Why this on/off sound from missile external view?

LotusDragon

Hey, I am wondering why the missile sound is like this in DCS.

When I watch a launched missile from the F6 view I do not hear a continous sound from the missile motor but I have sound which goes quickly on and off. It was always like this in DCS for me but I am wondering which is the physical explanation for this? Is this some kind of supersonic effect?

Or is it a bug? Do you all hear such an on and off sound for the missile motor?

I think I hear the same. Believe its the missile being supersonic, and is influenced you the position of your camera. (The quick on and off shutters can be heard when the camera is to the side of the missile? Complete silence when looking from in front of the missile, and continuous sound when behind the missile?)

The missile sound being dependent on angle is physics and is correct. The stuttering sound when you're camera is embedded in the shockwave is an issue.

I can make a guess and say that the angle that determines when you should hear sound or not is just a single value and not buffered so the sound effect can quickly turn on/off. Whatever it is, it has been around for a while.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Probably working fine.

Shockwaves are not as steady as you'd think, so this ON/OFF sound is quite plausible given you only hear it at certain angle (probably crossing the bow shock front).

But hey, if you want to be sure: measure the Mach, ambient temperature, pressure of the missile, and then verify using this calculator (Real gas effect neglected) if the ON/OFF sound effect appears at the correct camera angle ;) http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/~devenpor/aoe3114/calc.html