F-14D??

OnionSpider13

People come here asking and wishing for the F-14D because of a modern HUD... aren't the F-15 and F/A-18 HUD's modern enough ?

The modern HUD wasn't the only perk the F-14D had. The DFCS and the APG-71 plus enhanced cockpit are bigger deals in my view along with the ability to deploy the JDAM.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Honestly, if someone released a Sopwith Camel five seconds after there'd be a bunch of people asking for it to be fitted with a couple of MFD's a HUD and smart munitions :D

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Honestly, if someone released a Sopwith Camel five seconds after there'd be a bunch of people asking for it to be fitted with a couple of MFD's a HUD and smart munitions :D

Surely you are aware of the Camel-D variant which could mount 4 AIM-120 AMRAAMs and wingtip AIM-9X Sidewinders?

Surely you are aware of the Camel-D variant which could mount 4 AIM-120 AMRAAMs and wingtip AIM-9X Sidewinders?

Meh, need the Snipe with the optional dual over wing guns and wing slung Lewis MGs, revi gunsight and optional super charger and arrest or gear for early carrier operations.

But the F-15 And F/A-18 HUD's aren't on an F-14.

Ok that's a valid point.

It's just that for me, much of the F-14's charisma is preciselly its "old" HUD symbology mixed with its outstanding combat capabilities (fighter/interceptor).

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest,i hate 14b's awkward and useless HUD, i want a more easy to learn and fly Tomcat,but on the other hand, HB may lack many necesscery data to make sure some module

I be willing to pay not more than 150 $ from my emotion,in fact, i think due to A+ and B,D will be set at 80$.

I advise HB could attempt to crowdfunding for D,hhh.

I wouldn't mind an early D without the PTID later scavenged from the retired A's and B's if they have data on those MFD's.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Altough the D would be a cool addition, I like to stay at the A and B.

Those are just real Tomcats and the plane as it is.

The Super Tomcats feel kinda sort of Frankenstein...

No Sir, i don't neet that Sparrohawk HUD, I'm fine with a aircraft for real men.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Altough the D would be a cool addition, I like to stay at the A and B.

Those are just real Tomcats and the plane as it is.

The Super Tomcats feel kinda sort of Frankenstein...

No Sir, i don't neet that Sparrohawk HUD, I'm fine with a aircraft for real men.

Just curious. I would like to understand this real men thingy about the F-14 A and B.

If the A and B were that super and macho, why upgrade to the D before phasing it out.

I like the F-14B external design and the fame that surrounds it but the interior did not cut it for me.

Maybe the depth of weathering by Heatblur contributed.

I love modern/digital avionic suite so a D would be good.

The F-14B occasionally go out for missions this days as she seats in my hangar. A lot to learn on the Hornet as new features comes on board so hoping to get the hang of the F-14B sometime later.

Just me though.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Just curious. I would like to understand this real men thingy about the F-14 A and B.

If the A and B were that super and macho, why upgrade to the D before phasing it out.

I like the F-14B external design and the fame that surrounds it but the interior did not cut it for me.

Maybe the depth of weathering by Heatblur contributed.

I love modern/digital avionic suite so a D would be good.

The F-14B occasionally go out for missions this days as she seats in my hangar. A lot to learn on the Hornet as new features comes on board so hoping to get the hang of the F-14B sometime later.

Just me though.

Completely agree. I think that HB did a fantastic job at recreating the interior of the F14 B, but that green ddi with the 'poop blocks' really subtracts from the immersion when flying in VR. I get that it looks that way back in the 1980s/90s but recreating them in DCS just makes me feel that I'm staring at a toy

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I'm fine with a aircraft for real men.

Or "real women", whatever those things even mean.

In any case, I prefer the more old-school handling as well: FBW jets just feel too sterile and get boring pretty quickly.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Nothing to do with macho, I just like things more where you have to work and need skills.

Let you wife land the F18, mine is not familiar with flying and did it with the first try.

Do that again with the F14, I still see online a lot of people crashing with it during approach.

I just like the challenge and when it is more mechanical. Feels more real and not so sterile.

Probably the same why I prefer older cars instead of newer ones...

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Completely agree. I think that HB did a fantastic job at recreating the interior of the F14 B, but that green ddi with the 'poop blocks' really subtracts from the immersion when flying in VR. I get that it looks that way back in the 1980s/90s but recreating them in DCS just makes me feel that I'm staring at a toy

Maybe you should take a look at A6’s version of poop block, I literally laughed out at it when I first saw it.

Nothing to do with macho, I just like things more where you have to work and need skills. Let you wife land the F18, mine is not familiar with flying and did it with the first try.

Do that again with the F14, I still see online a lot of people crashing with it during approach.

That's interesting since I find it much easier to land the Tomcat since you're in control all the time rather than that assisted PA mode in Hornet. The only times I had issues landing the Tomcat was when they messed up the drag or thrust levels in some patch so it was underpowered at landing so it took me quite some time to adjust.

I don't see what the FBW discussion has to do with the F-14D, though. It only got the DFCS later on together with the other variants.

I personally would love to see the F-14D as well which makes the Tomcat even better with HUD and MFD's and a digitalized radar. It's a pretty cool insight in what could have been.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

So HB has no intention of making the D at this point...or?

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

It's just that for me, much of the F-14's charisma is preciselly its "old" HUD symbology mixed with its outstanding combat capabilities (fighter/interceptor).

Agreed. HUDs and MFDs are boring to me. Makes me feel like I'm playing a computer on my computer.

The ultimate version of the Tomcat plus the AIM-7P would be very welcome additions.

It has nothing to do with FBW according the D.

For me, the HUD and the MFDs from the D just don't belong into a Tomcat...

AMRAAMs don't belong on the F-4 Phantom, yet over time it (the F-4F) was upgraded to employ them.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3