Advice on how to control the A/C just after take off - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Badders46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Default Advice on how to control the A/C just after take off

Hi guys...

I have flown the Mustang a lot and have actual time in Tiger Moths but I am struggling like mad with the Spit... It just seems so sensitive after take off?

I can get up in the air (not quite as well as the Mustang) but I'm in the air and it is almost as if the aircraft has a mind of its own! Once established in the air, it flies beautifully... Still a bit sensitive but not too bad...

I have tried curves (I have a 10cm in my TMWH) but nothing seems to help with the 30 seconds or so after take off? The Mustang is quite sedate in comparison.

I want to enjoy the Spit as much as I can before the Jug (my favourite) comes along!

Btw, given then have a very similar engine, if not identical (Rolls-Royce Vs Packard) I also think the Spit has superior sounds to the Mustang? Especially when on the ground!

Any advice would be most appreciated! I have tried several ways of taking off (trims etc) and nothing seems to help too much!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Badders46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Shahdoh
Senior Member
 
Shahdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,213
Default

Sounds like you might be rushing her into the air. Do you pick the tail up (push on stick, or trim it to do so) on the rollout? Doing this will let it get more speed on the ground to about 120-140. From there you can relax on the push just a bit and she will fly when she is ready and should feel considerably more stable because of it. Also, do not use flaps IF you have been.

If she still wants to pick the nose up, do not let her, keep it down (and use more nose down trim next time) and the climb slight till the airspeed picks up more.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
cromhunt
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 265
Default

hello
check out this video please ,just follow advices while training a full circuit around.
http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread...tfire-practice
see you next
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
Shahdoh
Senior Member
 
Shahdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,213
Default

Looks like rudder assist is on in that video.....
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
Badders46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdoh View Post
Sounds like you might be rushing her into the air. Do you pick the tail up (push on stick, or trim it to do so) on the rollout? Doing this will let it get more speed on the ground to about 120-140. From there you can relax on the push just a bit and she will fly when she is ready and should feel considerably more stable because of it. Also, do not use flaps IF you have been.

If she still wants to pick the nose up, do not let her, keep it down (and use more nose down trim next time) and the climb slight till the airspeed picks up more.
Cheers for the reply... I start with stick back and then come to neutral and allow the tail to come up and then she wants to lift off herself... Once airborne she gets all kind of skewhiff and takes massively to the right... I have tried less right rudder trim but it doesn't help too much... As a result she also wants to drop the right wing and u just feel like I'm playing catch up all the time.

With the Mustang, I can keep her fairly straight and once in the air, keep her straight too.

I want to love this module as the sounds are great and once in the air i think it's great... Still quite light on the controls though (it seems not a lot of input is needed in comparison to the Mustang?)

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Badders46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
MadCat1381
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 46
Default

The rudder trim gets very effective with increasing speed really fast. You have to use left rudder to counteract this or just trim the rudder back quite quickly. And giving her a little right aileron doesn't hurt either. At least that's my experience.


And yes, you need very little input on the controls. You can actually rip the wings off, if you pull to quick too hard on the stick.
MadCat1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Badders46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Default

So, letting the speed build to 120-140 before lift off has helped a lot... I have had to trim nose down a little though as 1 notch up tends to have her lifting off before I'm ready...

How much rudder trim should I use?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Badders46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
BuzZoo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders46 View Post
So, letting the speed build to 120-140 before lift off has helped a lot... I have had to trim nose down a little though as 1 notch up tends to have her lifting off before I'm ready...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think this is your problem exactly. You shouldn't be lifting off until 120. And the trim should be 2 notches down which helps keep those beautiful big wings from getting too carried away too early. I know some people don't follow that exactly, but that's what I've always done and find it works nicely.


I'd highly recommend doing training missions as it covers this.
BuzZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
Badders46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzZoo View Post
I think this is your problem exactly. You shouldn't be lifting off until 120. And the trim should be 2 notches down which helps keep those beautiful big wings from getting too carried away too early. I know some people don't follow that exactly, but that's what I've always done and find it works nicely.


I'd highly recommend doing training missions as it covers this.
Thanks I did the training mission a while back and I'm sure it said to trim 1 notch up?! Will try your tactic as I have seen an improvement already

Thanks chaps!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Badders46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
BuzZoo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders46 View Post
Thanks I did the training mission a while back and I'm sure it said to trim 1 notch up?! Will try your tactic as I have seen an improvement already

Thanks chaps!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hey sorry, I just realised I made a very important typo. It is 1 notch down not 2. Good luck!
BuzZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.