[REPORTED]AI will not engage in multiplayer

Not sure if it's an AI issue or MP issue, since it seems to be kinda both. Running a mission in MP (LAN mission, dedicated server on the same machine as the client), the AI will not engage client aircraft. Running the exact same mission in SP, however, the AI will engage just fine. Running 2.5.5.32299.

YouTube demonstrating MP immediately followed by SP (excuse the awful Tomcat BFM)

Relevant time-stamps:

-AI ignoring me in MP: 01:25 - 4:00

-AI engaging me in SP: 06:30 - END

PLBI6r87Dbs

Client and Server tracks attached.

Tomcat 1v1 F-15-20190615-165413.trk

server-20190615-165206.trk

Edited by Nealius

The first time I experienced the problem I had --norender enabled. After reading that other thread I disabled it and saw no difference. The only two things that seemed to work were either enabling the CAP action, or changing CAP to a different role.

I understand that, but now that you have changed that one condition, I ask that you try the --norender again, because there are several other servers experiencing this issue. I would like to see if you are too, now that you have them apparently working again.

There's something Up with DCS right now since last two patches (the big VR one) with AI. It's not just Planes, it's ground too. It's very difficult to get traction with this problem because it relies on really good experience with how DCS works, but I do have that and I'm calling out an issue with AI. I believe it's the VISUAL detection. I don't know if it relates to the OP's problem, but this is the more read thread than my original.

Example tacview play here:

It's Harrier (me), with full bomb load and guns no AIM9 versus two AI R77 equipped Mig-29's.

The AI clearly sees me, launches an R77 and begins to chase. I lead them away and hit the deck. You will see me manouver under them, they seemed to lose track of me as I turned back in because they didn't follow me down or fly pursuit at this point, just seemingly stuck circling. The Tacview makes me look like a genius in a cockpit, and that is simply not true. When i was engaging with guns in what amounts to a flying underpowered brick, the AI never executed its dogfight script. This allowed me to kill both planes (second one RTB'd streaming fuel).

This is NOT pilot skill, since AI have never acted this silly before.

I've seen it before a number of times in different scenarios, mostly Manpads, AAA without radar guidance, and infantry/vehicle versus infantry vehicle. The AI can act as if blind. I've seen red next to blue vehicles inside of THIRTY Metres. What leads me to suspect VISUAL detection is also the way the fog of war and Tactical commander CA slot is not showing detected enemy like it did before.

All units are LATE ACTIVATED in our games (except the players of course).

If ED can take this seriously I dont mind, in this case, to put in the work to do a 'like for like' comparison of previous versions, but until ED talk about this I'm not inclined to put any other effort in to demonstrate the problem because of bitter forum experience. Also I've been told previously not to cross link posts so if you can find my other post in this section there is a picture of two groups of different coalitions sitting next to each other.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I tried the --norender thing myself and didn't see any difference, but I don't think my --norender command is even working at all since DCS still runs the GUI and 3D world. As I understand it --norender is supposed to disable that....

Thank you so much for that link repeat, this at least stops me worrying about it and saves me and the other admin so much time! Kind of difficult to find these tidbits buried in the forum :)

They HAVE acknowledged this problem and that it is apparently related to the --norender option and units that rely on visual identification as you found out.

There have been several threads which I point to in my first post in this one, but here is the one where they acknowledge the bug as reported:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242981

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Unless it was fixed in the recent update, with AI set to CAP, with "search then engage in zone," and the CAP function disabled (-x), starting the server in the GUI didn't make a difference. AI still wouldn't engage unless I enabled CAP (at which point they ignored their orbit and search/engage in zone actions), or unless I changed their role completely.

Yeah, your situation seems unique to you. For whatever reason your --norender not working the same. For many others, its the --norender option the stops the AI from functioning correctly. THis has been acknowledged by ED and they are looking at it.

I have the issue also, bit of a bugger really.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Ye same here, I run 3 dedicated PVE servers and there's not much action going on there, no one is fireing back. I just switched out Vulcans for SPAA Gepard and for short range sams the OSA 9A33. Those are the two i found so far still working in MP. Had a PVE WWII server also but i took that one down, not even the enemy planes would engage. Really hope they fix this soon!

• 3 weeks later...