Shaders mod for better VR performance (experimental) - Page 81 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #801
SilentWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by modda View Post
I got it working by doing the following two steps after installing the VR mod - I've only tested for the F-14 and the F-18

Revert file to original
Bazar\shaders\model\functions\glass.hlsl

Edit includes at the top
Bazar\shaders\model\mirror_material.fx
Code:
#include "common/textures.hlsl"
#include "common/uniforms.hlsl"
#include "functions/vertex_shader.hlsl"
#include "functions/matParams.hlsl"
#include "functions/impostor.hlsl"
#include "common/shader_macroses.hlsl"
#include "common/states.hlsl"
#include "common/states11.hlsl"
#include "functions/structs.hlsl"
#include "functions/vt_utils.hlsl"
That being said, the 2.5.5 update actually increased the performance on my system, the stuttering I usually experience was totally gone. Looking forward to the huge VR optimization in the next OB

Modda
Doesnt work for me :/

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Would you share your files?
Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen!
SilentWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #802
MazerRack

No luck for me, either. Gets stuck booting up. Eventually I just force quit.
MazerRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #803
average_pilot

I removed the 'model' folder from the mod before applying and it worked for me.

EDIT: Not anymore with the last version

Last edited by average_pilot; 06-15-2019 at 07:06 PM.
average_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #804
modda

There were even more changes needed since last OB 2.5.5.32299.
I've updated the dependencies in the Kegetys vr mod and it seems to be working at least on F/A-18, F-14B, Mig-21bis, M2000 Mirage, P-51D and A-10C.
I haven't tested what the FPS impact really is from vanilla DCS.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ps...nwoEYxNclQBzOH

EDIT: No doubt, with this mod I'm on pretty steady 45fps downtown Dubai at low altitude (some drops occurs when touching the streets). Without it it's more steady 30-35 with high's at 45.

Last edited by modda; 06-16-2019 at 10:13 PM.
modda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #805
Chandawg

@modda, got your files to work, then went to multiplayer.... so tried to replace the non compliant files with the ones in the back up, did not work. Did notice there was an improvement in single player though. But I mostly play MP
| CyperPower PC | AMD Ryzen 5 1600 OC'd @ 3.7 GHz | 32Gb Corsair DDR4 2400 MHz | Radeon RX 580 | Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb | 32" Samsung Curve| Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Cougar Stick & Throttle | Windows 10-64 |
Chandawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #806
modda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandawg View Post
@modda, got your files to work, then went to multiplayer.... so tried to replace the non compliant files with the ones in the back up, did not work. Did notice there was an improvement in single player though. But I mostly play MP
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't consider MP to be a factor here, I'll look into it tonight.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #807
DarkClown

Tested this with my PiMax 5K+. Really helped FPS on the deck of the carrier. I'm running 150x SS and couldn't hold 45 (Brain warp on). Sitting at the start of the Caucus cold start carrier mission. After applying this mod I was able to hold 45 no problem. I did need to make this change in _HMD.hlsl:
#define MASKSIZE 0.590f
This got rid of almost all of the masking for the PiMax in Normal FOV. @modda is there a way to make the mask more oval to better mach wide FOV headsets? increasing to .59 meant the top and bottom had less masking than needed.
VR: PiMax 5K+
HDD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO
HDD: WD SSD WDS100T2B0A-00SM50
DarkClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #808
modda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandawg View Post
@Chandawg I've uploaded a new version that seems to work in MP. I had to update the fake_spot_lights.fx as well.
Note: With this mod it seems that you get excluded from the shielded servers for not having a pure DCS installation.

modda
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #809
modda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkClown View Post
Tested this with my PiMax 5K+. Really helped FPS on the deck of the carrier. I'm running 150x SS and couldn't hold 45 (Brain warp on). Sitting at the start of the Caucus cold start carrier mission. After applying this mod I was able to hold 45 no problem. I did need to make this change in _HMD.hlsl:
#define MASKSIZE 0.590f
This got rid of almost all of the masking for the PiMax in Normal FOV. @modda is there a way to make the mask more oval to better mach wide FOV headsets? increasing to .59 meant the top and bottom had less masking than needed.
@DarkClown nice you got it running! I've got a VivePro myself, looking forward to try out a wider FOV

I've updated the _HMD.hlsl adding two factors for masksize and msaa_masksize.
Find the apropriate width (x) first (0.59f) and adjust the height to higher with Y_FACTOR > 1.0 and lower with Y_FACTOR < 1.0. The values must be clamped to [0.0, 2.0] but close to the extremes will give a very useless viewport.
If I understood your problem correctly you'd want it lower, try the y factors at 0.8f

It seems to work as expected in my VivePro, but no guarantees
Let me know how it works for you.

Code:
#define MASKSIZE_X 0.525f // change this to adjust the size of the mask, 0.525f seems to be ok for the Vive
#define MASKSIZE_Y_FACTOR 1.0f
#define MSAA_MASKSIZE_X 0.25f // Mask size used for MSAA - area outside this circle will not have MSAA applied on it
#define MSAA_MASKSIZE_Y_FACTOR 1.0f
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bc...sF870EEXjeci-N

Modda
Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #810
DarkClown

Cool that did make the shape a bit closer to what is in the visible area. These are the values I ended up with:
Code:
#define MASKSIZE_X 0.590f  // PiMax Normal FOV ~150
#define MASKSIZE_Y_FACTOR 0.86f

The PiMax does seem to have a flatter top and bottom than the oblong oval:

And my mom said I would never be an artist

Probably not worth investing any more time on it since the perf gain would be negligible at best, if any.

Thanks for doing the work on this. This mod has a bigger impact on performance then the map changes that went into the OB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape..jpg
Views:	572
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	212171  
VR: PiMax 5K+
HDD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO
HDD: WD SSD WDS100T2B0A-00SM50
DarkClown is offline   Reply With Quote