Blinking Gunsight - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
bonesvf103

Default Blinking Gunsight

OK, I'm trying to understand the gunsight in the Tomcat. When I don't have a lock the pipper shows me where the rounds will hit at I dunno 100 ft and the diamond shows where they hit at 2000 ft or so. If I have a lock, then the pipper shows me where the rounds will hit when I pull the trigger and the diamond just designates the target--so with a lock I want the pipper on the target when I pull the trigger.

BUT...what about when I have a lock, then at some point, the whole HUD blinks. My pipper seems to disappear when that happens and so when should I shoot? I don't get what the manual is saying, can someone explain it better to me?

v6,
boNes
Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Gibo

Look at the manual page 313 it says:

In addition to computing the solution to put bullets at the targets location the RTGS sight will also calculate where
the bullets actually are in relation to the target when at target range. When the bullets fired are computed to be at the
target’s location the diamond switches from target indication to indicating bullet position at target range (BATR). This
is also indicated by the diamond flashing.
Using this symbology it’s possible to see where the target would have needed to be to be hit by the bullets. If the
gun engagement was executed successfully this means that the diamond should still be on top of the target, blinking,
indicating that the bullets passed through the target’s location.
Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
bonesvf103

Yes, I read that over and over and it's just not making sense so I was hoping someone could explain it in more plain English.

For instance, what is "in relation to the target when at range?" What does that even mean? At the current range to the target in that instant? When the diamond flashes, do I need to maneuver it onto the target instead of the pipper?

The explanation is confusing to me.

Thanks.

v6,
boNes
Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
VampireNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesvf103 View Post
Yes, I read that over and over and it's just not making sense so I was hoping someone could explain it in more plain English.

For instance, what is "in relation to the target when at range?" What does that even mean? At the current range to the target in that instant? When the diamond flashes, do I need to maneuver it onto the target instead of the pipper?
'If the gun engagement was executed successfully this means that the diamond should still be on top of the target, blinking, indicating that the bullets passed through the target’s location

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
bonesvf103

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
'If the gun engagement was executed successfully this means that the diamond should still be on top of the target, blinking, indicating that the bullets passed through the target’s location

Yes, yet there are times when I fire when the pipper is on the target, nothing is blinking, and I hit it successfully. So what is the purpose of the blinking one then?

v6,
boNes
Old 06-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
r4y30n

The blinking diamond is a way of telling you how far off your aim was.
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 AM   #7
bonesvf103

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4y30n View Post
The blinking diamond is a way of telling you how far off your aim was.

Interesting...do explain.

v6,
boNes
Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #8
mwlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post

Hmmmm, this seems explain the blinking with several head-on occasion with Mig-28s

Been wondering wtf is that for some while.
mwlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
draconus

Quote:
the whole HUD blinks
"the whole HUD blinks"? Definitely not right.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #10
r4y30n

Quote:
Interesting...do explain.

v6,
boNes
The pipper is always acting as a real time gun sight, it's telling you where your rounds will land at the target's current range (assuming you have radar lock) if you pull the trigger now. The blinking diamond tells you where those rounds actually went at the target's current range. The difference between the solid diamond and blinking diamond is how far off your aim was for that shot.

In pistol/rifle terms, the solid diamond on target is your bullseye, the blinking diamond is the hole in the paper. You still aim using your sights, not the hole.
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote