Storm of War - DCS Historical Server - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
philstyle

Default Storm of War - DCS Historical Server

After a few weeks of testing the Storm of War DCS server is now expected to be up most days, starting this weekend.
The server will be running on the Open Beta. Quiet-days for the server (when it will most likely be offline) are Monday/ Tuesday.

The server's main website is here: http://stormofwar.org/phpBB3/index.php

The server is designed to provide semi-historical mission environments, starting off with missions set during World War Two, using what assets and maps we have as best as possible for now.

The server is realism focused, but have made some compromises where we think necessary for now.
F10 map is avail be for tracking friendly aircraft, due mainly to the use of AI formations of B17s, and hopefully other AI aircraft as ED release them.

The server also has a working customized labels mod to help with contact spotting, despite some of the non-realistic aspects this introduces (contact dots being partly visible through canopies). Until we are happy with ED's contact spotting for players with 1440p, VR and 4k resolutions we will keep the labels mod on.

We are planning to add a statistics section to the website and we are currently working through data availability, to see what we can/ will show. Hopefully the stats will take a pilot-career form, as we did in the past with Cliffs of Dover multiplayer.

AI aircraft are operating on the server. They are designed to provide "environment" mostly. The server is not flooded with AI, but you should exercise caution when flying even if there are no other human players online. This is done to make the server interesting even when player numbers a low.

It is also possible at very limited locations (airfields well to the rear) to spawn in with an A.I wing-man who will fly with you and "help" you out. The spawn points which also provide an AI wing-man are clearly identified in the role selection screen.

Missions on the server will now have a communications menu item which will give the pilot the current status of the GROUND ATTACK targets for their side.
This is accessed from the F10 option in the coms menu.

Each target will either show as:
"ACTIVE" - this means you can consult the brief to get the location, and go attack it, OR
"DESTROYED" - this means you will be wasting your time with further attacks on that target

i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo

Last edited by philstyle; 03-14-2019 at 07:01 AM.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #2
Emmy

Very Nice...

Flying around in Caucuses the other day at sunrise, it struck me that it could make a good stand in for Italy. Great Idea!

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Hunter Joker

Great!

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

http://medusasquad.altervista.org/
http://medusasquad.altervista.org/forum/
https://www.youtube.com/user/garaganotube
Hunter Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
saburo_cz

Spend some time there and like it!
Old 10-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Knock-Knock

Good stuff, looks really good.
How do you rotate between the missions?

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock-Knock View Post
How do you rotate between the missions?
I just add more than one mission to the mission load list. DCS auto-rotates to the next on the list when a mission ends...

Old 10-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Knock-Knock

Ok, just wanted to know if it stayed on a given map for a day, of if like you describe, rotate when ever a mission ends .

| MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | i5-4670K @ 4.3Ghz | 16Gb DDR3 1600 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix OC | Samsung 850 Evo 250 & 500Gb | 40" Sony FullHD | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick (19.5cm extension) & Throttle | MFG Crosswind | Windows 7-64 |
Knock-Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
rogonaut

sounds great will check out! thx
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
DefaultFace

Always good to have more Servers for the WWII part of things in DCS. Out of curiosity what difficulty are the AI set to?

Thanks Phil/SOW and good luck with the Server!

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin
DefaultFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultFace View Post
Always good to have more Servers for the WWII part of things in DCS. Out of curiosity what difficulty are the AI set to?

Thanks Phil/SOW and good luck with the Server!
AI difficulty is mixed.
Section leaders tend to be "high" and "average", wing-men are mostly lower skill levels.

Every A.I. aircraft has a hand picked difficulty level, depending on its place in the formation. This includes the bombers too. The lead bomber crews should be more skillfull than the guys at the tail end of the formation, as a general rule.
But now and then there might be a surprise.