map - PG still is at 30% CPU
SirJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
TwojaStara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiSev View Post
Are there any plans to allow DCS to use more than 2 cores?
Yes, potentially DCS engine based Vulkan API that is being worked out in background (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...6&postcount=11) might add multi-core capability.
TwojaStara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
Bobik2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwojaStara View Post
Yes, potentially DCS engine based Vulkan API that is being worked out in background (https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...6&postcount=11) might add multi-core capability.
But when, it can be next month or next year.

Odesláno z mého Mi A1 pomocí Tapatalk

Modules: Mig-29 | SU-27 | KA-50 | L-39 | Mirage-2000 | F-15 | F/A-18C | Harrier

Last edited by Bobik2002; 06-09-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Bobik2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
etherbattx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrazen View Post
There are major ones that could be separated. Mission management (triggers, ATC, F10 view and icons) and AI, can't think of more right now but I'm sure there's some misc stuff.
i get what you’re saying,but that doesn’t explain why consumer multi core cpus have been around for 10+ years and almost no (none?) sims break down the workloads like you and others have suggested.

there must be more to it than that
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #17
tintifaxl

Quote:
i get what you’re saying,but that doesn’t explain why consumer multi core cpus have been around for 10+ years and almost no (none?) sims break down the workloads like you and others have suggested.

there must be more to it than that
To design and implement a good multithreaded sim engine is more expensive than a single threaded one. And most sim engines started when multi core was not a big thing, so it was not economically sound to do multithreading from the start. Sadly it's not easy to multithread the old engine - if it was ED would have done it long ago.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #18
etherbattx

Default Are there any plans to allow DCS to use multiple cores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
it's not easy to multithread the old engine - if it was ED would have done it long ago.
oh, i totally agree.

but it’s also difficult for sims on new engines to leverage multi-cores.

do any of the new sims created in the last 10 years take advantage of and use multiple cores well?
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
jopasaps

Quote:
oh, i totally agree.

but it’s also difficult for sims on new engines to leverage multi-cores.

do any of the new sims created in the last 10 years take advantage of and use multiple cores well?
Yes, i fly with prepar3d v4 and my ryzen uses all the cores.

Vista, Suerte y al TORO !!
Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
Worrazen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fri13 View Post
Only two cores.
1-core for audio
1-core for everything else

It is possible. But not to do as simultaneously for same task because the "Dining philosophers problem".

What they could do, is to move specific elements from the game to specific cores, so they are not swapped.

Player aircraft flight modeling and functions to core #1
AI aircrafts flight modeling and damage modeling to core #2
BLUFOR ground forces AI to core #3
REDFOR ground forces AI to core #4

If there is more cores available, split them up to them. Like example the all the missiles trajectories, flight modeling to one core. All the shells from ground units to one core.

Every core is dedicated for specific task, no swapping, no waiting.

If there is no missiles in air, that core responsible for that will just sleep.
If there is no AI flying, that core is sleep.

Like what does it matter to my aircraft when I am flying, how does the ground units AI think? If that AI starts to hang out or consume more processing time, I don't want it anywhere near my aircraft performance!

Now if you are flying in multiplayer etc, then you can start to split own aircraft functions to multiple cores. Flight modeling for one core. Electricity, all fluids etc to one core.

The most demanding is the player own aircraft simulation and then graphics. Split those. Don't share and swap processing.
Actually .. I went back to my old threads now https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201530&page=9 and I think I remember now there was one thing which could have put a question mark on the whole thing, because one thing, I did mostly barebone scans/tests where nothing was happening in the game, I don't know why I didn't figure out at the time to actually test multi-threading you need to put the whole thing under stress so all parts of the engine are working something for those minor threads to even show up on the scans.

It's time for another go, and I want to compare 2.5.4 vs 2.5.5 anyway so I'm redoing the whole WPA stuff right now while I'm still on 2.5.4, I already got the latest Win10 ADK version installed (which includes WPT (which includes WPR/WPA ..etc)), this time I'm getting more educated about WPA, which is the analyzer you see with all the graphs and that's where the meat of it is, actually knowing how to first use it correctly to display the correct data in a correct way that for this type of case and then to interpret that correctly, to make sure whatever I post is going to be more accurate. Not saying that stuff didn't hold true, but I think there could have been DCS improvements since then.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 06-09-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote