Will there ever be a SA342sim? - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #81
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyrius View Post
Sadly alot of the ED's core game focus seems to be developed on a reactionary basis, especially so if it affects their own modules.

So we can only hope that once people buy the Mi-24P and get shot down over and over again because they can no longer play the pure sniping game with Vikhrs they'll get frustrated by the super AI and it gets looked at.
Well I'm sure we get Ataka's or Shturms for it.

Well. This may be my optimistic side talking, but from the little data I have on the mi24 AI includes a "spotting" mechanic, that should be more generalizeable to other AI units. As for responsiveness and "skill" its a tricky thing but it should be fairly easy to code that.

But they also need to have a variable of how likely some AI soldier is gonna shoot at a helo. I can assure you that most will want to go hide under something and not attract the attention of an Mi24. Same for most tank commanders, unless they know they can kill it before it finds them. A shilka on or other AA units on the other hand, of course they are gonna shoot you. But the first thing a TC or soldier is gonna think when they see an attack helo is "does he see me?" And then get on the horn for support. And then think about shooting at it.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 06-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #82
sc_neo

@Blindspot

Did you even read a couple of posts before that Poly is working on a new FM?
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #83
Alec Delorean

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...16&postcount=1

Over 10 years ago, with DCS: Black Shark, ED startet the foundation of what became DCS: World today. One of it's core functionalities was FFB that enabled realistic force trim. For sticks without FFB they introduced the return to center method as a workaround. Logitech's G940 HOTAS got released that time, everyone was thinking that FFB will be more common. Unfortunately that didn't happen and not everyone has a FFB HOTAS. However, every other module (plane or helicopter) that was released since then, has proper FFB support, because it's still one of the best core functionalities of DCS. Every aircraft talks back to you via FFB, it's such a great feature for a sim. Basically, you have to get your mind around that, using a non-FFB stick in all DCS modules means you are using a workaround input method that ignores the feedback that the aircraft is constantly telling you.
Polychop did one big mistake as they started the gazelle project, they ignored or didn't know about FFB support and how deeply it is connected in DCS's input system (you can easily miss it by just using a standard HOTAS). It should have been one of their first steps, go and get a FFB stick before starting to develop something for DCS. It's even more important for a helicopter module! Every other dev team did this and every other module works well with it (i have all modules!). So right now the gazelle is the only module that is not using/supporting 100% of DCS's capabilities and that's why complains are raining since years. There should be a big, red marked announcement on the shop page: NO FFB SUPPORT! This would have prevented a lot of problems.

My hopes are still high that they have learned their lesson and started from scratch with their next project and the later update of the gazelle.

Last edited by Alec Delorean; 06-09-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #84
MrNelz

As someone who has worked on the Gazelle for many years as an engineer and has flown it IRL during test flights I can only say that the stick forces are incredibly light. You fly the Gazelle with fingertips. The only time there is any noticeable feedback is when operating in manual reversion with the hydraulics off (guarded selector switch on collective). There are some faults with the modules FM especially when flying beyond the normal operating envelope but otherwise it is pretty close. I've not flown a SAS equipped model but even without it's a very stable platform.
MrNelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #85
swatstar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNelz View Post
As someone who has worked on the Gazelle for many years as an engineer and has flown it IRL during test flights I can only say that the stick forces are incredibly light. You fly the Gazelle with fingertips. The only time there is any noticeable feedback is when operating in manual reversion with the hydraulics off (guarded selector switch on collective). There are some faults with the modules FM especially when flying beyond the normal operating envelope but otherwise it is pretty close. I've not flown a SAS equipped model but even without it's a very stable platform.
Thanks for the input!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #86
BULLITT83

I flew 2000 flight hours on the real aircraft as an a french army gazelle pilot , and ... i really don t like/recognize the FM ,the feelings on controls, stability , power ....are far far far away from the real one. i would be glad to help to build a better FM for this incredible aircraft. actually mine is at the end of my hangar ...

the left seat and the viviane systeme is really close to the real one ( wonderfull) . really i find very close to what we were doing with VIVIANE , even the picture of this flir is ... really really well done. the controls of the HOT missile is almost perfect . much better than the DX147 we used for training in the army !!!
BULLITT83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #87
Harlikwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT83 View Post
I flew 2000 flight hours on the real aircraft as an a french army gazelle pilot , and ... i really don t like/recognize the FM ,the feelings on controls, stability , power ....are far far far away from the real one. i would be glad to help to build a better FM for this incredible aircraft. actually mine is at the end of my hangar ...
Out of curiosity, how much of this FM "feel" is the issues with sim controls being nothing like helicopter controls? I think this is the big issue for actual pilots converting over to sims. I know my sim controls feel nothing like what they should in the "real" aircraft. So it can be hard at times to say if I move the actual stick like so I expect X, wheras in the sim I can't readily replicate that X easily. And if I can the "feel" is off from what I expect.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #88
zhukov032186

One pilot says it's good.
One pilot says it's bad.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why subjective feelings are useless about these things, or the two pilots would agree.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #89
iFoxRomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
One pilot says it's good.
One pilot says it's bad.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why subjective feelings are useless about these things, or the two pilots would agree.
You will always have different oppinions about a feeling of a flightmodel. Many years ago a pilot told me that the MS Flightsim 2003 (Robinson)was good....

Some pilots tend to think they have to take the limitations of the Home PC equipment into consideration. But that is just an assumption. The negative feedback to the Gazelle's FM is irrelevant to the equipment you use.

I don't go into details, as it was written enough about it. Polychop wants to improve it. We will see. I hope they succeed.

Fox
iFoxRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #90
zhukov032186

Well based on my own experiences with RL vs Simulated flight cross training... the controls you use definitely do make a drastic difference in 'feel'. A lifetime of using short sticks and poor quality controls resulted in a... ummm... ''interesting experience punctuated with creative profanity'' when I first took to the skies and discovered the differences in control. My current setup is a full length, low mounted VKB stick that feels a LOT like the stick in the aircraft I fly. One is good for training, the other caused a ''Coming to Jesus'' moment.

I can only assume the transition is equally jarring when you pass from a real aircraft to what is usually a short desktop mounted stick (most people won't build pits), and x10 for helicopters when without extremely expensive custom helisim equipment what you're using feels exactly NOTHING like the real thing.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote