EDIT Not active

Burnhard

EDIT: As I'm not currently an active member of my former squadron due to long term real life commitments, I can not advocate for joining that group.

I'll still try to help you out with some quality general guidance, so you don't waste your time! :pilotfly:

In short I can sum up my tips in this sentence: "Find out which level of realism you want, how much time you're willing to spend, etc, be open about this as early as possibleand find an online fellowship that suits your needs."

Here are a bit more fleshed out guidelines I've made, so that you don't waste your own or other's time. :helpsmilie:

Find a squadron/group that: :book:

- has the same level of dedication as you do. If you're into casual ace combat style gaming, join a group with like-minded. If you're into next to real life simulation, with alot of dedication, training and preplanning, join a group with that mindset.

- shares the workload. Running a (hardcore simulation) squadron requires alot of work. You have mission making, trainings and planning of trainings, documents to be made and read and followed up upon etc. These tasks are actually very pleasant to do, when and only when, the workload is shared. Sharing the workload is imperative for running a sustainable community.

- makes you want to participate. This is all about fun. You're not getting paid to do this, neither is the rest of your community. We're all here to have fun. But what actually is fun is very individual. Be open about it! Some find goofing around, airspawning with friendly A2A dogfighting fun. Some find the realism of reading up on real life aircraft manuals of 6-700 pages fun, and knowing all the ins and outs of the aircraft. ASAP be open about your expectations and your planned level of dedication and contribution to the group

- Requires a level of dedication that fits with your real life commitments. Being an expert is king! But not if your marriage is falling apart or if you're wearing your Oculus Rift when your kids should be getting your attention. Real life comes first.

- Allows the fly your preferred airframe in an environment that you actually want to operate in. Are you into PVE or PVP or something in between? This choice of theatre of war has an immensly important role of how you're going to operate. If you'd like to drop bombs with the A10C from 20k ft, forget about it if the sky is skattered with enemy flankers.

Based on my own experiences, me personally have come to the conclusion that I want to be part of a team where we do proper (semirealistic) planning, stick to the plan, operate in a semirealistic environment, mostly PVE as a striker (AJS37, SA342, A10C), and where we all share the workload, and have a high attendance rate, with mandatory 1 event per week, but often attend two or three. :smartass: :thumbup:

You might come to other conlusions. Chose a fellowship that suits your needs, and be a contributor, and you'll have lots and lots of fun! :pilotfly:

Throw out a question in the DCS Facebook-groups, and you'll prly get some likeminded response :joystick:

All the best!

Regards, Burnhard

Edited by Burnhard
Not currently an active member of my former group due to RL commitments
  • Like 1

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup:

Hey Mate,

What timezone are you in - I'm Aus but keen to join and fly the Viggen...

Cheers

james

Me and he is UTC+1

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

- legitscoper

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Laptop Lenovo Y50 intel core i7 Nvidia GTX 860M, 8gb RAM, 275GB SSD

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi! Check my first post, I've edited with some general guidelines on how to chose a community that suits you well. In short: Think about what you want, be open about your needs, find a community where the workload is shared, and contribute to the community.

I can not advocate for one particular DCS community at this time, as I'm no longer part of one due to long term RL commitments. But please read up on my advice if you're considering joining a good community for you. It's well worth the read if you're new to online flight simming with DCS.

Thanks guys! :)

Burnhard

Burnhard

Periferals - HP Reverb - Viper/Warthog grip on VPC WarBRD base - Virpil Mogoos T-50 Throttle - MFG Crosswind rudders - Gametrix KW 908 // HW - 7700k@4.8 - 32GB@3200 - RTX2080TI // DCS Favourites - AJS37 - SA342 - F-16C :thumbup: