[NO BUG] B-17G Formation problems - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
rogonaut
Member
 
rogonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 848
Default [NO BUG] B-17G Formation problems

when setting up ww2 big formation at start left, right and back boxes fly in the opposite direction. they join up but if u have bigger formation they crash into each other. i may have done somethin wrong, can someone reproduce?


stable version, did a repair and without mods.
Attached Files
File Type: miz WW II Bomber Defence Cherbourg.miz (11.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by rogonaut; 11-15-2018 at 09:56 AM.
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Blech
Member
 
Blech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 831
Default

Hi,

In your mission I changed for LEFT the LAST WPT to 6 (leading) and they attacked and returned/landed on 4 airfields
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bomber 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	197932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bomber 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	822.8 KB
ID:	197933  

Last edited by Blech; 11-15-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Blech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
philstyle
Senior Member
 
philstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Aeotearoan Republic of Niederbayern
Posts: 1,129
Default

Hi Ragonaut, this can be a real problem.


First, make sure you only add ONE aircraft per unit to start with. Add the unit, set waypoints, formation and position in the group and the weapon loadout.


THEN,


Make sure you have the 2D unit-icon view showing. Add in the remaining 3 aircraft in the group.


Then scroll in to see if the aircraft icons are pointing in the correct direction. IF they are, they should normally spawn in OK. If they are NOT, you will need to add in a new waypoint 1 for that group which will force the icons to rotate into the correct heading. Then once corrected you can remove waypoint 1.


This works for me often, no 100% of the time, but often.


Does that make sense?
__________________
My YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz


i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
rogonaut
Member
 
rogonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blech View Post
Hi,
In your mission I changed for LEFT the LAST WPT to 6 (leading) and they attacked and returned/landed on 4 airfields
so u had no flight direction problems with the mentioned boxes? ai landing pattern is very clumsy...
i will try that.

@phillstyle that makes sence, i will give them a wp1 and check their heading in 2D view and delete afterwoods! Totally forgot about the "new" 2D icons

Thx guys!

Last edited by rogonaut; 11-15-2018 at 12:44 PM.
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Blech
Member
 
Blech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogonaut View Post
so u had no flight direction problems with the mentioned boxes? ai landing pattern is very clumsy...
i will try that.

Hi,

Had no problems

Here are some samples with formations - only the leading group has waypoints
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...5&postcount=27

Your mission is special

Group LEADER has 6 waypoints with landing in FORD
Group LEFT is part of LEADER and will follow LEADER to waypoint 6 (if you set LAST WP to 6) and has its own 2 waypoints with landing in ...
Group RIGHT is part of LEFT and has its own 2 waypoints with landing in ...
Group BACK is part of LEFT and has its own 2 waypoints with landing in ...

I`m astonished that it is working
LEFT/RIGHT/BACK are following LEAD to LEAD`s waypoint 6 and than they continue to land at their own waypoint 2
Blech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
rogonaut
Member
 
rogonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 848
Default

ok weird cause everytime i load my mission they fly in the opposite direction first...

i got the idea from a youtube vid and was amazed myself^^

u should also be able to let them take off and rejoin in a bomber formation bomb stuff and let them split and land gonna try that next

thx for the link i will check them out!
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 AM   #7
canox204
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Hi Ragonaut, this can be a real problem.


First, make sure you only add ONE aircraft per unit to start with. Add the unit, set waypoints, formation and position in the group and the weapon loadout.


THEN,


Make sure you have the 2D unit-icon view showing. Add in the remaining 3 aircraft in the group.


Then scroll in to see if the aircraft icons are pointing in the correct direction. IF they are, they should normally spawn in OK. If they are NOT, you will need to add in a new waypoint 1 for that group which will force the icons to rotate into the correct heading. Then once corrected you can remove waypoint 1.


This works for me often, no 100% of the time, but often.


Does that make sense?
I just spent like an hour trying to figure this out. I had all the 2D models pointing seemingly in the same direction but it still didnt work.
I only had two groups of 4, and my second group would always spawn facing the wrong direction.

My solution was to create your first group of bombers, then copy/paste that so the new group is at the EXACT same angle as your lead group.
You need to delete the waypoints and redo the formation stuff but that finally worked for me (i think)

edit: nope still wont work, well it worked once. tried to recreate it and failed
now it works again. its something LAST WPT

Last edited by canox204; 10-10-2019 at 12:31 AM.
canox204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
DD_Fenrir
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 761
Default

Bear in mind that in reality each element should have only 3 aircraft - it could be that the ED formation logic for WW2 bomber formations is built on this number and making each element a 4 ship could potentially cause issues.
DD_Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:28 AM   #9
canox204
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD_Fenrir View Post
Bear in mind that in reality each element should have only 3 aircraft - it could be that the ED formation logic for WW2 bomber formations is built on this number and making each element a 4 ship could potentially cause issues.
Thats a good point, you are right. I was always trying to do it with 4 bombers.
The proper 'combat box' is 4 groups of 3 bombers.

I just tried it with 3 bombers per group, but you get the same issue.
Unless the groups are lined up at exactly the same heading in the editor, they wont spawn in formation.

I tried manually lining up a second group as close as I could, and they spawned flying the opposite direction.
I copy/pasted my first group of bombers to use as a second group and they spawned in formation properly.
canox204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.