New Fulcrum PFM is very susceptible to PIO and excessive bounce. - Page 10 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #91
Steinsch
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Again, have checked the pitch attitude and the tail clearance at touchdown? Another 5-10kts less and he would have had a tail strike.
I really don't why this landing makes the impression that he was too fast.

Upon touchdown, the nose wheel doesn't seem high, which makes me think a tail strike was not even close to happen. I still feel it was a late flare, and the fact that the plane didn't stay on the ground after coming down from its bounce makes me think there was too much residual speed. Hence, "he came in too fast". I have almost zero hour in the mig-15 module and have not watched any other videos of mig-15s landing IRL, but the above explains my view.
__________________
Steinsch
Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch
Steinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #92
bbrz
Member
 
bbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinsch View Post
I have almost zero hour in the mig-15 module and have not watched any other videos of mig-15s landing IRL, but the above explains my view.
I wouldn't even remotely think to compare the DCS MiG-15 to the real one!

Regardless how smooth the landing is, the RW MiG-15 landing gear seems to induce bounces: https://youtu.be/gfsx5mwQA-o?t=40

Why are you looking at the nosewheel? The low tail position is the limiting/critical factor.
bbrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #93
Ironhand
Veteran
 
Ironhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
You flare to break/reduce the ROD. Speed reduction, if at all, is just a secondary effect...
Of course you flare to reduce speed or, rather, velocity--speed and the direction it's heading. Even if we disagree as to why he bounced, I think we agree that his vertical velocity (your ROD) was still too fast right on down to the point of touchdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
...
Why are you looking at the nosewheel? The low tail position is the limiting/critical factor.
He's looking at the nosewheel because it's attached to the same airplane as the tail. And I agree with him that it doesn't seem much, if any, higher off the runway than majority of Mig-15 landings I've seen on YT. The tail is, indeed, the limiting factor and it is parallel to the runway because his pitch during the flare is roughly 7° which is about right. The only reason the tail gets anywhere near the runway in that sequence is because of the severe compression of main gear due to the hard landing. I'd say it was a pretty good save from a landing that was a bit high and fast.
__________________
http://rsoro.host22.com/Flankertraining_Images/Flankertraining_Banner-1a.jpg

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #94
bbrz
Member
 
bbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Of course you flare to reduce speed I think we agree that his vertical velocity (your ROD) was still too fast right on down to the point of touchdown.

The tail is, indeed, the limiting factor and it is parallel to the runway because his pitch during the flare is roughly 7° which is about right. The only reason the tail gets anywhere near the runway in that sequence is because of the severe compression of main gear due to the hard landing.
It seems that the misunderstanding partially comes from your misleading/non standard choice of the words speed and fast.

When you say fast, this means only IAS/TAS/GS in aviation. If you are talking about V/S, ROD or sink rate, it's either low or high.

We agree that the sink rate was higher than usual on short final, but the pitch attitude was normal.
The result of this combination is a higher AoA = lower IAS.....that's what I wrote right in the beginning.

Concerning the tail strike; Again, if he would have been another 5-10kts slower!

I mentioned the nosewheel because it has nothing to do with a bounce or 'correct' touchdown speed as long you don't land on the nosewheel or you do a three point landing.

In fact, the faster you are at touchdown, the lower usually the sink rate and the probability for a bounce is even lower.

Last edited by bbrz; 06-18-2019 at 05:29 AM.
bbrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 AM   #95
zhukov032186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 2,154
Default

I love watching you engineering types fight. Makes me want to throw a sliderule or compass down and see which one survives
__________________
Zhukov attacks *FORUM USER* with Legendary Trollsword!
*FORUM USER* Constitution save roll.... Fail!
*FORUM USER* afflicted with ''Hurt Feelz'', -1 Concentration for two rounds
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #96
bbrz
Member
 
bbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
I love watching you engineering types...
That's (almost) an insult. LOL. I'm a pilot and not an engineer and I'm basing my comments almost exclusively on my +17000hrs flying experience.
bbrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #97
Steinsch
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
That's (almost) an insult. LOL. I'm a pilot and not an engineer and I'm basing my comments almost exclusively on my +17000hrs flying experience.
17,000 hours in the cockpit is a lot of experience. That's impressive! What types have you flown if you don't mind my asking?
__________________
Steinsch
Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch
Steinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #98
bbrz
Member
 
bbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 758
Default

That sounds more than it actually is . Almost one third was flying long range on the 767.
Apart from this, basically everything, from small open cockpit gliders via 1-4 engined turboprops to various jets.
bbrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #99
Ironhand
Veteran
 
Ironhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
...my +17000hrs flying experience.
Impressive! Though it pales in comparison to my nearly +600,000 hours as a layman. OTOH I suppose your experience is more topic appropriate than mine.
__________________
http://rsoro.host22.com/Flankertraining_Images/Flankertraining_Banner-1a.jpg

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #100
pepin1234
Senior Member
 
pepin1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,475
Default

this ridiculous PFM need an official video guide by the developers and also an official setup by default for your joystick curve profile. When people do not show good feedbacks about something then the final product was wrong made.

First OF ALL let’s make very clear, that build a physic flight model (PFM) as disappointed and not well accepted by general public like this have a very direct impact in the real life tactical purpose of this fighter. This fighter was made to be deploy all around the front line with the capability of take off and landing in roads. If the developers build a physics flight model that are not allowing THE GENERAL PUBLIC to perform a well made landing even in airfields what we gonna expect for the real life tactics AGAIN by the general players. The not well accepted landing features have been killed the real tactics of this fighter...

Meanwhile they keep busy to video show how to smile well in F-18. This is nasty. Su-27, Mig-21, L-39, Mig-19, Mig-15 are landing user friendly while the most dangerous front line fighter of the planet get a new physics in game that kill the well made for the user player...?
__________________

Last edited by pepin1234; 06-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.
pepin1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.