[FIXED] Precision Dive Bombing--Aim Cues Still Leaving HUD

pdmarsh

Precision dive bombing still does not seem to working. The aiming cues are still drifting off of the HUD toward the bottom. This never happened when this module was first released. The QFE is set properly and I have tried quite a few aim and release profiles, i.e. steep and shallow dives, fast and slow. It just seems off. If it's pilot error, so be it, but as I said, it used to work perfectly.

I am flying in the latest non-beta release, 2.5.2.18736.

I would very much like to hear of others see this as well. I realize it could simply be pilot error, or lack of ability.

Thank you,

Paul Marsh

Precision dive bombing still does not seem to working. The aiming cues are still drifting off of the HUD toward the bottom. This never happened when this module was first released. The QFE is set properly and I have tried quite a few aim and release profiles, i.e. steep and shallow dives, fast and slow. It just seems off. If it's pilot error, so be it, but as I said, it used to work perfectly.

I am flying in the latest non-beta release, 2.5.2.18736.

I would very much like to hear of others see this as well. I realize it could simply be pilot error, or lack of ability.

Thank you,

Paul Marsh

I´ve had this happen to me too.

I´m at DCS 2.5.2.19273 Update 6 Hotfix, though. But they're probably the same regarding this.

I'm really not sure though if this is from my pilot error or not.

Hope more can chime in to make it clear if I just need to practice more... or not :pilotfly:

I´ll test it some more myself.

Best regards,

M

I´ve had this happen to me too.

I´m at DCS 2.5.2.19273 Update 6 Hotfix, though. But they're probably the same regarding this.

I'm really not sure though if this is from my pilot error or not.

Hope more can chime in to make it clear if I just need to practice more... or not :pilotfly:

I´ll test it some more myself.

Best regards,

M

Thanks surstromming, I appreciate the response. I have asked a friend to test it as well to help see if it's me or, possibly, the module.

Paul

What I found after testing this tonight was that steeper dive angles causes this to happen.

Can´t say any exact numbers but around 20 degrees or more, especially on lower altitudes.

If coming in really high it was often ok even with steep dive angle.

If coming at around 10 degrees it seems to be ok.

I can't say though if this i is correct behaviour or not?

Maybe it is, and should be like this?

The tests were done starting in air straight for old kobuleti airfield were there were 4 vehicles as targets.

Maybe someone else will come up with either something similar or different?

Best regards,

M

Thanks for taking time to test this, surstromming. I spent more time testing as well and just can't seem to stop the symbology from drifting off the HUD to the bottom. I agree that shallow angles diminish the issue, but it doesn't completely go away for me. Maybe the original flight model was too easy, but this just doesn't seem right. I even raised the virtual seat in the cockpit and lowered the HUD screen angle to try to keep the symbology in view and that didn't work.

Thanks again,

Paul

Well maybe something is different in release vs open beta then?

I definitely did quite a few runs with perfect hits when the sight did not drift under the hud.

I should add though that it was easier to just point the nose down rather than rolling in to the dive.

When rolling it often had a tendency to start drifting.

But if not a too steep angle I could correct it though, by pulling the nose up a bit.

Again, I have no clue if this is the correct behaviour or not.

If we could get some more people the test this it would be good :)

Best regards,

M

I tested it in 2.5.2 stable with no issues (except DCS crashed while I was trying to record my track).

Big takeaway: go safety off only when you get the target in the reticle. This essentially marks that point on the ground and the computer calculates its CCRP based on what the reticle was pointing at when you went safety off.

I tested it in 2.5.2 stable with no issues...

Thanks for taking time to test this--very much appreciated. I will do more testing as well and I'll be anxious to hear what Nicholas comes back with.

Regarding the reticle and timing, I am careful to place the dot on the target before arming the trigger, but a good point nonetheless.

Paul

Sorry, Paul. I shouldn't have assumed. I just picked something obvious where popping the safety early could cause the reticle to drop.

I did test it by bombing the abandoned Kobuleti airfield, which has a QFE less than one millibar from QNH, and I also used 1013 for QNH in the mission. I will retest in NTTR where the normal elevation is closer to 4000ft, and I will adjust the QNH as well.

Sorry, Paul. I shouldn't have assumed. I just picked something obvious where popping the safety early could cause the reticle to drop.

No problem at all, and I readily admit that I want to keep Heatblur on the hook and not assume that an easy answer has been found. I have put quite a bit of time into testing this and feel strongly that it's just not right. Nevertheless, pilot error is certainly possible.

Thanks,

Paul

Ok, I tested in NTTR with 30.06 QNH (don't remember what that translated to in mb), with a QFE in the mid 80.0 mb (significantly less than QNH). I did notice that the FPM started to disappear halfway down the HUD during climbout, and I wonder if this is somehow related. Unfortunately, no video or track; had another DCS crash.

On arriving at the target, I actually started high so I didn't get the reticle dropping out of the HUD. However, the bombs very obviously dropped long, and I didn't even get the drop cue until I was already over the target (bad for freefall bombing). Tried to record again and got a DCS crash, so again, unfortunately no video.

...However, the bombs very obviously dropped long, and I didn't even get the drop cue until I was already over the target (bad for freefall bombing)...

This is exactly what I would see at times as well, late drop cue and bombs going long. I never would see the blinking lines as the symbology was off the HUD by then. It hadn't occurred to me that the drop cue might be late, but it fits with what we're seeing.

Thanks,

Paul

I remember having this issue some time ago. I'll try too on different locations

I believe it started after a change that ED made to weather related code, or something along those lines (barometric pressure, or wind, etc.). Heatblur had fix for this in a later beta build and it seemed to be working better. That fix, I believe, was to be in this most resent stable release. I haven't tried precision bombing in the beta recently, which has itself been updated since the fix for this issue.

Thanks,

Paul

This has been fixed now. Not in time for todays patch though, will (hopefully) be in the one after that. Thanks for the reports!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

This has been fixed now. Not in time for todays patch though, will (hopefully) be in the one after that. Thanks for the reports!

Thank you, RagnarDa! I appreciate the quick attention to this.

Sincerely,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Was the fix for this issue supposed to have been included in the recent stable release 2.5.2.19682? Precision bombing is behaving a bit differently, but still not correctly as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Paul

Was the fix for this issue supposed to have been included in the recent stable release 2.5.2.19682? Precision bombing is behaving a bit differently, but still not correctly as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Paul

No - the stable patch is just a merge of the beta branch (so the exact same)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thank you for the quick response, Nicholas. I appreciate it very much. I didn't think a fix would bypass the beta stage, but I wasn't sure. So, as odd as it might sound, I'm glad to hear it's not in the stable build.

Take care,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

After testing precision dive bombing in beta release 2.5.2.20601, I am not entirely convinced it is yet working as it should. I have found only one delivery profile that works, and maybe that's just the way it is at this point. I can say that, without question, precision dive bombing was much more forgiving in the early days of the Viggen release.

Here is what works for me:

1. Put HUD glass in lower position.

2. Start dive from at least 5,000 meters, higher is probably better until you get better at it.

3. Dive angle must be at least 42° to keep aiming cue from drifting off bottom of HUD.

4. You might have to shallow-out the dive for a bit to get the target further under your nose and to keep the aim cue on the HUD. Again, practice will probably make this easier.

5. The release cue will come at around 2,500 meters. After this it goes away. I believe the release cue was coming much lower than this when precision bombing was working better.

6. So far, my bombs seem to go long a bit. Could be pilot error, but at last I was getting one bomb on target.

If this is expected and/or intended behavior, so be it. If so, was the early DCS Viggen just unrealistic with regard to ease of dive bombing?

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Paul

viggen-prec-bomb.thumb.jpg.3a1128ddc6f613d664d3e9f0c59c71be.jpg

@pdmarsh

Haven't tested it in the latest version - but that seems very different to the procedure Viggen kneeboard suggests - 750m dive altitude and 300m release altitude, much shallower dive. Not sure where those numbers are from, though, no mention of them in the manual.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185454

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

@pdmarsh

Haven't tested it in the latest version - but that seems very different to the procedure Viggen kneeboard suggests - 750m dive altitude and 300m release altitude, much shallower dive. Not sure where those numbers are from, though, no mention of them in the manual.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185454

The version of the manual that I have been using doesn't give altitudes for the procedure. I have been learning by trial and error. I don't recall seeing the kneedboard pages before this, but maybe I just missed them somehow. I'll try those altitudes and see what happens. The numbers I posted came from my latest attempt to get this working.

Thanks,

Paul