GPU or CPU?

Well I promised I'll come back to you after the upgrade and here it is:

GPU still the same: GTX 970.

I upped my CPU - now i7 9700K~3.6 MHz, my RAM now 32GiG~3200MHz, my MOBO, and my SSD (much faster now)

and.... hardly any change.

FPS still the same - dipping to about 20 flying low in busy crowded areas. and the occasional flickering black screen.

so I guess that settles it - apparently CPU doesn't have much impact on performance in DCS. it's a pity I dumped about $1500 to find the answer...

Thanks for the update. Kinda glad I did gpu first then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GPU or CPU?

* 3.6Ghz is 3.6Ghz, no matter the CPU, unless this is faster than your old one, zero impact on FPS

* 32GB ram - unless it’s significantly faster speed than your old ram, zero impact on FPS

* new motherboard? - zero impact on FPS

* SSD’s have zero impact on FPS

* 3.6Ghz is 3.6Ghz, no matter the CPU, unless this is faster than your old one, zero impact on FPS

* 32GB ram - unless it’s significantly faster speed than your old ram, zero impact on FPS

* SSD’s have zero impact on FPS

that is incorrect.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

"* 3.6Ghz is 3.6Ghz, no matter the CPU, unless this is faster than your old one, zero impact on FPS

* SSD’s have zero impact on FPS"

That would be true... If it was true. But it's not.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Look at it this way....your new Hardware will keep you sorted for a long time. Do as much research on how far you can Very safely OC your CPU, try to get up to around 4,5Mhz...without bad core temp spikes etc.I suggest Intel R Extreme tuning for this. Then I also suggest using Process Lasso to help your build Focus on running the DCS.exe process and files.

For a GPU ...Unless you can drop 1000 bucks on a 2080ti OC...I strongly suggest a 1080ti. The ti cards are just much better, and a 1080ti still holds its own against the next gen cards . If you just go up to a 980ti...you will have a Big improvement.

Next thing...not sure what cpu cooler you are using...but I use a Kraken X52, keeping temps as low as possible is always good practice, so dont scimp here.

Finally...unless case fan noise really bugs you...let those fans work...push as much air into your case as you can...some components on all your hardware...are not very accurately monitored by Temp sensors...and can run hot causing throttling that is hidden from you. Even your RAM etc..cooler the better.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X Formula

Intel i7- 8700K 4.8ghz

Asus GTX 2080ti OC edition

64 Gb RAM at 3200mhz

Kraken X 72 cooler

Samsung CHG90 monitor at 144 htz

DCS on M.2 drive 500 Gb

* 3.6Ghz is 3.6Ghz, no matter the CPU, unless this is faster than your old one, zero impact on FPS - my previous was i7 2700 ~3.2GHz

* 32GB ram - unless it’s significantly faster speed than your old ram, zero impact on FPS - previous RAM was 16GB 13333

* new motherboard? - zero impact on FPS - just mentioned it

* SSD’s have zero impact on FPS - it does - but not at this case

SB!! out

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

For the FPS, it is all about the graphic card as long as you have a decent enough cpu that will not bottleneck your system.

SSD helps a lot to make it a smooth experience (no stutters) and to load everything much faster like textures. RAM at 16gb+ ( ideally 32) is necessary online on servers hosting heavy missions with lots of people, but 16gb is enough on most servers.

A better motherboard doesnt change much, it helps to get better performances from your memory but in dcs the impact is limited on your framerates. The main benefit is stability of your system ,lifespan of your setup and helps a lot if you want to overclock your components, which is rarely a good idea if you use your computer 24/7 or do not have very effective cooling solutions on top.

You can also make sure to enable the Intel Turbo boost option, which will give you a few extra x00 MHz, while temps are still in range - this works quite good for me (9600K). The turbo depends on the number of cores which are active - so when you disable maybe half your cores you get another GHz invrease.

I used to do it, but somehow DCS 2.5.5 is able to utilize >80% CPU - at least at Caucasus - got the 9600K from 4.1 default Turbo @ all to 4.6GHz (with bequite air cooling)

Verdict:

use Turbo Boost

try to disable cores to further increase clock speed

Well I promised I'll come back to you after the upgrade and here it is:

GPU still the same: GTX 970.

I upped my CPU - now i7 9700K~3.6 MHz, my RAM now 32GiG~3200MHz, my MOBO, and my SSD (much faster now)

and.... hardly any change.

FPS still the same - dipping to about 20 flying low in busy crowded areas. and the occasional flickering black screen.

so I guess that settles it - apparently CPU doesn't have much impact on performance in DCS. it's a pity I dumped about $1500 to find the answer...

your build is good. now you should check your GPU usage while playing. it should be constant 99%. if it was not then your resolution (1080p) is your bottleneck.

* 3.6Ghz is 3.6Ghz, no matter the CPU, unless this is faster than your old one, zero impact on FPS - my previous was i7 2700 ~3.2GHz

Not necessarily. "Instructions Per Clock" is a reference to how many instructions per clock cycle a processor executes. If, as a real world example, an i7 2600k and i7 6700k are clocked the same, the 6700k will perform better because Intel made IPC improvements between the generations. This should translate to better FPS in games compared on otherwise-identical systems and where the game is CPU-limited.

Another example, AMD touts a 15% IPC increase for the new Ryzen 3k versus the Ryzen 2k.

It's not always true that there is an IPC improvement between generations or versus competing CPU's, but you can't simply say 3.6ghz is always the same thing on every processor.

Edited by boscoh

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

GPU or CPU?

It's not always true that there is an IPC improvement between generations or versus competing CPU's, but you can't simply say 3.6ghz is always the same thing on every processor.

that’s technically correct, but generally the differences are small enough that they can be ignored.

as for AMD, we have been keeping our fingers crossed for 12 years or more. god willing, this time it will be different. if ryzen provides better performance in real life (not synthetic tests), I’ll happily switch.

* 32GB ram - unless it’s significantly faster speed than your old ram, zero impact on FPS - previous RAM was 16GB 13333

Intel CPUs are not that dependent on speed actually. It's been tested a lot.

AMD CPUs benefit from faster RAM though.

that’s technically correct, but generally the differences are small enough that they can be ignored.

Ah, now we're getting to the reality of it. It all depends on what generations and what CPUs you compare, and what you consider to be a small difference. Price/performance is a big factor and the end decision is highly subjective based on what you're trying to accomplish.

For the OP: with your new rig, you are GPU limited.

1080ti, 2070, or 2080/ti is what you should be running to take advantage of the rest of your rig for DCS. You didn't waste your money, you just bought a Porsche and put used minivan tires on it.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

Does DCS use more than one core... I have 4 core I-7 4770K. Multi core use would be a major factor in performance within DCS?????

yes. current builds use at least 3 threads which your operating system will assign to any free cores for execution.

your 4 core machine will work great.

Gents:

Does DCS use more than one core... I have 4 core I-7 4770K. Multi core use would be a major factor in performance within DCS?????

CyStryker

It only uses two at any given moment (it will bounce from core to core). One for the Sim and the other for the Sound.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

It only uses two at any given moment (it will bounce from core to core). One for the Sim and the other for the Sound.

On another thread here someone just said that various modules might use more. For example the F14 uses a separate core for radar or Jester

I5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p

On another thread here someone just said that various modules might use more. For example the F14 uses a separate core for radar or Jester

I5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p

I doubt that / dont see how that would work. The DCS.exe would need to tell the PC to do that. I don't think the module can dictate how cores are used.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

GPU or CPU intensive settings?

Does anyone know which of DCS settings are GPU intensive and which CPU intensive?

I can make a guess at some, but an informed opinion would be useful!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I think someone did an exhaustive comparo a while back... Have you searched?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Yep, tried searching but couldn't see anything.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box