S3 Refuel - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #61
Bruce_D

Could you guys be kind and share your curves. I think I need a little bit more of adjustment.

Tks
Bruce_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #62
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_D View Post
Could you guys be kind and share your curves. I think I need a little bit more of adjustment.

Tks
I think I've got the throttes at negative 14.
nicka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #63
Bruce_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka117 View Post
I don’t know how to thank you enough!!! I was using first 25, then 19, then 15, but the -14 is perfect for the X52 Pro!!! Thank you!!!

I wasn’t having problems with refueling, but now is 10 times easier than before.
Bruce_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 PM   #64
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_D View Post
I don’t know how to thank you enough!!! I was using first 25, then 19, then 15, but the -14 is perfect for the X52 Pro!!! Thank you!!!

I wasn’t having problems with refueling, but now is 10 times easier than before.
Roger that, glad it helped.

If you want to fine tune it further to your personal liking, go up to a few thousand feet and about 300 knots, and then move the throttle back and forth while you watch your fuel flow tape. You want smooth proportional movement of the tape matched to the throttle movement. Any big quick spikes in fuel flow is not good.

Last edited by nicka117; 04-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.
nicka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #65
Cunning_Fox+
Posting Rights Suspended

Default S3 Refuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Don't bother trying to talk logic with this guy..I tried, look where that got me lol

Also, are people actually using a throttle not set to slider...with deadzones? WTF parallel universe is this lol

You don’t have the simplest concept of logic, which you’ve proven by making one statement and then immediately going back on it, and your reading comprehension is toddler-tier since you couldn’t even grasp the meaning of the topic I’ve stared and made a mission with a different aircraft.

Please go away.

—-

To the rest: thanks for the input, the problem is DCS crashes now despite the fact that Jester is silenced. Curves or no curves it’s hard to practice refuelling when you have 50% chance of crashing to desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cunning_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #66
Cunning_Fox+
Posting Rights Suspended

Default S3 Refuel

Well, after making the F-14 finally not crash the game, I’ve tried refuelling again.

Needless to say, the quick missions made by heatblur are atrocious as they have put like 50 planes around you for “refuelling practice”. Thanks for making an already difficult task absolutely infuriatingly difficult for no reason at all!

I have concluded that it is impossible to refuel on Tomcat. I have flown sims since the early 90s and was in the top of the DCS servers for either ground attack or dogfight, but air refuelling is impossible. Curves or not, whatever the refuelling plane it’s just impossible to catch anything because for some reason F-14 just goes crazy whenever it’s close to the refuelling cone. It goes up, down, left or right, whether it is in a jets ash or not.

Autopilot doesn’t help, trim doesn’t help. Nothing works, except fluke. To even think that this is a routine task is incredible. Yeah, maybe once in 1,000 tries in 20+ hours and 1,000,000 gallons of fuel later. Otherwise, I am sure the real life refuelling is much easier, or they wouldn’t do it. As it stands now it’s impossible in DCS. Unless you trim the F-14 200 miles away and use microscopic adjustments on the throttle.

The plane either reacts violently to your inputs, however minuscule, or does not react at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cunning_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #67
stuart666

I have never, ever refueled middair in any sim before. I tried on the DID sims. I tried on the early Flanker Games. I tried on the AV8B. Nothing worked. And I tried it on the F14, and yes, its difficult, and yes ive put off doing it again in case I lost the knack. But I did it, and I think, personally, the F14, is one of the easier ones to do, largely because the fuel probe is so near to your line of vision. If you think this is difficult, do it in the AV8 where its above you to the left out of your vision line.

Get stabilized first. Get the probe out, get the wings to bomb, get the speed right, and trim, trim, trim. And then, and ONLY then when you have it trimmed up, go for it.

I could give you plenty more tips, but the best thing to do is not look at the hose, just look at the hose receiver and keep that in position, just off of centre on the right of the upper canopy frame. And when you connect run in a bit closer to the tanker, then pull off a tiny bit of power. Ive not had the joy of figures of 8's, but im willing to bet if you concentrate on his wing and the probe receiver, and put a bit of power in, it will go fine.

Dont be despondent, and dont give up. Just keep trying. It will click eventually. It took me ages by contrast to the Herc to engage with the Viking, but that came eventually too. Just concentrate on the receiver.

BTW, I have no curves on my setup. The lesson im taking from all this is, if someone manifestly unsuited for in flight refueling as myself can do it, anyone can, given enough practice.
stuart666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #68
sLYFa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
I have concluded that it is impossible to refuel on Tomcat. I have flown sims since the early 90s and was in the top of the DCS servers for either ground attack or dogfight, but air refuelling is impossible.
I can assure you that it IS very well possible to air refuel the F-14 over a broad range of alitutde airspeed. No more difficult than the A-10 or F-15 (a little easier IMHO due to the probe/drogue system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
Autopilot doesn’t help, trim doesn’t help. Nothing works, except fluke. To even think that this is a routine task is incredible. Yeah, maybe once in 1,000 tries in 20+ hours and 1,000,000 gallons of fuel later. Otherwise, I am sure the real life refuelling is much easier, or they wouldn’t do it. As it stands now it’s impossible in DCS. Unless you trim the F-14 200 miles away and use microscopic adjustments on the throttle.
I have no problems whatsoever to smoothly plug in the the probe into the basket and keep it there for as long as I need. This did take some training, but nowhere near 20h. AAR takes a lot of patience and smooth, tiny control inputs. What you are describing is the result of abrupt stick input, resulting in a self induced oscilation.
I understand your frustration but calling the F-14 'impossible to refuel' is simply not true.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #69
draconus

Phew, what a day in Tomcat forums. One guy says it's impossible to dogfight without padlock, now the other says it's impossible to AAR. Seems like it can eventually be done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUwI2zONVs
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #70
Chelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka117 View Post
Hello,

Does anybody here know which curvature would be good for a Warthog throttle? I am having issues with the closing airspeed ...

Thanks,