How do you F5 guys use radar to lock on missiles multi task while flying?

redmantab

Title says it all. I'm a VR user and pressing ; ' , . or whatever the 4 keys are to move the radar lock "thingy" up down left or right WHILE flying is very tough. Obviously you guys can bind it to something on HOTAS or whatnot but, it seems like that may be just as hard.

How on earth do you F5 folks do this? I love the f5. I'm newer but still am pretty well versed in the F5 and this is always tricky.

Please do share

If you use VR, you have to bind the radar cursor to a HOTAS .. its impossible to use the keyboard for this ... if you dont have a Hotas, then purchase one .. even a second hand unit will do :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have it bound to a 4-way hat on my HOTAS but honestly, the radar is useless. I never use it.

It lights me up like a Christmas tree on RWR, I can't pick up anything on it unless it's < 15 miles and if I do I have no IFF so I have to get close enough to make a visual ID anyway.

I have a much better time with the MK1 eyeball and AWACS.

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Also use dogfight missile mode to auto lock when in close

^^ This.

I find the radar to only be useful for tracking large and slow moving objects (AWACS/REFUEL) at range. Your smaller targets are simply too nimble and will immediately start taking steps to evade as soon as their RWR goes off. To counter this, I use AWACS or GCI to vector me in, and only turn radar on once I get a visual and go into dogfight missile/gun mode. By putting the target in the pipper, the radar autolocks. The radar, at this point, is being used solely for ranging purposes. When the counterclockwise rotating range indicator reaches the diamond, you're within range and and can launch/squeeze off a few rounds. Don't make the mistake I did early on thinking that because you have tone you're within range. After wasting quite a few missiles, I learned that's simply not the case.

Edited by Baaz