Trying to repaint Kuznetsov

Silvern

Check this nifty little tool by uboats: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1744284/

Thanks, that did the trick.

I will be interested to see if this can be done, as I understood it all this new feature allows you to do is add different ships numbers and names to an existing DCS skin.

Let us know how you get on.

Yeah, we are able to repaint whole thing. Like repainting planes.

New liveries then appear in the mission builder, same as with planes or ground units.

I got it to work.

You could take this repaint and just make a description.lua that would call these textures and you would have a selectable livery for Kuznetsov.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/760049/?auth_service_id=Twitter&check_key=a639f9c2de694395413ded104ae27aac

I can't get this to work with any of the ships I have in my Saved Games Mods Folder, the game is not recognising the Liveries.

I'm pretty certain my Liveries instal is correct, the Ship/Mod is appearing in the game but no choice of paint jobs/Liveries. All I am getting is a default option.

How did you get it to work Silvern ?

Yes. I'm doing a simple mod to see how it works but getting nowhere with it.

I'm using the Bahrain freighter as my testbed, it only has a few textures to change and I have created many Mods over the years so I'm pretty sure everything is correct, I have even changed things to be Not Correct to see if that made any difference. I have run out of ideas.

Normally the game will see a new paint scheme even if it wont load or you make a mistake in the lua but I'm not even getting that.

Oh yeah, I know, I use a fair shair of your mods.

Before asking you all this I also maybe a quick test to see how it worked. Using a modded ship...the Bahrain freighter :P

here's the folder I've droppped in Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QpPHUDZSCcRmG9upHt2hGgBlUtsSPrZr

9KWYL3L.png

Edited by Eight Ball

That's interesting, your skins are following the exact same pattern as mine but you have put them into your Saved Games Liveries folder, I was trying to get them to work inside the actual Mod Folder, and it was not working that way.

Many thanks for that Eight Ball, I know what to do now. :thumbup:

PS: I made a very simple mistake with my lua file, so simple it makes Homer Simpson look intelligent ... DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All these years playing around with the game files and the stupidest little mistake tripped me up.. I used the edm extractor to list the textures files by name and forgot to change it from bahrain.lua to description.lua, so I had copied the same mistake into every texture file.

Thanks guys, another lesson learned, possibly !!

I'm going to mess around with this ship now and see if I can create some better looking seagoing freighters with a bit of rust and weathering on them.

Edited by crazyeddie

Glad you got it working :)

I'm going to mess around with this ship now and see if I can create some better looking seagoing freighters with a bit of rust and weathering on them.

I'd be curious to know if you can succeed. This was my plan initially but the UV map (no sure that's the proper term) isn't easy to work with.

Textures are either stretched over a large area (hull) or repeated over and over (bridge structure)

But I'm still very much a newbie with all this so maybe I'm missing something.

the Hull texture

nsp4cyJ.png

The bridge structures (just one texture file covering all this)

EhTUYg9.png

OHkcZyo.png

Yes, that is an issue, this model is actually a bit undersized, it needs to be grown by about 1/8 as well.

It can be made to look a little better than it is, but really it needs a complete rework and I do not have 3dmax and I can't do it with what I have.

I could not raise any interest in converting any of the other free models from CadNav, so I gave up on that project, here is a couple of examples of what they have and it would be great to see some of this stuff in the game, bad sadly not enough interest in models of this quality.

1-13122G95A5921.jpg.1e70d49bbda22b96af7d575ad283347b.jpg

1-13122H024215J.jpg.42e19f3587a0e39bebc33eba428004f7.jpg

1-13122Q62329436.jpg.32b3b42029b59ac280475273df726c76.jpg

Hawkeye and I had this conversation a long time ago, he did the Bahrain Freighter for me at that time (from the same CadNav source) and we had a lot of trouble getting the ship finished in the way I wanted it. Like all modders he wanted to work on his own projects, so we only ever managed what you see today.

My eye for detail is a bit too demanding for some and these conversions take a lot of time and skill to do to a high standard, so not everyone wants to get involved, sadly.

I have raised this idea several times in recent years, but nobody is interested.

OK Ed, I am willing to give it another go!

My skills have improved a great deal since we first collaborated.

So I put this together in about a hour.

It is very much a WIP.

Just a first render and test in sim.

Want to work together again?

I have a cool Texaco oil tanker ship...........

JUAN-SISTER.jpg

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

The freighter works but when I try to do it with my fishing boat it don't.

I'll have another go at it after I do more work on Hermes.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 3 months later...