How much?!?!?!

brettt777

$70 prebuy??? I hope it's worth it!

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

Compared with the us$2,500 that costs the PC needed to run the game, us$70 is almost nothing ... and it is in fact the most important piece, the rig is useless without great software.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I was actually hoping for Heatblur to sell it at $99 (release, not pre-purchase); if you look at the stuff that's out for FSX or P3D, $69 is really inexpensive, considering the hundreds of hours of enjoyment we will get from that module.

Also, as mentioned above, the hardware we buy on a (more or less) regular basis to "play" these modules is what's really expensive here.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The prices are understandably creeping up but for me, we're now in the territory where it's high enough that I won't auto-throw money at modules.

I think there should be a greater incentive to buy modules during EA rather than just pre-purchase since we effectively fund the completion of the module and the start of the next one in many cases.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Um, no, you don't need a 2500 dollar PC to run this game, you can make do with much older and less powerful systems, in fact many of us do. Trying to price folks out of the hobby is a bad thing by trying to insinuate you need thousands worth of hardware. That scares new folks off and flatly isn't true.

As to the folks wishing the price were higher, I'm going to cordially tell you to go soak your head and stop again, trying to price people out of the hobby.

The current price is fine as we're getting 1.5 planes out of it, so we're not in crazy territory for pricing. 20 bucks over the normal price is alright given that fact as well as the Forrestal we're getting. We're getting a decent content to dollar ratio here.

I find these arguments that DCS is getting too expensive pretty invalid. Most civilian simulators price the same for their big ticket modules, if not more. And they are one trick ponies, get you from point A to point B. DCS is pricing its big ticket modules at less or the same (if you take into account pre-purchase discount) and they do multiple things (multiple weapons, sensors etc.). If you ask me, cash for value is much greater on the DCS modules then any other. But then again, if you dont have too much to spare I guess you chose the wrong hobby.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Um, no, you don't need a 2500 dollar PC to run this game, you can make do with much older and less powerful systems, in fact many of us do.

Sorry, but running DCS with a weak PC and a cheap joystick is quite frustrating .. I wouldnt reccomend anyone to play DCS without an appropiate PC.

I dont have a top of the line rig, but if I had to built an equivalent from scratch it would cost about us$2500 ... just the hotas and the VR are 800.

So, paying 70 bucks for the plane I most want to fly doesnt seem excessive to me.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I'm going to call bullshit on that, namely because I recently priced out an upgrade for my PC, both an upgrade price and a total rebuild price and even total rebuild came out to no more than a thousand dollars, and that was being ridiculous on the GPU. VR isn't in a good enough place to justify the added expense if you're looking to actually fight in DCS, and until it is there's no need to try and fight the cryptominers for a 2080, or a Pimax 8k.

That price by the way is if you're looking to run your rig at maximum. Getting in at lower levels you can go as cheap as 600 bucks, and if you're willing to drop to bottom levels of efficiency, you can play this game at a budget of 500.

Anyone who says otherwise is looking to humblebrag. Gatekeeping is bad and I find the snide attitude of those who would say "Spend $2500 or get a new hobby scrub" to be disgusting. You should be looking to expand the playerbase so that it attracts more developers and more content.

I was actually hoping for Heatblur to sell it at $99 (release, not pre-purchase); if you look at the stuff that's out for FSX or P3D, $69 is really inexpensive, considering the hundreds of hours of enjoyment we will get from that module.

Also, as mentioned above, the hardware we buy on a (more or less) regular basis to "play" these modules is what's really expensive here.

Ditto. Can’t stand people crying about developers getting paid for their hard work, especially when in the grand scheme of things it’s a more than fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Yeah I agree that DCS doesn't need to be expensive hobby. I was playing this with a basic Saitek HOTAS and my old computer just fine. Sure you can spend tons of money on your equipment & controllers, it can be one aspect of this hobby - but you can play just fine with much less if you're not too picky and just want to do some flying.

In any case - I don't think $70 is too much for a state of the art plane with two variants, additional assets (carrier), training missions and two campaigns.

I think the campaigns alone are a big deal. No info about missions/campaigns for example in the Hornet info page - which puts me off as I (currently) play only SP. Actual mission/campaign gameplay content is something I surely could use more of. I think the campaigns are a bargain at $9,99 - but the thing is, I feel you really should get something to play with the module itself. So well done Heatblur on that regards.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Yeah I agree that DCS doesn't need to be expensive hobby. I was playing this with a basic Saitek HOTAS and my old computer just fine. Sure you can spend tons of money on your equipment & controllers, it can be one aspect of this hobby - but you can play just fine with much less if you're not too picky and just want to do some flying.

In any case - I don't think $70 is too much for a state of the art plane with two variants, additional assets (carrier), training missions and two campaigns.

I think the campaigns alone are a big deal. No info about missions/campaigns for example in the Hornet info page - which puts me off as I (currently) play only SP. Actual mission/campaign gameplay content is something I surely could use more of. I think the campaigns are a bargain at $9,99 - but the thing is, I feel you really should get something to play with the module itself. So well done Heatblur on that regards.

I agree full heartedly. The 80 dollar price point once the preorder done is quite fair, and i don't begrudge them at all for the price they set. My beef is solely with the people who are saying "We should have to pay more and **** all those people who ain't running a 2500 dollar rig".

... you can go as cheap as 600 bucks, and if you're willing to drop to bottom levels of efficiency, you can play this game at a budget of 500.

OK ... probably those will be the same people complaining on this forum about low fps and how their graphics dont match that seen on the trailers :)

I'm not a native english speaker, so I cant really be sure if you have been a bit offensive towards me on your post, but I dont feel like arguing over this, just will ignore you and move on :(

DCS playing is expensive.

Period.

You should try the real thing!

Now THAT'S expensive.........:D

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3656388#post3656388

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Guys, one rather important aspect I don't see considered here is that this hobby of ours are enjoyed worldwide, by fellow pilots from very different countries when it comes to salaries, import taxes, sales taxes and such things. So throwing around prices for various hardware setups and claiming it sheep or robbery or anything in between really don't have to be correct in an other part of the world than your own. The price you pay might be like a month salary, while another guy has to spend a year salary to get the same setup.

And the price for our DCS modules are the same worldwide, and that will definitely affect different users economies in different ways, some will have to save for it a long time, while others just spend a dinners worth on it.

I don't take side, just want to broaden your view here a little.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

You get 2 versions. Latest plane by ED, which in its current state is worth not more than 30$ is sold for 80$. Unlike the F-18C, F-14B will come with pretty much all the weapons and systems. I am sure all future modules (jets and helis) will cost the same, 80$. As long as they most of the systems and weapons, pre-order is fine.

Am I special?

Every hobby has a cost to it and DCS is the same, if you want new and fancy modules we have to support the developers and since the modules have only increased by $10 - $20 over the last couple of years but the module complexity and content has increased to match it i have no problem at all with the cost.

And as far as pc's go....fear my rig, fear it!

I get around 20 fps on the ground, sometimes up to 40 in the air. I can not play MP very much as its a slide show so i fly single missions i create with small enemy unit count.

But i LOVE IT, so i keep buying modules and supporting the hobby.

System: AMD Phenom IIx4 965 cpu, 12 gig of DDR3 ram, AMD Radeon HD 7970 gpu, Thrustmaster T-flight hotas with no TrackIR (my pc would melt with it i think anyway)

It is unfortunate that some people can afford these modules and some can’t. Sorry that’s just life. For the amount of time, effort and money it costs to produce, they have to make their money back or it wouldn’t be a business would it. And the fact that roughly we get 1 or 2 modules per year and know about them waaaay in advance should entice people to start saving. Or just play the sim for free forever with the free content.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

$70 bucks is the price you pay for a decent bottle of whisk(e)y. Quite frankly I think F-14 should cost more than that.

mighty pilot, so it seems

· Intel i7 8700K 3.7GHz · Asus 1080 Ti · HP Reverb · Virpil T-50CM2 base + stick · Virpil MT-50 Throttle · TM TPR Pedals