Black Shark 3? - Page 51 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #501
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
It is interesting that no one is bringing up the fact that the Igla was marketed as an option for the Ka-50... so it might not have been done, but the capacity was planned/considered/offered.

There are even some relatively credible reports that a version was offered with the RVV-AE/R-77 (albeit with a completely new cockpit/nose-section). So, the idea of wiring in an Igla seems pretty tame to me.

The thing that is controversial in my mind is having a third set of hardpoints! That is really sketchy!
Check my posts about the questioning of the cockpit avionics etc.
We have A-A weapons stations selector in the hat, now as double for Vikhr targeting mode programming button A-A mode.
And we have odd translation for jettison A-A ordinance separated from Vikhr or others.
We as well have R-73 mounted on KA-50-2 and there is even photo of KA-50 having R-73 on ground under inner pylon.
There is mentions about IGLAs as third option for weapons, always carried next to Vikhr and rockets.

Many things does not make sense in the cockpit (something that some people takes as a sign that it is a dream for third pylon or demand for something that ain't confirmed) and that requires clarification from Kamov.

For a decade we had people saying that our KA-50 #25 was only a prototype, and doesn't have President-S or A-A weapons. While we had all in the cockpit, labeled "not implemented" or "no function".
And what we know from Kamov is that our #25 was to be upgraded to serial production standard, that ED didn't have back then when making Black Shark module in first place.

There is as well arguments that KA-50 can't launch big missiles like R-73 because it would cause gas problem with engine inlets.
Well, explain then what does a Kh-25 missile do there or S-8 or S-10 rocket pods firing all at once?
How about the huge double rotors above the engines, pushing all fresh air from top to below, on the engines?

So KA-50 can launch huge A-G missile, but not smaller A-A missile? Okay....

Personally I don't care at all about IGLAs or R-73 or third pylons. I want just the Shkval fixed and Vikhr fixed. As the Vikhr is more dangerous missile to anything else as it can intercept you as long you fly low and below Mach 1.2. and you can not counter or by any other means than radical maneuvering (meaning you can't attack at anything or concentrate on anything else) and KA-50 has 12 of those missiles to waste, not 2 or 4.

I want to know that what is the logic in the ka-50 engineers when they were designing the cockpit. What were changed for the serial production and how.
As our KA-50 #25 is from time before the production order.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #502
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
Yes, lets not encourage more fantasy aircraft eh ?
Sukhoi offered a variety of AESA radars for foreign buyers of the Su-27/30/xx, but didn't field them.
Oh no - now we'll have 50 pages of request for EASA radar on Su-27 :
Su-30 is a Su-27... Same with Su-35 etc. All are Su-27 export names.
Our Su-27 is the very first serial production version, Su-27S. Everything else is just an upgrade, a big upgrade to it....

The IGLA has been offered as weapons load for various KA-50 versions, even presented in the airshow procedures.

It is not fantasy, but it is not confirmed either.

If the ka-50 can carry it, it should be there. If not, then not. But it is again question about wiring, not about politics or training.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #503
Harlikwin

Not to detract from the thrilling existential debate over what the Ka-50 was, is and will be. But does anyone know if the President-S system will have some sort of RWR?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #504
3WA

I think it was said in the Russian forums there would be no RWR. Can't remember if Chizh said it or not.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 PM   #505
amalahama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weta43 View Post
This thread has been a classic example of how the internet works.

2 people repeat over and over (truly ad nauseum) their own mistaken belief that:

1/ The Ka-50 only ever existed as an experimental precursor to the Ka-52 that was dropped by the Russian military because of its single cockpit (despite being repeatedly told that there are 15 - 16 examples in service today - Does the fact there were only ever 21 B2 built mean they were never taken into production ?)
&
2/ The Ka-50 at some stage had a variant with 3 pylons - despite having absolutely no evidence of this beyond a failure of imagination regarding an unexplained switch position label in the cockpit.

& eventually so many people have read what they say that their statements become evidence of their own truth, and a myth begins....

By E.D.'s own admission, a Ka-50 with 3 pylons or with mounted Igla is an imaginary airplane. Not a little known experimental version of the Ka-50, just an exercise in imagination.

I don't understand how a community so nit picky about details, and that can argue so strenuously against flight aids as 'cheats', are so happy that E.D. have decided to build a fantasy version of the aircraft because it will make flying it so much more fun....

It's not a simulation of something if the thing its simulating is imaginary, and a 3 pylon Ka-50 with IGLA is an imaginary aircraft (either something Chizh just wanted to do 'cause he liked the idea, or the 'least' imaginary thing E.D. could think of to add the existing module to tempt people into buying another version & so fund the upgrade on the existing Black Shark module).
I agree.

If it comes like that, I wont buy it

amalahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #506
3WA

Well, I for one, have already said I consider the chopper somewhat imaginary, in that there are so many prototypes of it, and it just seems to have been somewhat dumped. I'd like to see a version of what it would most likely look like if it had kept up with production of the Ka-52, which was supposed to be its Group Leader.

And the beauty of this is, those who don't want this, don't have to buy it. As far as I can tell, you're going to get all the bugs fixed in the Ka-50 #25, for FREE!

And people who don't like this new ED version on their servers can simply block it.

So, Win / Win. ED makes more money, and continues to be solvent, and fans of the Ka-50 get an improved copter.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:34 PM   #507
Rogue Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalahama View Post
I agree.

If it comes like that, I wont buy it

Insta flip of the wallet here amalahama, and I will burn you with my weapons and situational superiority.

THe Gazelle is currently THE TOP END DCS PRECISION WEAPON ATTACK HELICOPTER.

All attack choppers have been tested and cleared for air to air missiles, they simply do not need to use them against their current enemies. You will not see choppers carrying them in wars from 1980 to 2019, why? air superiority was guaranteed!
The newer AH-1Z is the only airframe you see at the moment fully weaponized for air to air warfare.
As peer to peer warfare looms on the horizon, you will soon see all other chopper models carrying air to air weapons very quickly.

For ED, KA-50 III creates a much needed buffer zone for USSR choppers, the Hind will be superb but it is not a precision weapon delivery system.
The KA-50 III will fill the gap on the Russian side that will allow ED/3rd party time to develop a western precision attack chopper (apache/Tiger??? I do wonder if the European tiger is a nasty piece of work).
The fact that the KA-50 exists at all in DCS is just as valid as the KA-50 III which was the final development model for the KA-52.
Indeed, one may suggest that the existence of DCS world itself is all based on the KA-50, its reality and true existence is entirely based on the chopper that never was..... weird!

KA-50 III and an update of graphics for our MI-8 and a massive update for our huey is well overdue!
I think the tinky toy FC3 graphics have been updated before the study sim MI-8, Huey and KA-50!
FC3!
Can you imagine the shame I feel!

Last edited by Rogue Trooper; 06-16-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Rogue Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #508
3WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Trooper View Post
THe Gazelle is currently THE TOP END DCS PRECISION WEAPON ATTACK HELICOPTER.
So I hear.

Last edited by 3WA; 06-16-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:29 AM   #509
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WA View Post
I think it was said in the Russian forums there would be no RWR. Can't remember if Chizh said it or not.
That sucks... im mainly getting killed by radar guided aaa and sams.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #510
3WA

You've got to keep your eye's out for them. Intel might also show them on the map.

I don't think I've ever seen a helicopter system with an RWR. There's just no need for it, as you should be keeping low and using cover.

Heli is NOT jet. Stay low, and COVER, COVER, COVER. Even tanks can kill you if you get too close.

This what I mean when I say "Modern Battlefield". Nowday's, everything's mixed up special ops, targets of opportunity, etc. A heli pilot doesn't know what he's going to encounter. Might be Sams, Jets, who knows. And you can see the Russians thinking about this, when they made the Vhiker dual purpose against armor or air targets.

If there's nothing but armor down there, you can fly high to avoid their small arms fire ( somewhat ), but anything else, stay low and keep your eye's peeled.

If there's radar sam / AAA, stay at treetop and below. Use pop-up attacks against them. AAA has VERY short range, so just take them out with Vhiker or rockets at a distance. If you see launch from radar SAM, just fly behind cover or terrain. Remember, Trees are REAL now, and should provide cover.

If jets are coming at you, seek any cover you can find to get out of their radar. Pretty hard to do though, I've been sniped by them even flying 5 feet above a road, between 2 story buildings. Their cannons are like continuous shotgun blasts. Try to ambush them with Vhikers as they go by your cover.

Heli's are slow, and cover and distance are your friends.

Can hardly wait to get AH-1W. Was watching one the other day do a popup attack on a tank. It crept up to the treeline at mid tree level. Pilot popped up above the tree level and fired TOW. Pilot stayed there till missile was about halfway to it's target, and then started to drop down behind the trees again. As he got low, he turned 90 degree and started heading out. Missile is still inbound to target! It's track by wire. And he has a WO to control it. So the WO is guiding the missile this whole time by the TV camera in it's nose. Pilot can do whatever he wants to keep them covered and safe. He was heading out behind tree cover when the missile finally hit the tank. Neat little system. I guess the wire spools from the missile? Can't see how that would work otherwise.

Last edited by 3WA; 06-17-2019 at 05:04 AM.