S3 Refuel - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #51
Bruce_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
And as for throttle I move it like 3 mm. I mean, seriously small movements. I've vertically landed a Harrier on a Carrier deck moving at 20 knots at night in storm, but this is even harder. My throttle is between 0 and 20%. Anything above that seems to make F-14 overtake the S3.

I use to have the exactly same problem, and then I adjusted the curve of my X52 Pro to 25 and put a Dead Zone of 4. Now I can easily refuel on the S3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunning_Fox View Post
My curves are undajusted. Since they were unadjusted in real F-14, I am thinking why should I adjust them? And besides, if I adjust them for refuelling, they are going to be unresponsive in a dogfight. I have tried adjusting curves before up to +15 for roll and pitch and maybe -5 or +17 on pedals (depending on the airframe), but in the end I've settled on a +5 dead zone on all axes.
I know that the real F-14 does not have this curve, but my throttle is not the same as the F-14, that’s why I have to adjust. With this adjustment I didn’t have problems during dogfight.

Please, don’t take me wrong, but maybe if you increase the curve you will have better results. This is my humble opinion and maybe I’m wrong.

Good Luck in your flights and I hope that I could help.
Bruce_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #52
nicka117

Thinking a toy hotas with no curves is more realistic is not correct.
nicka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #53
lunaticfringe

Quote:
Since they were unadjusted in real F-14, I am thinking why should I adjust them?
Because a Tomcat pilot had 100% throttle resolution spread over (if memory serves) eight inches of travel, while you barely have three. Similarly, you have an inch and a half of stick movement in each direction, whereas the pilot had four.

Arguing that you shouldn't need to apply curvature for your controls, when an actual pilot used less than your total physical throw on both the stick and throttle for tanking applications, while it accounted for less than a quarter of the applied output from said controls, is rather amusing.

In essence, you're arguing that because his inputs were within half an inch of center, you should be able to do so within less than one eighth. Good luck with that.
lunaticfringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #54
nicka117

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryiJP3H7OY

This is an F-18 but you can see how much he moves the throttle in the groove. The f-14 is going to be somewhat similar. If 3 mil of movement on the toy throttle spikes the fuel flow, it won't work at all. You need curves for it to be more realistic.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #55
Bruce_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka117 View Post
Yep, forgot to mention, set throttles as slider.
I've never tried this set. Does it improve precision?

Tks, I'll try it
Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #56
nicka117

Setting as slider allows you to use the curves correctly.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #57
Bruce_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka117 View Post
Setting as slider allows you to use the curves correctly.
Do you input dead zones for the throttle?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #58
TacoGrease

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
Set throttles up as Slider axes with User Curves. Negative and positive curvature collapse or expand both ends, when what you need is to expand the center- thereby increasing resolution, and therefore control, and minimize the loss of throw on the bottom end. Linear axis settings easily lose 25% of usable range just past idle given the "flat" power curve of turbines in that region.

Get rid of the symmetry and increase the usable range. Stuck hand syndrome and power over/undershoots go away.
Would you mind posting a screenshot of your throttle curves?
2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs
Soon: VPC MongoosT-50CM base - TM F/A-18C grip

- Maps: Caucasus (duh), NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy
- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]
Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D
TacoGrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #59
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
Because a Tomcat pilot had 100% throttle resolution spread over (if memory serves) eight inches of travel, while you barely have three. Similarly, you have an inch and a half of stick movement in each direction, whereas the pilot had four.

Arguing that you shouldn't need to apply curvature for your controls, when an actual pilot used less than your total physical throw on both the stick and throttle for tanking applications, while it accounted for less than a quarter of the applied output from said controls, is rather amusing.

In essence, you're arguing that because his inputs were within half an inch of center, you should be able to do so within less than one eighth. Good luck with that.

Don't bother trying to talk logic with this guy..I tried, look where that got me lol

Also, are people actually using a throttle not set to slider...with deadzones? WTF parallel universe is this lol

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #60
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_D View Post
Do you input dead zones for the throttle?
No sir.

I've gone slider, and the set negative curves to make the fuel flow rate proportional to throttle travel in the 3500 lbs to 6500 lbs range, which is where you are for landing and tanking. It just makes it so I have to go a little more past the warthog detent to get into burner, but who cares.