Understanding HDR VS deferred shading

Hey ya all. I little set of questions on the graphical performance in DCS.

I did some FPS counting this evening. My graphical settings were 2x AA, 16x anisotropic, all textures and drawing distances on high and only flat shadows. I flew over Nevada at 20000ft and hugging the tree tops (if there were any). Both over the desert and over Las Vegas (on final to Nellis).

I was mostly interested in the effects on performance that HDR and deferred shading will have. My results were following:

Over the desert at 20kft i had 110-120 FPS both with HDR and without it and 60-70FPS with DS.

Down low, in a 450KIAS dash, i had 60-70 FPS in HDR and without it, while 45-55 in DS.

Over Las Vegas, on final i had 17-20 in HDR and 10-14 in DS.

What aspects do HDR and DS effect to make such a large difference when in the open, while so little difference over "populated" areas? And what would help improve performance in each? Also what parts of the hardware would boost performance in either?

Thanks in advance! Cheers and safe flying! :thumbup:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 3 months later...
Hey ya all. I little set of questions on the graphical performance in DCS.

I did some FPS counting this evening. My graphical settings were 2x AA, 16x anisotropic, all textures and drawing distances on high and only flat shadows. I flew over Nevada at 20000ft and hugging the tree tops (if there were any). Both over the desert and over Las Vegas (on final to Nellis).

I was mostly interested in the effects on performance that HDR and deferred shading will have. My results were following:

Over the desert at 20kft i had 110-120 FPS both with HDR and without it and 60-70FPS with DS.

Down low, in a 450KIAS dash, i had 60-70 FPS in HDR and without it, while 45-55 in DS.

Over Las Vegas, on final i had 17-20 in HDR and 10-14 in DS.

What aspects do HDR and DS effect to make such a large difference when in the open, while so little difference over "populated" areas? And what would help improve performance in each? Also what parts of the hardware would boost performance in either?

Thanks in advance! Cheers and safe flying! :thumbup:

Deferred shading allow the use of a lot more light sources so the quality of the illumination is a lot higher and more realistic. The problem with deferred shading is that is "incompatible" with the Antialising used on DCS and because it you get a big fps loss. Try it without the AA, or with another type of AA forced on the graphic card control panel.

Deferred shading allow the use of a lot more light sources so the quality of the illumination is a lot higher and more realistic. The problem with deferred shading is that is "incompatible" with the Antialising used on DCS and because it you get a big fps loss. Try it without the AA, or with another type of AA forced on the graphic card control panel.

Unfortunately i can't force the AA externally. I tired but it has no effects at all. I tried turning AA off, but the graphics became too jagged. So i had to go with the lowest AA possible at this time (2x) and anisotropic to 2x as well. Some improvement in FPS is noticable, though not always enough, so i try to stay clear from down town LV as much as possible.

What acquisition would help me the best? A new GPU or a new CPU? :book:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It would help you waiting ED for fixing this issue, they are actively investigating and looking for a solution.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbup:

Is it one of the things that should be implemented in 2.5?

with Deferred Shading activated and MSAA OFF my GPU (NVIDIA 970) runs at almost 100% 3D load and dedicated GPU memory usage is at nearly 100% as well. I just hope ED will do something to alleviate that situation before 2.5 is released!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Unknown by now, I (we) hope so :)

You can find an official statement from Wags somewhere in the forums, it was a reply to a thread like this if I'm not mistaken.

Roger that mate!