"Avsim Destroyed!!

Timm

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would post this up if you are not aware.

Tom Allensworth, CEO and Publisher of AVSIM, today issued the following announcement; “We regret to inform the flight simulation community that on Tuesday, May 12, AVSIM was hacked and effectively destroyed. The method of the hack makes recovery difficult, if not impossible, to recover from. Both servers, that is the library / email and web site / forum servers were attacked. AVSIM is totally offline at this time and we expect to be so for some time to come. We are not able to predict when we will be back online, if we can come back at all. We will post more news as we are able to in the coming days and weeks. END

Very Very Sad. Timm

Edited by Timm

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.” John Wayne

Damn shiiit :mad:

Great site, I found there TileProxy, very helpful....

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• ED Team

Who the hell wanted to hack the AVSIM site??! They must be *****ng *ssholes!!:gun_sniper::gun_rifle::chair:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080Ti, 32 GB DRAM, HOTAS TM Warthog, FSSB R3 Lighting, MFG Crosswind, Win 10 Pro

What can they possible get out of it other then pissing off alot of people?

When they turn professional, they can show it off (with evidence that it was indeed them) as an example of their skill. So what they get out of it, potentially is a quicker entry into a very lucrative niche black market - contract cracking.

However, it can also be some jackass that just find it fun to be a bitch. Or someone that had a feud for whatever reason.

EDIT: Another possibility is that they will soon ransom AVSIM for the data, if they were able to copy it before the strike. Which is why one should always have backups - and preferably backups that on a daily or weekly bases get shifted to a completely offline storage.

---

All of that aside; this bloody sucks. :(

Edited by EtherealN
Another possibility struck me

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Terrible news. I have been using AVSIM since I don't know when.

Honestly, the CEO of this site should have known what is comming. This page was so technologically outdated that it was open to attacks. Questions was only when, I am surprised it happened so late.

Only he can do now, is to call the police and have the investigation running.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

This is the most stupid incident I've seen. The worst part is the stuff detailed here:

http://linux.myalbemarle.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

It appears that things went down that shouldn't have. The worst part about the backups is the backups were done on the servers, each server was a backup of the other servers.

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP

The owner of the site said that it was an inside job; a web master he hired. Basically, he caught the guy harvesting members' email addresses and started spamming them. Then when he was asked to look into the spamming, he took down the site. Sigh...

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

This sucks. I just made a donation to help out. But I've also had my own problems for the last 5 days. One PC got a virus and another just spontaneously shutoff permanently. It's been years since I've had issues like that. Finally got a new partition up yesterday. Suggestions on where I can put my profiles and scripts?

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

• 2 weeks later...

the forums are back up!

The rest of the site should be back up soon

in other words

the word of avsim's death has been greatly exaggerated!

Oh, anyone who wonders, theres plenty of info on how it went back up here: http://linux.myalbemarle.org/forums/

Current Sims:

DCS Black Shark, Falcon 4.0, X-Plane 9, Steel Beasts Pro PE, IL-2 1946, ArmA 2, FSX, Rise of Flight, EECH, Harpoon 3 ANW, CSP