Q&A Spitfire Mk XIV - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #51
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 106
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

That's it guys, make Pman earn his Nando's

Old 06-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #52
Python

Reputation power: 18
Python is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nicePython is just really nice

Great to hear you'll be using the real thing for the sounds. An area often overlooked. Wasn't DCS: P51 done using the real thing though? I find that somewhat underwhelming at times so I hope you guys can pull it off, while it is no Merlin, the Griffon does have an awesome and powerful sound.. I'd love the full elliptical wing, it's just more appealing, I never did like the clipped wings. But accuracy is even more important so that decision is very understandable. I'm sure we'll see plenty of full winged versions over the years anyway. All the best on this one as with everything else you have on your plates.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #53
bongodriver

Reputation power: 10
bongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the rough

The Griffon is just pure awesome, none of that namby pamby whistling and whining, it just growls across the sky like a prolonged Jeremy Clarkson "POWERRRR!!!".
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #54
Buzzles

Reputation power: 16
Buzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really niceBuzzles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
That's it guys, make Pman earn his Nando's
You know, I did wonder the other day just how many Nandos chickens you could fit in the cockpit of a Spitfire.

I wonder if it would be enough to satiate Pman...
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #55
cichlidfan+
Posting Rights Suspended

Reputation power: 0
cichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to beholdcichlidfan is a splendid one to behold

I think the hot sauce would damage something.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Old 06-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #56
tempestglen

Reputation power: 5
tempestglen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Great to hear you'll be using the real thing for the sounds. An area often overlooked. Wasn't DCS: P51 done using the real thing though? I find that somewhat underwhelming at times so I hope you guys can pull it off, while it is no Merlin, the Griffon does have an awesome and powerful sound.. I'd love the full elliptical wing, it's just more appealing, I never did like the clipped wings. But accuracy is even more important so that decision is very understandable. I'm sure we'll see plenty of full winged versions over the years anyway. All the best on this one as with everything else you have on your plates.
I prefer clipped wing since spitfire xiv turn rate/climb/speed already good enough, roll rate is the last chance for Dora but clipped wing finishes it.

The only ultimate performace spitire XIV coudn't provide is dive while Dora shares rough same dive acceleration with XIV. If you wanna experience best piston dive, get tempest/p47P51s.

Last edited by tempestglen; 06-11-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #57
Random

Reputation power: 7
Random has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura aboutRandom has a spectacular aura about

I'm very surprised by that graph! Clipped wings made an enormous difference it seems. And even up to 300mph IAS the full wing spit wasn't as bad as I feared in roll.

I'd like to see data for the early fabric aelerons, solid spar and mk 21+ wings. Not relevant to veao's work (as far as i know...) but its claimed the late wings improved rollrate and the fabric aelerons of the early spurs were shockingly bad.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #58
MiloMorai+
Posting Rights Revoked

Reputation power: 0
MiloMorai is on a distinguished road

You do know that the Spitfire in the graph is a MK V.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #59
Pman
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 14
Pman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nicePman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloMorai View Post
You do know that the Spitfire in the graph is a MK V.
I dont think that was meant as a reference for the MkXiv but more as an indication as to the marked improvement clipped wings gives vs eliptical ones.

Personally I look forward to smacking a few 190's in a spit XIV

As for the fabric ailerons I haven't gathered detailed data on the early models so I can't confirm or dispute that. Yet.

Pman
Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #60
bongodriver

Reputation power: 10
bongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the roughbongodriver is a jewel in the rough

Nothing after the MkV had fabric ailerons.
Closed Thread