HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset - Page 152 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #1511
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
Ideally it would be in the Microsoft KB release notes, but who am I kidding

One way to tell would be to edit your config file here:

\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

..and set motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled to true (just uncomment the line) and motionReprojectionMode to auto.

When you start a game you'll get a small square in the top left, which indicates if the reprojection is working or not.

The way to tell if the renderTargetScale 'not being read as 2.0' bug is fixed or not is to edit that renderTargetScale value to '1.0' and go look at the square. Now restart SteamVR / WMR (restart both if you ever change anything in that file, it's only read at start-up) and set it back to '2.0' again. Did the square appear smaller and more to the top left or not when using 2.0 vs 1.0?

If it did then this is fixed, if the 2.0 looked like the same size/position as 1.0 then it's not. It's a good illustration of what is being limited, as it shows the underlying resolution is smaller if not fixed.
Problem is that I can only see that dot in peripheral vision. If I look top left, it disappears!
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · HTC Vive Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #1512
M1Combat

"Yes our VR headsets are the Hololens."

No they aren't.

Nvidia RTX2080 (HTC Vive)
MSI Z77 MPower
Core i5-3570K
24GB G-Skill Trident-X

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals
(UCR - mapping throttle and clutch pedals together to form a rudder Axis)
M1Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #1513
etherbattx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Combat View Post
"Yes our VR headsets are the Hololens."
No they aren't.
for one thing. VR is a lot cheaper
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #1514
Nagilem

Microsoft HoloLens is an Augmented Reality headset from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens
Old 06-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #1515
Nagilem

@etherbattx - uh, ya. by a lot hahaha. MS wants you to pay like the dang thing is made out of gold!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #1516
Secoda

I was thinking I read they shared some WMR API's but it even seems like that isn't true. What a ripoff for the HoloLens.
I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" TV/monitor. HP Reverb Pro. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.
Secoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #1517
Secoda

I have been testing the Reverb all afternoon and coming from the Lenovo Explorer (1440 x 1440) I am really impressed. Just the difference in night carrier landings is stunning IMO but really everything.

It sounds like getting I was even luckier than I thought getting one in the US. My only nit was the heavy cable initially but I solved that. I would not want to walk around with it.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" TV/monitor. HP Reverb Pro. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.
Secoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #1518
mac22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfrog View Post
Just like with the native resolution, WMR is also fairly confusing when it comes to the forms of reprojection it uses. Here's my findings (I'll do a copy/paste rather than offsite link, as I think that is politer here and I've already type it ) :

"If a game can reach around 55 to 60 fps the WMR with the default.vrsettings set to ‘auto’ will use something called ‘motion temporal reprojection’, which is the Microsoft clone of ‘Async Space Warp’ (ASW) on the Oculus side. It looks ahead/behind frames with GPU geometry to work out an in-between frame that’s pretty convincing. This allows the trees to appear smooth at 90 Hz in the headset, but DCS needs to reach about 60 fps.

If a game only reaches about 45 fps or less then WMR falls back to ‘asynchronous rotional reprojection’, which is what the old ‘Async Time Warp’ (ATW) used to be on Oculus, i.e. ok for moving your head around, but bad at predicting things moving outside the cockpit. When you see the cockpit moving ok but the trees to the side ‘jumping’ in WMR then it’s using reprojection but falling back to what it can do.

I didn’t realize before why it falls back to the older algorithm like that, but does explain what people see.

It’s also why DCS will just stick at 45 fps even if motion reprojection is not set to ‘auto’ in that config file or everything is left as defaults - it’s because it defaults to the old ‘asynch rotational reprojection’ by default unless the ASW equivalent is enabled or the app is reaching 90 fps.

It will be interesting if the DCS VR optimizations allow more people to get to 60 fps with more settings maxed out. In my experiments with the WMR reprojection, the ‘motion temporal reprojection’ is very good, i.e. very smooth sideways trees.

REF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...r-steamvr-apps 2

Oh, plus should say. You can turn things on and off in the SteamVR settings stuff for the Valve ‘motion reprojection’ and all those things, then it’ll be completely ignored by the WMR headset. If you see any difference using those settings then it must be a placebo, as the reprojection steps only happen on the Microsoft driver side using its own rules/steps mentioned above I believe.

I think the resolution / super sampling percentage value is probably the only setting from SteamVR that is read, everything else is probably on the Windows WMR side of things.

It seems the best ‘tuning’ algorithm for WMR and using reprojection in DCS would be:

Go to the default.vsettings file and comment out (using //) the motion line, i.e. turn it OFF.

Test DCS with your settings. Adjust them so you get to 55 to 60 fps with the resolution / super sampling you want.

Go back to default.vrsettings and uncomment the line (remove the //) so it says “motionReprojectionMode” : “auto”, in there.

That way you’ll get smooth tree sideways and reprojection working properly. The things I didn’t realize before were:

WMR always has some form of motion reprojection on, it’s just the simpler ‘rotational’ type (where looking sideways causes judders for example) if it can’t make some headroom over 45 fps (it seems typically you need 55 to 60 fps to be safe).

The fancy ‘motion vector’ reprojection is very good, but needs to be turned on in that file. Once on then you’re only ever going to see either 45 or 90 in the fps read-out. Turning it off is useful to adjust detail settings.

WMR is like archaeology on how it works underneath. I half expect to find a stick of a certain length that’s going to refract the sun’s rays over a temple map through a jewel, so we can find out how to do nicer anti aliasing one day… "
interesting post - I think your saying you need to tweak the game so it will hit 55 to 60 fps to get the best motion reprojection - struggling at the moment even using a 2080ti (getting around 40-45 fps...…..can you summarise your settings?
mac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #1519
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secoda View Post
I just got the Reverb two hours ago and setup was basically plugging it in and making one adjustment on the video resolution from my Lenovo Explorer in SteamVR. The clarity and performance on my setup is very good with the way I have the settings. I can read everything inside the cockpit now but also can spot planes a lot better at a distance which I was just testing. The SDE is basically gone although if you really concentrate you can barely make out the very tiny pixels. My sweet spot also took a big jump but my IPD is 64 mm but I am actually using glasses which are working fine. I am very slightly near-sighted with the minimum prescription and am very close to not needing glasses at all. I also thought the audio is very good.

The only complaint I have at the moment is the heavy cable. I routed it around the back over a home theater recliner seat I use and then I forgot about it. A few zip ties might help too. I can't see any mura - even looking at a white screen.

I am curious on folks are handling that cable. The cable seems longer than my Lenovo Explorer.

What settings are you running in DCS? Do you have steam SS at 100% and what Pixel density in DCS?

Just trying to get a feel for what it's running with as my card is similar.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #1520
fearlessfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac22 View Post
interesting post - I think your saying you need to tweak the game so it will hit 55 to 60 fps to get the best motion reprojection - struggling at the moment even using a 2080ti (getting around 40-45 fps...…..can you summarise your settings?
On a 2080, i9 at 5.1 GHz in DCS to run ok and still look good I use MSAA off, Shadows/Terrain Object Shadows: Flat with an O+ at DCS PD 1.0 and Steam SS at 212%.

Everything else you can have as high (well. perhaps not Visib Range) as you like, but has less impact than the using MSAA and the shadows.

I think a lot of people would like a scalable MSAA solution, as it's not ideal yet. Hopefully the VR patch (tomorrow?) will help out some more.

Last edited by fearlessfrog; 06-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.
fearlessfrog is offline   Reply With Quote