Which Mig I should buy? (A/G/S) - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
AeriaGloria

Schmidtfire I wanted to ask, you heard the expanded alpha and g limits are not modeled in our S model? I have no idea, had not personally heard anything either way on that specific subject. I know that’s OT a little but it is important that not all differences are modeled.
AeriaGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
Schmidtfire

I don't think that is modeled. Also real MiG29 has a 4G limit when center tank is mounted. Don't think that limit is simulated. IRST system is over-performing in DCS module. Helmet sight has simplified symbology and functions (is closer to KA-50 type crosshair IRL).. etc.

Flaming Cliffs series modules are a bit simplified. They are still very detailed compared to other sim and flight games but not as detailed as the clickable DCS modules if that makes sense.

Still great fun and a very good value for the money
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #13
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
Schmidtfire I wanted to ask, you heard the expanded alpha and g limits are not modeled in our S model? I have no idea, had not personally heard anything either way on that specific subject. I know that’s OT a little but it is important that not all differences are modeled.
I seem to remember Chizh mentioning something about this on the Russian section once, but I cannot remember if they were going to implement it or just thought about doing it.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidtfire View Post
I don't think that is modeled. Also real MiG29 has a 4G limit when center tank is mounted. Don't think that limit is simulated.
The MiG-29 as such does not have a 4G limit for the centerline tank. All stores come with some restrictions that should be observed by the pilot for safe operation, but they are not systemic - i.e. the flight control system does not impose them.

So its not a limit they can simulate other than the aerodynamic/weight effect of ordinance.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
AeriaGloria

Yes Schmidt, I do agree the IRST probably performs better than its real life counterpart(as it appears equal with the flankersin game), it is a much smaller unit than what’s in the Sukhois.

I always think it’s funny with all the MiG and Sukhoi HMDs that lock on causes green circle to follow the target!
Old 05-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #16
Schmidtfire

Yes. The IRST are overperforming on Sukhois too. Interview with pilots also confirm that it was not very good system. I can see it work together with GCI interception IRL, but in DCS it is very accurate and effective finding targets.

I agree, moving circle on lock is weird. In reality you have a crosshair with a circle. You put symbology over target and slave missile seeker head. Also audio tone should be heard when the missile aquires a target...
Schmidtfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #17
AnsemAsphixya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeriaGloria View Post
Yes Schmidt, I do agree the IRST probably performs better than its real life counterpart(as it appears equal with the flankersin game), it is a much smaller unit than what’s in the Sukhois.

I always think it’s funny with all the MiG and Sukhoi HMDs that lock on causes green circle to follow the target!
Not everything has better performance in the game.
The engines for example.
There are reports of AW in which Valery Menitsky (one of the most awarded Russian pilots, and the chief Mikoyan tester) said that in afterburner power it normally takes 8 sec. to accelerate from 600 to 1100 km/h at low altitude.
There was specified the weight of the plane in reference, it was a configuration for just over 33.000 lbs (15,000 kg or slightly over).

However, in game, we are not at these levels, if I remember correctly someone did some tests and staying on those values we talked about 12 seconds.
Which is about the time taken by an F15 to over 44,000 pounds.

Thanks to all of the answers and to have clarified my doubts, I will be able to start with clearer ideas now.
AnsemAsphixya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
BlackPixxel

When a Sukhoi pilot says the system was not very good, then we cannot really say from that if the system in DCS is worse or better. To me it is also not very good, because it is useless in head on BVR. It is nice for chasing someone, because then it has a good range, which is very plausible.

The range of the laser rangefinder is certainly overmodeled,
BlackPixxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
AeriaGloria

I used to think the laser range finder was overmodeled since it should have 10km or less range, until I read that short blips of radar are used to find range beyond 10km. I should’ve saved the source where I read that....