S3 Refuel

Cunning_Fox

OP, couple of things i've noticed in this thread.

-i did see from your video that you were pretty far inboard on that KC135, like you were lining up on his #3 or 4 engine instead of the wingpod. asking for jet wash. alt was good, but lineup looked way off.

- you do get much less visual feedback on the S3 as the canopy bow blocks it largely, even in VR. this makes it more important than ever to line up on the pod

and nothing else (and slightly left due to the robe offset)

-wiggle fingers and toes and constantly be making the tiniest movements but constantly. like a boxer doing footwork. loosen it up, but not wide PIOs, just a constant stir on the stick and the throttle. you will never be 100% on speed and 100% straight and level, so if you stop either hand from slightly moving, you are setting a pattern into the wrong direction no matter how trimmed you are.

-you've shut Jester up, good work. his crap does not help.

-vamps was trying to help on the groundspeed vs airspeed. reread the thread in order, and it makes perfect sense and he didnt state any opposites. you came off as very hostile and dense, blaming everything and accepting no help. if you set 250 groundspeed, that s3 is nowhere near speed. it's crawling at stall speed for you. ramp up that ground speed to get 250 kias. if its working, when you lock him up and you are at 250, closure should be 0.

-i almost spit out my coffee hearing that it was thought you should be refueling at stall speed. even landing isn't done at stall speed, and you are trying to hit the ground! no wonder you're getting crazy PIOs and being blown around. a stiff breeze would do it, nevermind a tanker wake.

-for me, i crack the brake juuuuust a bit. this seems to help with the overshoots, so when i bring the throttle back i lose speed more appropriately.

-getting in is easy, staying in can be difficult. doesnt seem to follow the physics of those hose...seems to be an invisible box that if out of, you're out

Well, after making the F-14 finally not crash the game, I’ve tried refuelling again.

Needless to say, the quick missions made by heatblur are atrocious as they have put like 50 planes around you for “refuelling practice”. Thanks for making an already difficult task absolutely infuriatingly difficult for no reason at all!

I have concluded that it is impossible to refuel on Tomcat. I have flown sims since the early 90s and was in the top of the DCS servers for either ground attack or dogfight, but air refuelling is impossible. Curves or not, whatever the refuelling plane it’s just impossible to catch anything because for some reason F-14 just goes crazy whenever it’s close to the refuelling cone. It goes up, down, left or right, whether it is in a jets ash or not.

Autopilot doesn’t help, trim doesn’t help. Nothing works, except fluke. To even think that this is a routine task is incredible. Yeah, maybe once in 1,000 tries in 20+ hours and 1,000,000 gallons of fuel later. Otherwise, I am sure the real life refuelling is much easier, or they wouldn’t do it. As it stands now it’s impossible in DCS. Unless you trim the F-14 200 miles away and use microscopic adjustments on the throttle.

The plane either reacts violently to your inputs, however minuscule, or does not react at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes I agree it seems that way