Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #61
Random

Reputation power: 7
Random has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman View Post

As for the fabric ailerons I haven't gathered detailed data on the early models so I can't confirm or dispute that. Yet.

Pman
Is that a hint?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #62
Pman
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 14
Pman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Is that a hint?
Never say Never

Pman
Old 06-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #63
tempestglen

Reputation power: 5
tempestglen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I'm very surprised by that graph! Clipped wings made an enormous difference it seems. And even up to 300mph IAS the full wing spit wasn't as bad as I feared in roll.

I'd like to see data for the early fabric aelerons, solid spar and mk 21+ wings. Not relevant to veao's work (as far as i know...) but its claimed the late wings improved rollrate and the fabric aelerons of the early spurs were shockingly bad.
Mk21? Of course its roll rate is awesome, but turn rate maybe degraded.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/sl-wade.html
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #64
tempestglen

Reputation power: 5
tempestglen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman View Post
I dont think that was meant as a reference for the MkXiv but more as an indication as to the marked improvement clipped wings gives vs eliptical ones.

Personally I look forward to smacking a few 190's in a spit XIV

As for the fabric ailerons I haven't gathered detailed data on the early models so I can't confirm or dispute that. Yet.

Pman
Spitfire XIVs take the high speed&altitude air supremacy role; 25lbs spitfire IX in charge of low-medium dog fight, Tempest MKVs apply hit and run; Typhoons do ground attack, that's best configuration of WWII tactic air force.

Spitfire XIV is the best energy fighter in WWII. Britain tactic fighters was leading till 1960S. BAE lightning outperforms Mig21.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #65
Python

Reputation power: 18
Python is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestglen View Post
I prefer clipped wing since spitfire xiv turn rate/climb/speed already good enough, roll rate is the last chance for Dora but clipped wing finishes it.
I was speaking purely from an aesthetic point of view lol. cool graph though. I just don't like the look of the clipped wing or the bubble canopy look on the Spitfire so much personally. But I'm looking forward to this non the less, it is sure to be a winner.

Maybe later on we'll see a Griffon powered Spit like this F MK21...

Different wing entirely...
Old 06-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #66
Pman
3rd Party Developer

Pman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I was speaking purely from an aesthetic point of view lol. cool graph though. I just don't like the look of the clipped wing or the bubble canopy look on the Spitfire so much personally. But I'm looking forward to this non the less, it is sure to be a winner.

Maybe later on we'll see a Griffon powered Spit like this F MK21...

Different wing entirely...
Hah funny you should mention that one, one of my dev team is yapping on about that almost daily (you know who you are!!)

I personally like the Seafang, MkXiV and MkXIX

Also got a soft spot for Mkv and Ia's

Pman
Old 06-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #67
Python

Python is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nice

Haha he has good taste, two against one then... what a machine!! MK XIX is a beauty also though.

The MK.9 is still the nicest though.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #68
Pman
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Haha he has good taste, two against one then... what a machine!! MK XIX is a beauty also though.

The MK.9 is still the nicest though.
Bah, who said I was against it?

Just a case that we don't have a contract for one at the moment

Pman
Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #69
Python

My mistake

Somehow I think the future is bright for DCS...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #70
bongodriver

Reputation power: 10
bongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the rough

Literally 7th heaven with the piston engine renaissance happening.
Closed Thread