Radar elevation control

WildBillKelsoe

Does this thing really work on the 40 mile setting? I cant spot targets out to 25 miles. Yes I know the acquistion and lock on table but that is technically a flashlight, youre pointing either above you, on your nose, or below you. It should get something, otherwise, why the 40 mile hype included with the radar controls?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The only returns I ever got at this ranges are from big targets and well above the horizon.

Its useless in my opinion... I cant spot targets unless my pipper is horizontal on same level targets touching horizon and under 20 miles, roughly 40 KM. If its not an air superiority fighter, its a close range dogfighter, why include a long range radar?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

The only returns I ever got at this ranges are from big targets and well above the horizon.

This is my observation as well. I am using radar for that range only against bigger planes anyway, after already knowing their approximate position, it's not really radar intended for finding targets, it's mostly intended to be used for gunsight and launch authorization for AIM-9s

Smash 1-1 | Hawk

Its useless in my opinion... I cant spot targets unless my pipper is horizontal on same level targets touching horizon and under 20 miles, roughly 40 KM. If its not an air superiority fighter, its a close range dogfighter, why include a long range radar?

The question is since you have radar with search and track options why you don't support it with a radar guided missile :P

Btw its normal to have hard time to detect targets with all the clutter you looking into. Try to fly high and below your targets, It works fine. 10 miles for a F-5E type era adversary is quite a good distance to find, track and lock.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

I think the manual has detection ranges for different types of aircraft and even for big bombers this is well below 40 nm mark. However, in real aircraft you could spot a formation of aircraft from a bigger distance than a single airplane, as the return echo would increase.

The F-5 radar in DCS is simplified and works like on-off switch - you either see a target or you don't, it doesn't grow or shrink as the signal intensity changes with different radar cross section.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The question is since you have radar with search and track options why you don't support it with a radar guided missile :P

Btw its normal to have hard time to detect targets with all the clutter you looking into. Try to fly high and below your targets, It works fine. 10 miles for a F-5E type era adversary is quite a good distance to find, track and lock.

No its not, especially against radar guided missiles like the R-3R... This thing really gets you in a head on before your little growler comes to life.. Hell even the missile launch is detected audibly but not depicted on display of RWR... :music_whistling:

As to supporting it with radar guided missile, this is a modulation thing not equipped with this useless of a radar..

I'll just say it again

It's mostly intended to be used for gunsight and launch authorization for AIM-9s. That's also why you have switch for DF/DG mode right under your thumb on the stick.

For anything else it's only good to give away your postition to aircraft equiped with rwr.

Edited by cicimicikiller

Smash 1-1 | Hawk