HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 149 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #1481
mac22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagilem View Post
Not sure if its just my luck but started playing around with DCS PD vs SteamVr SS. With the o+, setting the super sampling with DCS PD, I get a lot of ghosting and video defects on the headset and more micro-stuttering. I get a much more stable video feed to the HMD with SteamVR SS turned up and DCS PD @ 1.0. For example BFM with an f14 with PD turned up makes the f14 constantly shimmer and ghost during the fight. I don't have that issue with SteamVR SS, and the visual clarity seems on par.

Current settings - PD 1.0, SteamVR 180% and MFAA and MSAAx2 on. I set textures other than water (@medium) to low, no grass, half trees, shadows flat with both object distance and preload set to extreme and max respectively. MotionVector is on in Steam for re-projection.

Anybody else seeing similar results? This might help on the Reverb since the render pipeline is the same.

using settings similar to you with pretty good results (the key in terms of smoothness seemed to be enabling reprojection in the vrsettings file) - also when you refer to tweaking steamVR SS - do you mean custom resolution to 180% or is there another setting? also I notice there is a motion smoothing in the steamVR settings menu - mine is ticked by default but from other posts don't think this actually does anything?
mac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #1482
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta59R View Post
OK cool ty! So where are you guys getting the 188% business from for the Reverb?
I think that's because the native resolution of the Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, so 188% gets the SteamVR resolution to 2206x2160. SteamVR reports 100% on the Reverb as 1608x1576.

The trouble with that is that it's not taking into account the warp distortion, so I wonder if it's meant to be best targeted at 3024x3024 (as in 2160 x 1.4 ish) or is already included for that headset?

I don't have a Reverb so can't tell, plus would suspect current WMR limits things before getting to a resolution like that. If HP made some more then I could get one.

At the end of the day, all the sliders and adjustments are a balance for clarity and performance, so even doing stuff like undersampling on a Reverb is probably still clearer than a O+ pentile.

One of the reasons the Rift S is so clear despite the resolution is the RGB pixel layout, so it's always more a combination of the panel tech, lens and various stages in the render stack as to what works best for different people.

EDIT: BeachAV8R is documenting his Reverb set-up steps here - in-case it helps anyone in the future.

Last edited by fearlessfrog; 06-11-2019 at 12:27 AM.
fearlessfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #1483
Delta59R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
I think that's because the native resolution of the Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye, so 188% gets the SteamVR resolution to 2206x2160. SteamVR reports 100% on the Reverb as 1608x1576.

The trouble with that is that it's not taking into account the warp distortion, so I wonder if it's meant to be best targeted at 3024x3024 (as in 2160 x 1.4 ish) or is already included for that headset?

I don't have a Reverb so can't tell, plus would suspect current WMR limits things before getting to a resolution like that. If HP made some more then I could get one.

At the end of the day, all the sliders and adjustments are a balance for clarity and performance, so even doing stuff like undersampling on a Reverb is probably still clearer than a O+ pentile.

One of the reasons the Rift S is so clear despite the resolution is the RGB pixel layout, so it's always more a combination of the panel tech, lens and various stages in the render stack as to what works best for different people.

EDIT: BeachAV8R is documenting his Reverb set-up steps here - in-case it helps anyone in the future.

Good stuff! thx
Meshify C, Noctua Industrial Fans, Asus Hero X, Delided 8700k 5.0 HT off, 32gb 4000 c18 Gskill, EVGA SC2 1080ti, Captain 240, Sam 512g pro, Sam 120g pro, Seasonic 1000, MSFF2, Razer Mamba, O+, HP Reverb, 4k Sony TV
Delta59R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #1484
Nagilem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac22 View Post
using settings similar to you with pretty good results (the key in terms of smoothness seemed to be enabling reprojection in the vrsettings file) - also when you refer to tweaking steamVR SS - do you mean custom resolution to 180% or is there another setting? also I notice there is a motion smoothing in the steamVR settings menu - mine is ticked by default but from other posts don't think this actually does anything?
Yes I mean SteamVR supersampling to 180% as a custom setting for the O+. Haven't received the reverb yet. So far, those settings have worked very well. I think DCS still has VR render pipeline issues when reprojection is turned on, so I moved the SS and reprojection to SteamVR and only turned on the post processing MSAA x2 to help with the aliasing in DCS.

It might just be me, but turning up the textures, grass, and trees doesn't make enough difference for me to notice so I turned those down.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:46 AM   #1485
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Well documented that it makes no difference.
Got me on well documented, but it clearly made a difference in my case on a low end system. I documented it quite well. Also made a huge difference in other sims.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #1486
Tinkickef

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Tried all sorts. It’s the dynamic range and contrast that’s missing, not brightness. It’s obvious straight from the DCS loading screens!
Gamma not only alters brightness, it also alters the dynamic range as perceived by the eye. I never use over 1.8 and usually 1.7 - 1.6 depending on mission, as above that, I always found the Rift to look washed out with dull colours. Same with the Reverb.

I really have not noticed any real difference between Rift and Reverb so far. Then again.. individual results may vary.

Other thing... my missions are usually either at night, sunset or sunrise. Never at midday.
System spec: i7 4790k, mainboard - Asus Z97 pro gamer, PSU EVGA Supernova Gold G3 850w. GPU Asus Dual OC 2080TI, 32GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 RAM, Samsung evo 850 boot ssd, Crucial MX500 dedicated Oculus Driver and DCS storage SSD, Seagate 1TB hybrid drive for other stuff, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Buttkicker Gamer 2, dual Inatek 4port USB 3.0 expansion cards.

Last edited by Tinkickef; 06-11-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #1487
Tinkickef

I think I can see why my ground Taxy experience is suffering but want to make sure.

When Steam VR comes online with the small panel and I hit the hamburger and go to settings, it shows reprojection, just above motion smoothing as "On".

Is this not the case, do I have to manually input the line in the thread detailing switching it on to actually switch it on?

It has to be said, I like the Reverb, but I hate the software it needs.

While I am here, if you are tempted to update to 1903, be aware that the stupid bug is back, the one that makes apps disappear from the start menu. To run DCS I had to make a shortcut on the desktop to the actual DCS folder. No idea yet how to run a repair.
System spec: i7 4790k, mainboard - Asus Z97 pro gamer, PSU EVGA Supernova Gold G3 850w. GPU Asus Dual OC 2080TI, 32GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 RAM, Samsung evo 850 boot ssd, Crucial MX500 dedicated Oculus Driver and DCS storage SSD, Seagate 1TB hybrid drive for other stuff, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Buttkicker Gamer 2, dual Inatek 4port USB 3.0 expansion cards.

Last edited by Tinkickef; 06-11-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #1488
boedha68

Ladies and gentleman, The HP Reverb has arrived in the EU! My Reverb is now handed over to the mailcompany in my country! Whoaa... waiting for the mailman! Hope he has a turbo in his car! Sorry, just like a little kid, can't wait!

I saw the posts about Native resolution. Wags mentioned that he send the loaner headset reverb to Moscow. He mentioned too that ED implement the native resolution in DCS, so no worries it just take some time.
I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), 24 GB,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional, Oculus rift CV1 . All DCS modules, maps and campaigns

Last edited by boedha68; 06-11-2019 at 06:55 AM.
boedha68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #1489
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkickef View Post
Gamma not only alters brightness, it also alters the dynamic range as perceived by the eye. I never use over 1.8 and usually 1.7 - 1.6 depending on mission, as above that, I always found the Rift to look washed out with dull colours. Same with the Reverb.
Yes, that is true. It does have an effect on mid-range colours as well.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #1490
TomOnSteam

A headset that allows us to read cockpit instruments? Could it be true? Praise Wagner, let it be true!