HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 159 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #1581
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
@Harlikwin - less boost more clarity...Reverb and Index are both on the way...

What can I say? I'm spoiled
I'm just confused by what you're saying... Are you talking about the VR improvement?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #1582
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
11:30 into the review I posted before they talk about the screen physical size
it may be in the review for the vive index where they talk about it again
Got it. They never really say by how much though. Is the difference in a 1.3 vs 1.4 or 1.5" panel huge? Probably not. And thats something you engineer around anyway. They also said it wasn't an issue at all for one guy, and a minimal problem for the other guy.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #1583
HORRISMORRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secoda View Post
I just got the Reverb two hours ago and setup was basically plugging it in and making one adjustment on the video resolution from my Lenovo Explorer in SteamVR. The clarity and performance on my setup is very good with the way I have the settings. I can read everything inside the cockpit now but also can spot planes a lot better at a distance which I was just testing. The SDE is basically gone although if you really concentrate you can barely make out the very tiny pixels. My sweet spot also took a big jump but my IPD is 64 mm but I am actually using glasses which are working fine. I am very slightly near-sighted with the minimum prescription and am very close to not needing glasses at all. I also thought the audio is very good.

The only complaint I have at the moment is the heavy cable. I routed it around the back over a home theater recliner seat I use and then I forgot about it. A few zip ties might help too. I can't see any mura - even looking at a white screen.

I am curious on folks are handling that cable. The cable seems longer than my Lenovo Explorer.

Anyone using a Reverb with an RTX2070? Would like to avoid another £1,100 for a 2080TI.

Thanks

Ed
HORRISMORRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #1584
Nagilem

@harlikwin - so what I am doing now is validating my configuration with what I have since the Reverb will just likely be more of the same, just at a higher res. I figure if the WMR, SteamVR, and DCS settings give me a good experience before the Reverb arrives, I'll be in a better position to see the difference the native HMD resolution makes.

This is also a learning journey for me in terms of getting good VR clarity with other apps. Since I decided to get an index, I am likely going to expand my VR experience beyond DCS. I've played Elite Dangerous and would like to try Onward, and a few other titles. I think I can say DCS is likely one of the most demanding titles for VR.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #1585
Secoda

I would shift the SS to SteamVR as many of us are doing with the PD at 1.0 in DCS and see how it goes before I would buy a new card with a 2070. I suspect it will do ok. Especially if OC'd.

XPlane is real demanding in VR one of the reviewer/testers said. Even more so than DCS.

I tried using the SteamVR beta motion setting (uncommented it) and see a bit less judder when looking sideways close to the ground. The DCS FPS display is stuck on 45 FPS. I think the jury is still out about how much of an improvement it really is for my setup/config. since it is in that 58-60 FPS (without the motion setting) at the moment with the Reverb when near terrain. Still doing minor tweaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORRISMORRIS View Post
Anyone using a Reverb with an RTX2070? Would like to avoid another £1,100 for a 2080TI.

Thanks

Ed
I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Last edited by Secoda; 06-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Secoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #1586
mac22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
Just like with the native resolution, WMR is also fairly confusing when it comes to the forms of reprojection it uses. Here's my findings (I'll do a copy/paste rather than offsite link, as I think that is politer here and I've already type it ) :

"If a game can reach around 55 to 60 fps the WMR with the default.vrsettings set to ‘auto’ will use something called ‘motion temporal reprojection’, which is the Microsoft clone of ‘Async Space Warp’ (ASW) on the Oculus side. It looks ahead/behind frames with GPU geometry to work out an in-between frame that’s pretty convincing. This allows the trees to appear smooth at 90 Hz in the headset, but DCS needs to reach about 60 fps.

If a game only reaches about 45 fps or less then WMR falls back to ‘asynchronous rotional reprojection’, which is what the old ‘Async Time Warp’ (ATW) used to be on Oculus, i.e. ok for moving your head around, but bad at predicting things moving outside the cockpit. When you see the cockpit moving ok but the trees to the side ‘jumping’ in WMR then it’s using reprojection but falling back to what it can do.

I didn’t realize before why it falls back to the older algorithm like that, but does explain what people see.

It’s also why DCS will just stick at 45 fps even if motion reprojection is not set to ‘auto’ in that config file or everything is left as defaults - it’s because it defaults to the old ‘asynch rotational reprojection’ by default unless the ASW equivalent is enabled or the app is reaching 90 fps.

It will be interesting if the DCS VR optimizations allow more people to get to 60 fps with more settings maxed out. In my experiments with the WMR reprojection, the ‘motion temporal reprojection’ is very good, i.e. very smooth sideways trees.

REF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-steamvr-apps 2

Oh, plus should say. You can turn things on and off in the SteamVR settings stuff for the Valve ‘motion reprojection’ and all those things, then it’ll be completely ignored by the WMR headset. If you see any difference using those settings then it must be a placebo, as the reprojection steps only happen on the Microsoft driver side using its own rules/steps mentioned above I believe.

I think the resolution / super sampling percentage value is probably the only setting from SteamVR that is read, everything else is probably on the Windows WMR side of things.

It seems the best ‘tuning’ algorithm for WMR and using reprojection in DCS would be:

Go to the default.vsettings file and comment out (using //) the motion line, i.e. turn it OFF.

Test DCS with your settings. Adjust them so you get to 55 to 60 fps with the resolution / super sampling you want.

Go back to default.vrsettings and uncomment the line (remove the //) so it says “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”, in there.

That way you’ll get smooth tree sideways and reprojection working properly. The things I didn’t realize before were:

WMR always has some form of motion reprojection on, it’s just the simpler ‘rotational’ type (where looking sideways causes judders for example) if it can’t make some headroom over 45 fps (it seems typically you need 55 to 60 fps to be safe).

The fancy ‘motion vector’ reprojection is very good, but needs to be turned on in that file. Once on then you’re only ever going to see either 45 or 90 in the fps read-out. Turning it off is useful to adjust detail settings.

WMR is like archaeology on how it works underneath. I half expect to find a stick of a certain length that’s going to refract the sun’s rays over a temple map through a jewel, so we can find out how to do nicer anti aliasing one day… "
fearless just to agree with your earlier post - basically if you can get the game to 60fps (which from your post enables the windows version of ASW?) its a complete game changer - was testing with asseto corsa (will test with DCS later) and managed to get it locked to 60 and its amazingly smooth with absolutely no judder...…………….

Update: Tried with DCS and with the FW190 over Europe managed to get it locked to 60fps and was amazingly smooth with absolutely no judder - but with the f14 I was struggling between 30-40 fps and it never hit 60 and got some judder...……
weird thing is (and maybe you can explain it to me) in the WMR portal I set it to 90hz but I noticed in the steamVR options the headset was showing as 60hz before I had even tried to play asseto or DCS! - never had this before and surely it should be showing as 90hz?!(did notice my steam VR updating in steam before I used it)……..

Last edited by mac22; 06-12-2019 at 10:02 PM.
mac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #1587
Eaglewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
I think I can say DCS is likely one of the most demanding titles for VR.
I very much concur here. In other game titles I play in VR ( Euro Truck simulator and others), I average around 80fps. Not close to half of this in dcs

I guess these are some the things being addressed in the VR optimization from ED.
Eaglewings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #1588
Secoda

With “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”, in default.vrsettings enabled I do see a constant 45 FPS displayed (never 90 FPS even when all sky). The terrain is smoother near the ground looking sideways with it on. I am leaving it on for now. I guess with the added virtual frames the actual FPS you see is something approaching double that? To tweak more then I need to turn it back off to see the effect before re-enabling it.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Last edited by Secoda; 06-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #1589
Secoda

The WMR cliff house functions and Windows desktop are really useful now with the clarity of the Reverb.

I was surprised how good Buzz Aldrin Cycling Pathways to Mars in 3D (free on Steam) was with the HP Reverb. Definitely worth the 20 minutes or less to watch. There are quite a few well rated free 3D VR movies on Steam. The Reverb is a game changer for VR IMO.

steam://rungameid/608000

Last edited by Secoda; 06-13-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:56 AM   #1590
Alec Delorean

@Nagilem

you mixed threads and answered here, hehe. The new name for the CPU affinity option is - disable Hyperthreading. It prevents the .exe from using every 2nd core (the virtual ones). Would be helpful for others if you can post your findings in the original thread.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote