HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 153 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #1521
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Problem is that I can only see that dot in peripheral vision. If I look top left, it disappears!
I tried today's Win10 update on 1903 but it still breaks the resolution, at least for sure on the Odyssey Plus. I guess we just have to wait.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:47 PM   #1522
FoxTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
On a 2080, i9 at 5.1 GHz in DCS to run ok and still look good I use MSAA off, Shadows/Terrain Object Shadows: Flat with an O+ at DCS PD 1.0 and Steam SS at 212%.

Everything else you can have as high (well. perhaps not Visib Range) as you like, but has less impact than the using MSAA and the shadows.

I think a lot of people would like a scalable MSAA solution, as it's not ideal yet. Hopefully the VR patch (tomorrow?) will help out some more.

In my experience, terrain shadows, even flat, are the biggest performance hit in the game. I've disabled them entirely. Cockpit shadows don't seem to have a huge impact, so setting those to medium or high should be fine.

The second biggest hit is MSAA but I can't really stand having it off personally.
FoxTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #1523
sze5003

Quote:
On a 2080, i9 at 5.1 GHz in DCS to run ok and still look good I use MSAA off, Shadows/Terrain Object Shadows: Flat with an O+ at DCS PD 1.0 and Steam SS at 212%.

Everything else you can have as high (well. perhaps not Visib Range) as you like, but has less impact than the using MSAA and the shadows.

I think a lot of people would like a scalable MSAA solution, as it's not ideal yet. Hopefully the VR patch (tomorrow?) will help out some more.
This seems useful, thanks. I haven't touched my settings since the original Odyssey but when I get the Reverb I'll have to try this out.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #1524
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxTwo View Post

The second biggest hit is MSAA but I can't really stand having it off personally.
The MSAA is tough to have off I gree, but it's a real balance between the high resolutions we're needing for VR clarity in the cockpit versus the deferred rendering engine that DCS uses. Deferred rendering gives you good dynamic lighting as it doesn't matter how many objects you have, just your light sources. Forward rendering (which most games use) on the other hand gives you aliasing pretty much for free.

MSAA on deferred is a O(n^{2}) quadratic problem, meaning it kills pretty much every card we have on DCS with each resolution step up we do in VR. x2 and maybe x4 are possible, but reaching that magic 60 fps or so is getting hard.

Something like an edge aliasing or FXAA on DCS would be great, especially for VR, but I've not heard anything about that. It's either that or multiple GPU support (perhaps under Vulcan one day), and that's where I run out of money..
Old 06-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #1525
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Tempted to rollback to 1809 for science?

(I don't blame if you don't want to, but just curious if this impacts the Reverb like the O+. If you sell or return it without actually seeing the native resolution then it might be a shame. Or could be that it makes no difference.)
I have an Acronis backup of the older windows version. So when I get my Reverb, I'm going to to back and see if there will be any differences.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14 AM   #1526
Nagilem

@FearlessFrog - FXAA is possible through the NVidia control panel. I left it off with the o+ because the Anti SDE caused fuzzy distance to begin with. It may work better with the Reverb.
I already turn on MFAA in the Nvidia CP.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #1527
Secoda

I have SteamVR at 188% and PD at 1.0. There is too big of a performance hit above a PD of 1.0. You can chart CPU/GPU usage and see a huge efficiency boost using SteamVR SS vs PD. I see about 58-60 FPS next to terrain and 90 towards the sky in SP.

IMO the Reverb is a game changer for DCS. I was just doing Case III carrier landings (night) in the F-18 and the difference between My Lenovo (1440 x 1440) and the Reverb is stunning. It's a lot more fun when everything is clear like the carrier deck, runway, and lights. Even the moon was pretty clear. The carrier deck has incredible detail now.

It took a while to get used to seeing all of the text and labels in the cockpit clearly. Almost distracting at first. I have only had it a few hours so it will likely improve. I tried changing the shadows to flat but I am not seeing any difference on performance with the way I have the SS.

Here are my current Settings but they will likely change... At the moment I am kind of hoping they don't get rid of SteamVR. If there really is a Windows bug affecting the max res in the Reverb it should only get better. :-) The big surprise for me was the large sweet spot. The main menu is basically all clear. I think it is mainly the luck of my IPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
What settings are you running in DCS? Do you have steam SS at 100% and what Pixel density in DCS?

Just trying to get a feel for what it's running with as my card is similar.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Last edited by Secoda; 06-12-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Secoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 AM   #1528
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secoda View Post
I have SteamVR at 188% and PD at 1.0. There is too big of a performance hit above a PD of 1.0. In SteamVR you can chart CPU/GPU usage and see a huge efficiency boost using SteamVR SS vs PD. I see about 60 FPS next to terrain and 90 towards the sky in SP.

IMO the Reverb is a game changer for DCS. I was just doing Case III carrier landings (night) in the F-18 and the difference between My Lenovo (1440 x 1440) and the Reverb is stunning. It's a lot more fun when everything is clear like the carrier deck, runway, and lights. Even the moon was pretty clear. The carrier deck has incredible detail now.

It took a while to get used to seeing all of the text and labels in the cockpit clearly. Almost distracting at first.
Awesome, sounds like I should not have any issues with my 1080ti. Now just gotta find a Reverb in the US.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #1529
Nagilem

Quick question to the august body on this thread -

I've been messing around tonight since I hopefully will get the reverb in the next week or two. Doing some basic testing with Motion repro in auto, SS at 180%, MSAA off, PD 1.0 and all my textures low except water at medium.

The indicator shows I am constantly CPU bound, or GPU bound, but running MSI in the background is shows that is not the case. CPU running at ~50% and GPU ~50%. Both temps are in the low 60s, and I am not seeing issues with VRAM (~7.5gb of 11) or RAM (~16GB of 32). This is using the default BFM mission against the Mig29. Nothing else around for miles except the one plane. I get very sporadic 90fps when I first start the mission, then repro kicks in and pretty much stays on with the indicator showing CPU or GPU bound with both on the most of the time.

I'm on 2.5.5 on Win10 1809. I get that I may still be GPU or CPU bound with both being used up to 80% but there is quite a bit of headroom left assuming 80% would likely be the cutoff. Oh and looking at each core, I am only using ~25-40% on each core at different times, so I am not seeing one core spike to a high number.

Any thoughts on why this isn't utilizing my GPU and CPU more? I'm wondering if something else broke with 2.5.5...

Last edited by Nagilem; 06-12-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Nagilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 AM   #1530
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
@FearlessFrog - FXAA is possible through the NVidia control panel. I left it off with the o+ because the Anti SDE caused fuzzy distance to begin with. It may work better with the Reverb.
I already turn on MFAA in the Nvidia CP.
As I understand it, the Nvidia driver Antialiasing modes are not used by the Mixed Reality Headset driver render. I've never proved it for sure though, so I could be wrong of course.

I believe only the things like the 'virtual reality pre-rendered frames' and 'power management modes' are used from that side.

Are you sure Nvidia Manage 3D Settings / Antialiasing - FXAA has an visual impact when forced on in VR/WMR? It would be great if it did, but I've not seen it myself so interested to see if anyone has done some A/B tests.