Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV

if I look up Mk XIVe armament I will find the XIVe armament......doubt much mention of P-38 nose munted armament.

Oh I see.......you are up to your old tricks again......you rascal you!......'flexible Spitfire wings'........I suppose the dispersion was so bad because of the spitfires rubber wings it could never hit a target?

Edited by bongodriver
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose they could and did. Wing mounted armament practically always has greater dispersion than ground testbeds or engine mounts, not necessarily a bad thing though - with a lot of rounds being fired, they cover a larger area and increase the probability to hit with some of them. The largest errors are introduced by the aiming of the pilot, not the dispersion. Even 15 mils would mean that that the rounds would be within a 1,5 meter diameter circle at 100 meter.

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

• 4 weeks later...
Some various Some additional gun dispersion data, via Olivier Lefebrve / AAW. This might come in handy for modelling the Hispano guns on the Spitfire IX.

Unfortunately only nose mount dispersion data available for the gun, as mounted in the P-38 nose, but given that German results for the same guns in the fuselage and wings display roughly 2-2,5x higher dispersion for wing mounted installations, it would be easy to make an educated guess for the dispersion of the Hispano, and if we get an E variant, for the .50 M2s in the flexible Spitfire wing.

Allied Weapons

------------------

M2 Nose mounted P-38 (USAAF 1944 Gunnery manual)

H = 1.88 m

D = 229 m

H/D = 188/22900

= 8.2 mils (75% = 4.1 mils)

Hispano 20mm Nose mounted P-38 (USAAF 1944 Gunnery manual)

3 mils 75%

6 mils 100% assumed

Unfortunately, this doesn't bear much relevance to the British manufactured Hispanos used in the Spitfire V or IX - the data relates to the American produced M1/M2 cannon, which very unreliable cf the British Hispano II http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-the-hispano-cannon.html http://www.quarryhs.co.uk/US404.htm

plus it had different ballistics. Any "educated guess" would be meaningless without relevant ballistics data and an indication as to the conditions under which the data was gathered. No doubt VEAO and ED have far more useful information on hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I just wanted to know more about the Spitfire PR. XIX you showcased during the VUAF. Is it going to be released with the Mark XIV?

I7 4790k, Asus Z97 Deluxe, 16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3, Gainward GTX 980 Phantom, 2x SDDs Samsung 850 pro & Sandisk Extreme Pro, 1 HDD Samsung, Hotas Warthog with Sahaj' s 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Track IR 5, Wheelstand Pro, CH MFP, Logitech G13.

• 4 months later...

What Navigation Instruments will be Implemented?

Welcome to the Questions and Answers thread for the VEAO Supermarine Spitfire MK XIV.

In this thread feel free to ask any questions you have regarding this module and myself and the rest of the VEAO team will do our best to answer them as best we can.

To cover a few commonly asked questions from the warbirds thread :

• No ETA yet

• The Spitfire as with the other modules will be EFM to PFM standards

• Full ASM

• We will be doing the low back version with clipped wings.

If you guys have any questions for us then this is the place for you!

I can’t promise that we will answer all of them (usual NDA stuff applies etc etc) but we will certainly try!

Keep an eye out for the Eye Candy thread and the Dev Diary not only for this aircraft but for the other warbirds as well!

All the best

Pman

What Navigation Instruments will be Implemented?

Messages #6 and #13 :

===============

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4011

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was hoping for a less finicky compass like what is currently found in ATAG's latest mod to Cliffs Of Dover, but a bit more realistic like in real life as stated in my message's reference articles a few posts back, where the compass needs a reset in 15 minutes or so as to drift instead of a few seconds.

Would be nice if some kind of magnetic compass was added, but British Spits of that era did not have them.

DCSW modules are a bit forgiving as to navigation issues usually adding the kneeboard map as a cheat.

Did radio navigation exist in the Spit XIV of the WWII era?

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was hoping for a less finicky compass like what is currently found in ATAG's latest mod to Cliffs Of Dover, but a bit more realistic like in real life as stated in my message's reference articles a few posts back, where the compass needs a reset in 15 minutes or so as to drift instead of a few seconds.

Would be nice if some kind of magnetic compass was added, but British Spits of that era did not have them.

DCSW modules are a bit forgiving as to navigation issues usually adding the kneeboard map as a cheat.

Did radio navigation exist in the Spit XIV of the WWII era?

ATAG don't have anything to do with Cliffs of Dover's current development. They merely host a forum for Team Fusion who are the new devs.

Spits had a magnetic compass... in Cliffs of Dover its in the wrong position so its hard to see thats all. You are right about the excessive drift on the DI though!

To be quite frank I don't fly cliffs of Dover and they can do a spitfire however they like. I tried it a few years ago and it just wasnt very good in my opinion. Way before I flew DCS and got involved in all this.

We won't be influenced with anything they have or haven't done.

Ours will be based on our own research and access to numerous pilots and 3 airworthy aircraft.

Pman

Edited by Pman

Yes, please! Model it after the "real" planes. If it has a finicky compass that drifts... Then that's what it is. If it's only map, compass and watch on your wrist, then that's it.

May require some people to buy a watch, but we are talking DCS level aircraft.

It never was a wishing-well.

I had some hard times in the Dora and the 109 Kurfürst already.

Yes, challenging, but rewarding as well... After all the brilliant tips and hints from YoYo and some other experienced pilots, I even learned how to take off and land the 109...

If the devs would have compromised or followed the "feedback" they would have dumbed down the flight model and we all would have missed the rewarding part, to master that beast.

So long story short, make it "right" ;)

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 4 weeks later...

I realized now... searching info about this bird, it's a 5 blade propeller!:music_whistling:

I cant find any evidence about it in the forum!:( If it's true what can we expect about it! I mean, any performance enhancement?

cya :D

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, not sure if it been discussed yet, but will this Mk XIV be an early model or the 1945 onward model with the teardrop bubble canopy? Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yeah, I just looked through a few pages and found it, thanks. I'm not a particular fan of the later Spits to be honest (aesthetic-wise anyways). I do hope VEAO will bring out an earlier model MkIX (if they have access to one) or at least a Battle of Britain period Spitfire.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yeah, I just looked through a few pages and found it, thanks. I'm not a particular fan of the later Spits to be honest (aesthetic-wise anyways). I do hope VEAO will bring out an earlier model MkIX (if they have access to one) or at least a Battle of Britain period Spitfire.

I also have access to 2 Mk1's and a whole bunch of other variants but we wont get more in depth into those until the XIV is out

Pman

ED is doing the MkIX.